StudentsReview :: Davidson College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wake Forest University -- Winston-Salem, NC
Vanderbilt University -- Nashville, TN

Davidson College

I'm going to be very candid.Not so brightSociology
I'm going to be very candid. I am senior who should have left with the rest of 40 other people who transferred from my class. Coming here was a big mistake. If you are looking for a school that is worth the money ($60,000), Davidson is not the school. You will not have the name recognition, your GPA will be significantly lower than your counterparts at other rigorous colleges, and the social life here is non-existent. People should enjoy their undergraduate experience and that just does not exist at this institution. Everyone here is miserable, and if they tell you otherwise, it's probably because they are suffering from alcoholism. You are better off attending a school with a widely recognized name, rigor and a larger network. Davidson prides itself on its rigor and acts as if other schools ( Duke, University of Chicago, etc.) don't have it, which is asinine. I wish I would have read the reviews on this website as a senior in high school. Usually, if a school is lacking in one area it makes it up in another, Davidson just doesn't. The academics and social life are bad. You will produce A-quality work and receive a B because Davidson can't give out too many A's. That may sound fine at first, but when you are actually planning to do something with your life after Davidson, it becomes increasingly more difficult to explain why your GPA is lower than someone's at Duke or Rice. This school is stuck in the 70s and has an unreasonably inflated ego. If you care for your mental health, post-graduate plans, and want on overall enjoyable experience, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. This school screws you over, puts you in debt and that "Davidson Network "that they brag about is only relevant if you want to stay in Charlotte, NC. If you are thinking about coming here, be smart and don't come here!
4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: F
For all you idealistic 17 and 18 yearQuite BrightPolitical Science
For all you idealistic 17 and 18 year olds applying to college, please, for your own sake, do not go to Davidson College. There is absolutely no good reason to do so. I plead with you to be as realistic as possible and to plan precisely for what you want to do when you enter the "real world." The "real world" does not care about what you think is just.

Here's why:
The rumors about grade deflation ARE TRUE! I'm going to give this rough guideline: A B at Davidson is an A/A+ at a state school and an A- at a comparable school. In fact, that may be too generous to Davidson. I took classes at a state college and I got Bs virtually without trying - the difference WAS UNBELIEVABLE. At Davidson, that same effort probably would have been a D/F. A B at Davidson means you tried relatively hard, but were not perfect.

Why, then, would you go to Davidson if you can earn a better GPA at a comparable school? It makes no sense. I beg with you, do not be arrogant. You may be tempted to think you are so smart because you are in the top 10% of your class in high school. That may be so, but trust me, grade deflation will still affect you.

Secondly, Davidson College is not well known outside the Southeast. That means, any job/grad school outside the SE seeing your mediocre/crappy GPA will pass you over for someone who was pragmatic enough not to go to Davidson. In other words, someone at a state college who has a 3.8 who tried 5x times less than you who got a degree in engineering/finance/accounting will be picked over you. They paid less, they worked less, and now they beat you.

Thirdly, it's absurdly expensive. Unless you just have loads of money to waste, do not major in some useless (I'm sorry) liberal arts degree. Employers prefer someone who has a degree directly related to what they want. Why then, would you choose to get a degree that is not practical? Trying to figure out what you want to do with your life? How about you take a year or two off before going to college. You'll figure it out nice and fast after serving fries at the McDonald's drive through.

Fourthly, the student body is generally not friendly. There are some people there you'll really like, but the majority seems to be standoffish. The atmosphere is pretty much humorless. Most take themselves extremely seriously and try to act like the epitome of the perfect human being. Most are too afraid to speak up in class or even ask questions in front of others. It results in a collective neurosis of students being afraid to be fully human for fear of being seen as a failure or weak. The atmosphere is ripe with fear. And fear leads to unnecessary suffering. Again, not everyone is like this, but the general atmosphere is.

Fifthly, the honor code is unfair to honest students. Yes, that's right. Think about it. What does the honor code actually do? It allows the unscrupulous to cheat and boost up the average class GPA while the honest students suffer. The honest students unfairly look worse relative to the dishonest. Without the honor code, the average GPA may fall further prompting Davidson to finally allow some grade inflation (or perhaps a better term would be undeflating the GPA). I can't prove that this is going on on a wide scale. I do know, for a fact, that people have cheated on tests - some people were caught in one of my classes. Imagine, then, how many are not being caught...And even if the effect of cheating is minor, the school has no evidence that the honor code works. How could they? How could they possibly be aware of how many students cheat if they don't get caught? I know the honor code is one of the school's main selling points, but for the sake of fairness and, ironically, integrity, it should be abolished.

The bottom line? Here's what you need to do to make your life a WHOLE lot easier after you graduate.

1. Either go to a prestigious school that is WELL KNOWN nationally and preferably worldwide or, if you can't get into a school like that, go to a state school, save a ton of money, get a 3.7-4.0 GPA in a very practical major, and graduate with a job. Your life will be much easier in college and you'll have a lot more fun + you'll be secure in knowing what you will be doing after college. DO NOT go to these $50,000/yr liberal arts schools that no one has ever heard of. It's just masochistic.

So here's the deal: Send me a check for $10,000, I'll kick you in the nuts, you take my advice, and we'll call it a day. Trust me, you want to make that deal.

And if you happen to already be at Davidson and you can't transfer out to a comparable school due to a crappy GPA I would either:

A. Accept going to a worse school with a fresh GPA slate and major in something extremely practical.

or
B. Do the most practical thing you can at Davidson: 1) Pre-med 2) Pre-law (I'm not even sure this is practical anymore given how many people are in law school - only do this if you think you can get into a top 10 law school) or 3) Economics - and make sure to take all the accounting courses offered. Economics is at least somewhat close to business. If you must choose another major, then work your ass off and try to get a 3.5-3.6 GPA (that is not easy at all), build your resume for the job you hope to have, or go to graduate school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
University Resource Use/ spending: A+, Education Quality: F
I just graduated from DC this year andQuite BrightBiology
I just graduated from DC this year and while I had fun socializing during my four years, am now discovering how inadequate my education really was. I have not been able to get into any grad schools because of my GPA. in comparison to other schools, is very low. Getting a job is even worse because no one has ever heard of the school! I'm not considered competitive because the breadth of coursework on my transcript is not considered challenging enough or expansive enough. I should have known something was up when I consistently had trouble getting quality internships during the summer of my freshman, sophomore, and junior years...no one would take me. I finally got something last summer but it was not if the caliber I was aiming for.
4th Year Female -- Class 2011