StudentsReview :: Durham Technical Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Durham Technical Community College

Durham Tech absolutely sucks.Quite BrightOther
Durham Tech absolutely sucks. I attended for two semesters and they screwed me over for both of them.

I?m an out-of-State student trying to get credit to transfer to a bigger university. When I first applied and sent over my transcript from my previous university, they ignored it. I went into the office to ask what was taking so long and was told they'd had my transcript for TEN DAYS and just never looked at it. It took half an hour for my transcript to be reviewed right there. But, because they took so long, it was too late for me to register for the spring semester, so I had to be out of school for another three months and start in the shorter semester in March.

The next semester, they screwed up my classes and my money. I was waitlisted for a summer class (how do you waitlist an online class???) so I registered for fall in case I didn't get in. I was removed from the waitlist and enrolled in the class about a week before the class started. The bookstore was SOLD OUT of the online access code. *access code.* how do you sell out of electronic access codes. I was then immediately removed from the class because I had registered for fall. I called and they told me I needed to withdraw from the fall one (so you were able to remove me from summer and refund the money but you couldn't have just removed me from fall?), so I withdrew from the fall. They then re-registered me for the summer and charged a LATE REGISTRATION FEE of nearly $200 more because THEY removed me from the class.

I was also charged out-of-State tuition, because my residency was in the process of being re-evaluated at the time. Someone was supposed to follow up with me about getting that money back, no one ever did. I gave up.

I had two memorable professors, extremely friendly and helpful. The other two were neutral and awful. One was never available, never responded to my emails, never answered my questions. The other gave us a sh*tload of work, half of which did not relate to the topic and was never well explained. She also never answered questions. She consistently graded tests incorrectly and used trick questions to try to catch you off guard. The rest of the faculty was cold and unhelpful most of the time. When I needed to email a prof before the class started one time, I had to visit the entire faculty directory and scroll until I found the right email- I couldn't even use ctrl + f. Not user friendly at all. Overall, I HATED Durham Tech. I tell everyone who asks how much I hated it and how much they screwed up in my time there. I would never recommend and if I could have a do-over I?d choose wake tech.

1st Year Female -- Class 1922
Useful Schoolwork: B+, Individual Value: F
Durham tech is awful, and nothing more thanOther
Durham tech is awful, and nothing more than a few ugly brick buildings surrounded by a crappy parking lot and a chain link fence. The only nice building is the admin one across the street. It is an eye sore, feels more like a prison than an institution of higher education, does not feel safe, and lacks any sense of community pride.There are a few decent teachers, but they are unfortunately out weighed by the unpleasant, rude and lazy ones that are sassy, unhelpful and utterly uninspiring. Despite being in evening classes with other responsible adults that also work all day and are motivated to come to class prepared, do the work and study, we are treated like untrustworthy children that are a hassle to our professors who are clearly unhappy being there and being forced to try to educate us.
I've gone to other schools; I even haveQuite BrightComputer Science
I've gone to other schools; I even have a degree, but decided to go back to school for a career change. However, Durham Tech was a mistake that I plan on correcting soon. The teachers do not know how to teach-they may be experts in their field, but that doesn't make them teachers. Also, it amazes me that web tech teachers can't figure out how to use the school's Sakai program. I have one teacher that can't figure out how to open a lab he created. One online class I took saw the teacher vanish for three weeks, then assign a ton of quizzes and assignments in one week, then disappear for another three weeks. Also, most of the teachers I've had wait a month to grade assignments. On a positive note, I have had 2 great professors, but about 6 professors I'd give a C- or D grade.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015