StudentsReview ™ :: Duke University - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Duke University

I have a love-hate relationship with Duke

May 07 2013English
I have a love-hate relationship with Duke. I did not like the campus atmosphere when I was there (early to mid-1990s). Most students were wealthy, arrogant, and not at all focused on academics. Since then, I have come to look back on my time there with a certain degree of fondness, particularly for the friends that I made and the fun that I had with them. I contribute to the Annual Fund every year, and have volunteered as an alumni admissions interviewer, but every once in awhile I will encounter another alum or a current student who reminds me of all the reasons why I hated going to school there.
Starting Job: Attorney Preparedness: D Reputation: A+

Duke was an amazing

Apr 28 2013Math
Duke was an amazing overall experience. People work very hard and play very hard. Students are inclined to help each other out rather than stab them in the back. Duke was the perfect blend of top-notch academics with a fantastic social life. I could not imagine having to go anywhere else. AWESOME!
Starting Job: Head of Derivatives Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+

While I have nothing to complain about academically

Feb 19 2013Chemistry
While I have nothing to complain about academically (maybe the lack of development in humanities/arts), and all my professors have been friendly and helpful, I would choose a different school because of the social scene. There are students who are happy with just studying and schoolwork, but if you want a life, the social scene is very limited. It mostly consists of a hierarchy of frats/sororities. Exclusive cliques are apparent, usually formed by rich kids from prep schools who all come from the same area and knew each other beforehand. Either you fit into one category or the other, or you feel misplaced and lost. Better parties are exclusive to the select "popular" kids, and racial stereotypes are stronger in my opinion (but I'm from California). You should know what you're getting into before coming here--there is high social pressure and it's hard to simply not care about the social hierarchy. Sometimes, it does feel like high school all over again.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016