StudentsReview :: Duke University - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Duke University

I couldn't have asked

May 18 2014Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I consider myself to be an intellectual, and I did not feel out of place at Duke. Duke's professors are phenomenal and my contemporaries are delightful. I would recommend Duke to any student fortunate enough to be admitted.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B+

I have a love-hate relationship with Duke

May 07 2013English
I have a love-hate relationship with Duke. I did not like the campus atmosphere when I was there (early to mid-1990s). Most students were wealthy, arrogant, and not at all focused on academics. Since then, I have come to look back on my time there with a certain degree of fondness, particularly for the friends that I made and the fun that I had with them. I contribute to the Annual Fund every year, and have volunteered as an alumni admissions interviewer, but every once in awhile I will encounter another alum or a current student who reminds me of all the reasons why I hated going to school there.
Starting Job: Attorney Preparedness: D Reputation: A+

Turned down a lot of great schools for

Jun 14 2014Engineering Department
Turned down a lot of great schools for the chance to come here, including Princeton, MIT, and Columbia, and it has not disappointed me. I fell in love with the people and campus when I visited after being accepted, and I love the university's commitment to becoming the best. Also, being a big fan of sports and good weather certainly helped!

It's not perfect however; I dislike the prevalent Greek Life and exclusivity at times, but the exclusivity and elitist sense is equivalent if not greater at Princeton and Columbia, so that was expected no matter which school I chose, save for MIT. Also, the lack of a nice city surrounding Duke creates a dearth of activities, compared to if I went to college in New York or Boston.

However, overall I'm more than happy with my choice, and would not trade it, even if Stanford had accepted me. Honestly, I feel that no matter which school you attend, you will find a way to be happy and make many friends once you get to know the school better!Best of luck to future Duke applicants!

Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: C