StudentsReview :: Duke University - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Duke University

Spent a year here and transferred out

Jul 09 2014Unknown
Spent a year here and transferred out. Best decision I've ever made. The academics were top-notch -- professors were hands-on and engaged with students. The social scene was abysmal - very dependent on fraternities/sororities and selective living groups (co-ed social groups). Social events after first semester are closed off to people not affiliated with these groups. I've spoken with independent friends who remained at Duke and many of them expressed similar sentiments. On the whole, a great experience academically, but the lack of social programming for independents was disappointing.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A, Innovation: F

I couldn't have asked

May 18 2014Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I consider myself to be an intellectual, and I did not feel out of place at Duke. Duke's professors are phenomenal and my contemporaries are delightful. I would recommend Duke to any student fortunate enough to be admitted.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B+

Turned down a lot of great schools for

Jun 14 2014Engineering Department
Turned down a lot of great schools for the chance to come here, including Princeton, MIT, and Columbia, and it has not disappointed me. I fell in love with the people and campus when I visited after being accepted, and I love the university's commitment to becoming the best. Also, being a big fan of sports and good weather certainly helped!

It's not perfect however; I dislike the prevalent Greek Life and exclusivity at times, but the exclusivity and elitist sense is equivalent if not greater at Princeton and Columbia, so that was expected no matter which school I chose, save for MIT. Also, the lack of a nice city surrounding Duke creates a dearth of activities, compared to if I went to college in New York or Boston.

However, overall I'm more than happy with my choice, and would not trade it, even if Stanford had accepted me. Honestly, I feel that no matter which school you attend, you will find a way to be happy and make many friends once you get to know the school better!Best of luck to future Duke applicants!

Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: C