StudentsReview :: Elon University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Elon University

Buyer BEWARE.Not so bright
Buyer BEWARE. This faux educational institution is not what polished tour guides and faculty members portray it it to be. Unfortunately, I was psychologically conditioned to fall instantly in love with Elon's seemingly sprawling campus, vibrant social life, fine dining and top notch educations, however, once the last tire tracks from parents' vehicles disappeared from the manicured streets of the step-ford like town, the facade dissipated and I saw Elon in its true form as a haven for mentally deficient students accustomed to nothing other than wealth or hereditary privilege and have an aversion to hard work.

The vast majority of the students are drunken imbeciles who are already addicted to drugs at 18 and spend their weekends drowning in clouds of smoke or choking on their own vomit due to alcohol poisoning. When I envisioned the college experience, I was excited at the possibility of meeting young scholars with intellectual fervor, a firm grasp on world issues and the competency to debate the musings of Aristotle concerning democracy, Plato's Theory of Forms or Meta-ethics, instead, I was greeted by close-minded, insolent, supercilious individuals clinging to a deluded sense of self importance.

To my dismay, the professors at Elon cosign the idiotic behavior of students by coddling them and catering to their demands. For instance, in one of my courses the students thought that having to create discussion questions on their own to review for a test was "too much" so the professor ceased this activity. The students complained further about how hard the tests were and asked for specific answers to test questions so that they would not have to work as hard, which was unbelievable in my opinion! Education is characterized by stepping outside of your comfort zone and completing tasks that make you uncomfortable.

Furthermore, many of Elon's professors are incompetent with low self-esteem themselves and posses little competency in educational techniques. I knew more than many of my instructors, who were routinely intimidated by my knowledge and attempted to break my spirit. I was regularly infantilized and condescended to, making me feel like I was in a public high school were a teachers' word is law and there is little room for free thought. Only those imported from Duke University or other superior colleges were worth learning from.

Socially, the students are exclusionary and hostile. I attempted to say hello to a group of girls in an attempt to make friends and was blatantly ignored as well as laughed at, bringing back visions of the middle school lunchroom which I loathed. It is difficult to have a friend circle if you abstain from drinking, smoking and have religious or strong moral principles. Many of the clubs advertised are not active, but look great on paper if you plan to attend graduate school, so there is nothing to do on the weekends. The school has a movie theater, although the movies shown are either decades old or unappealing. On top of that, some dining halls are closed for a day or two on weekends and short breaks, especially the only vegan dining hall on campus, leaving students with dietary restrictions stranded. Most of the students that I encountered were Liberal, which is fine, however, I did not appreciate being given dirty looks/talked about poorly behind my back for carrying a Chick-fil-a bag or expressing a reasonable opinion that countered the majority of the class.

Please do not misunderstand my grievances. I harbor no prejudice against wealthy or economically privileged young adults as I believe that we are all privileged in some form. My qualms are with the entitled and obnoxious behavior specific to the culture of Elon's students. I attended a private high school which costs upwards of 23,000 a year, yet, the majority of the school's attendee's were polite, humble and down to earth intellectuals who valued education. If you are highly intelligent, value your mental health and desire to grow, please do not come to Elon! You will regret it and waste thousands of valuable dollars as the financial aid department leaves much to be desired. Thankfully, I realized that one semester was enough and transferred out of this God forsaken University. I have recovered from this hideous experience, and am grateful that the damage to my psyche was not more extensive.

1st Year Female -- Class 1925
Buyer BEWARE.Super BrilliantPsychology

Furthermore, Elon's professors are incompetent with low self-esteem themselves and posses little competency in educational techniques. I knew more than many of my instructors, who were routinely intimidated by my knowledge and attempted to break my spirit. I was regularly infantilized and condescended to, making me feel like I was in a public high school were a teachers' word is law and there is little room for free thought.

1st Year Female -- Class 1924
Campus Maintenance: A-, Education Quality: F
ELON is a clown college and a bridgeAverage
ELON is a clown college and a bridge to no where. 100% diploma mill...please waste your parents money somewhere else...this is a party school with no plans to help you with an education or your future...greeks run the show... think of this wanna be university as your high school, only you get to sleep here...stay away from this burden of a college...only regrets and puking under the elks...
4th Year Female -- Class 1990