StudentsReview ™ :: Gardner Webb University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Gardner Webb University

Ironically, attending this school was a hellish experience

May 06 2013Education
Ironically, attending this school was a hellish experience for being a Baptist college with predominantly Christian students and faculty. I was good friends with a few girls on my hall, but the majority of the girls I met were insufferably arrogant and snotty brats: the guys were good old-fashioned chauvinists. Most girls attend this place for an MRS degree and the guys are looking to date one. The only useful professors I had were my UNI 111 professors: my religion professor was unbelievably closed-minded. If you didn't spend years of your life with your nose in the Bible, then you're bound to do poorly in New Testament.

I had an ongoing battle with a Registrar staff member that I'll never forget. I sent my immunization records before the start of the school year. I went to their office to get other paperwork adjusted and she refused to do it because I had apparently not sent my records. She was hateful and did not believe me, so I left. My Uni professor stopped me on campus one day to tell me this woman was openly complaining about me, about how rude I was to her. I couldn't believe it. He told me I had to go back and apologize. I did just to appease him, and called my local health department to fax my records (again) to their office (funny that she had record doing so the first time). Big shocker, they didn't "receive" them and shut off my student ID card. I couldn't go into my dorm or buy food. I went back to their office, but unfortunately the monster I was dealing with wasn't there. I explained the situation to another staff member, a much kinder one, and she found both copies on the top of their fax machine.

Basically, this place is a bubble for well-off Christians who don't want to deal with the outside world. Student athletes with a 1.6 GPA are rewarded full rides before academically gifted students. And only 2 gifted students are given full rides per incoming class. No one outside of Cleveland/Polk/Rutherford counties has heard of this garbage dump. Tuition is hilariously over-the-top and every penny you fork over to this place is used to keep the lights on and water running.

Straight A students looking to obtain their Masters degrees aren't lucky enough to attend a decent college next time around: the school is nothing but a giant blemish on your transcript. I transferred to a community college after my first year here and it was more challenging and legitimate. Whatever you do, don't deal with this place.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Innovation: F

The atmosphere at GWU at first appears to

Dec 16 2012Business - Management and Administration
The atmosphere at GWU at first appears to be welcoming and fun. However, as you will experience the lack of town makes it difficult to do anything but party hard. As a result, alot of the students and especially athletes drink heavily and have a snobby attitute if they are an athlete. On top of that, academics depend on the teacher. If you get a bad teacher you will not learn anything! The food is terrible. They serve cafeteria style food and that is really the only meal plan you can have. (They make you have a meal plan). Also, the people are very judgemental and hypoctitical which makes for a diffiult friend finding experience. The school is also very strict about EVERYTHING! You can be 21 and still get into trouble for possesion of alcohol by campus police. Its abaolutely petty and ridiculous. Don't bothrr applying here unless you want to feel depressed and isolated from real life.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Innovation: F

I'm from New England so moving for college

Nov 24 2012Communications
I'm from New England so moving for college to a tiny Southern town was quite the shock for me. But coming to Gardner-Webb was the BEST decision of my life!

I'm a communications major with an interest in radio. The school has an active radio station, WGWG, which broadcasts online and in the surrounding area on air. Even as a first-semester freshman I have been able to volunteer as a DJ a couple afternoons a week, which has been wonderful experience.

Gardner-Webb does have a lot of core requirements since they are a liberal arts school (including an Old and New Testament class) but I have no complaints about that. I enjoy most of my courses. The teachers are knowledgable and friendly. Usually the homework is very easy to manage. There are times when you will have several papers or tests and the same time, but typically things are balanced out.

But the best part of GWU is the people. Most students are super friendly. The student body is also diverse. As I wrap up my first semester I've already made SO many friends, and I can't wait to make even more! Since GWU is located in such a small town, you learn to make your fun. Movie nights, mall trips and going out to eat around town are common things that I do with my friends for fun. There's also a lot of on campus activities. GWU is a Christian school, however they don't force religion down your throat. There are lots of ways to get involved with your faith though; such as a weekly student-lead church service, small groups and missions opportunities.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016