StudentsReview :: Meredith College - Comments and Student Experiences

Meredith College

African American Meredith Alumni here excited to shareBiology
African American Meredith Alumni here excited to share my positive undergrad experience. Quite environment with focused students. The Biology department and English department were excellent. I was able to get a job working at the American Red Cross only 3 months after graduation. Majority of my classes were small and well rounded. Research your major before attending because some are better than others. Being a minority wasn't a problem it was a very loving community.
After graduating, I realized just how stagnant andPerfomance Arts
After graduating, I realized just how stagnant and fractured the overall environment at Meredith really is. It's an old college that seriously needs some updating in its priorities; it's starting to crumble due to the lack of diversity on campus and the unbalanced way its gone about modernizing. Though there is a gigantic new eyesore of a track for our division III athletics, boys still can't be in dorms past a certain time, exploring life outside of campus influence is not greatly encouraged, and you're pretty much cut off from the student body if you don't participate in their traditions. Cornhuskin', formals, the overpriced ritual of getting your junior ring...all of it just wasn't welcoming to people like me who worked off campus throughout the semester and didn't want to join the campus-wide sorority attitude. The faculty really is the students best asset here - they helped me get full-time credit hours for my internships in big cities that gave me a big dose of reality. My best memories of my time at Meredith are of teachers and material I covered in their classes. On the flip side, there is a considerable amount of arrogance in the faculty and staff the students put up with because they know no better - that's just how it is. I wish I could have been more assertive in dealing with that when I was there, but I'm glad I recognize it now. As for quality of education, some majors are cutting edge with new buildings and top notch resources. These majors are traditionally "women's studies", like child development and teaching. If that's what you want to do, I would strongly suggest considering Meredith for school. Otherwise, take a hard look, visit, and ask questions to the faculty, staff, and students of what your interested in to get the truth. I'm grateful for some of the things I encountered at Meredith, but when I look back, so many other things just leave me incredibly underwhelmed. I really wish I could have had a better college experience. I transferred in because it was convenient at the time for me to be in Raleigh and attend a private school due to my unique offer of financial aid, but now I really wish I could have gone to a more dynamic school where the environment wasn't as structured and students were encouraged to discover themselves.
Meredith is a pretty good school, but it'sPerfomance Arts
Meredith is a pretty good school, but it's very uneven in terms of where it gives its time and money. The traditionally "safe" majors for women, like education, social work, and child development, are given lots of attention with top notch faculty and resources. That's to be expected-it's an all girls school caught between tradition and a modern expectation of accountability. It would be a great place to go if you want to study that. We have an autism lab that's one of the best in the country. The offspring of southern wealth with their vera bradley purses and pandora charm bracelets have it made. The rest of us kind of fall in the cracks, and are subject to the whim of poor decision making. Instead of redoing our desperately 1960s autitorium, or starting a nursing major which would have been a financial boom to a floundering budget, the college instead voted to build a ridiculously expensive track and field instead of revamping the old one. Because Meredith is so known for it's athletics. Insert sarcasm here. It seems the college can't budget effectively. Despite a recent freshmen enrollment record, the college still cut several majors, including accounting and french. That's a little disturbing considering they are staples at most other schools. As for the instructors, they are fabulous and are the highlight of the school. Cathy Rodgers and Greg Vitarbo are amazing. There are some that are on power trips and, because of the lack of attention, get away with a lot they shouldn't, but most are very flexible if you get sick and really want to hear what you have to say. They have a high percentage of doctorate holders among them, so you aren't stuck with a TA most of the time. The environment and student body are a little...closed off. Maybe it's the south, maybe it's the easy pace of the school, but it's not what you would call a dynamic environment at all. I was lucky and got my real world training early, but many of these girls whole lives are centered at Meredith. There is no difference between friends, class, work, and campus, and the administration seems ok with that. A friend of mine was practically bullied when she wanted to move off campus before she was a junior. The administration just couldn't see that there might be life outside of campus. I get that its a private school and they can do what they want, but I'm not sure they are considering the long term consequences of not letting students explore by holding labels like "honor council" and the Meredith "honor code" over their heads. It's considered a liberal arts school, but it has a long way to go. The best advice I can give any Meredith or potential Meredith student is to explore as much as you can. If you're enrolled, take an internship out of state that might not be suggested by Meredith and you will be amazed at the faculty support. They are rooting for you to try new things and bring diversity into the school! Overall, we're not an energized campus, but it's a safe place for women to get an education and grow and that's whats important. Just be sure to get some real world experience outside the Meredith womb, or all you'll end up with is a suitcase full of cute t-shirts.

Pensacola Christian College (FL) 2:positive