StudentsReview :: Mars Hill University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Mars Hill University

I was disappointed when I transferred to MarsSocial Work
I was disappointed when I transferred to Mars Hill from Brevard College. At that time Brevard was just a two year so I transferred to Mars Hill to complete my degree in Social Work. Though there were a few excellent Social Work professors at that time the head of the department played petty favorites and only "accepted you" if you dressed a certain way and wore the right jewelry. My Dad had a major stroke my senior year and almost died. A few professors prayed for my Dad and one even visited him at the VA Hospital in Asheville. I have always appreciate that care for someone these professors did not even know. There was not much to do socially on campus and the town is extremely small. It is so remote I got bored, especially after 2 years at Brevard where there was a great college town, local waterfalls, and Pisgah Forest. I just could not stop comparing. The classes at Mars Hill were more like high school. I felt like it was an extension of that whole scene of what are you wearing and who can you get for a boyfriend. All these years later I wish I had transferred instead to Wake Forest as it has a national reputation and people whp have gone there share it was a wonderful experience. I do appreciate the kindness of my professors when my dad was sick. I did not have much money and I think some professors figured that out too. Their true faith was in evidence and a sharp contrast to the other professor who judged students by their clothing and jewelry rather than the content of their character. If you are not an outgoing person and content with a small town atmosphere with classes that scratch the surface then by all means head to MHC. If not, visit lots of other choices. I should have.
MHC is a school that is only forAverageBiology
MHC is a school that is only for a handful of students who do not mind being located in the middle of nowhere and like very conservative people. However, I will say the school offers beautiful scenery and historical charm. Aside from the schools aesthetics, the actual educational part is not very challenging. Many professors, in my opinion, do not put much effort in test or finals. But I truly believe the school can only be rated if comparing majors and there corresponding curriculums. To be honest when I first was accepted into Mars Hill College I was very excited. Though the campus was small, I felt it gave me enough room to grow as a person mentally and academically. I soon came to the conclusion that the school began to lack in extracurricular activities, clubs, and academically challenging courses, thus I had reached my maximum capacity of growth at MHC and needed to transfer. While at MHC I will inform you that security (it may be changing) made me feel uncomfortable due to many incidents that had occurred during my lovely stay. The caf was recently renovated and the food is not bad but it could use some vamping up. It?s boring, sometimes tasteless and usually a repeated dish. They recently put up an awkward climbing rock wall that expands horizontally versus vertically. Not many people use it. All the residence halls could use some TLC and possibly a ?face-lift?. The townhomes are new and are quite nice but DP (Dickson Palmer) is stuck in the 60?s and deteriorating. They could also use a bit of work considering how much they cost. Applying to this school will not hurt. I suppose it just depends if you as an individual will find your niche at the school and if it's a school that fits your needs.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
Mars Hill is aPolitical Science
Mars Hill is a great college. The professors are great and challenge you. Yes there are some students that complain but often then are the lazy, unintelligent students that think everything should be handed to them without any work. Mars Hill is what you make of it. For me it was a great experience!
Compare MHUSave MHU