StudentsReview :: North Carolina A & T State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Duke University -- Durham, NC

North Carolina A & T State University

When I started thinking about what I was going to do with mQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
When I started thinking about what I was going to do with my life post graduation I knew there was nothing in my hometown for me to do that would be productive enough for the Kingdom of God. So with the help of some advisors I began to search for the right institution that I would attend. Since my sophomore year in high school I had been going to North Carolina State Engineering Open House and had fell in love with all they had to offer. Fortunately I was not fully accepted into the university. But I was accepted at "A&T." When I receieved that letter of acceptance it was the happiest day of my life, I was off to college. I was very excited to have something to do after gradution was complete. I never knew then the impact that NC A&T SU would have on my life. But I am forever grateful that I wasn't acccepted at NCSU. Being here at "T" allowed me to be me! Because we are a Historically Black University things have been geared toward my culture. Not to say that because we are an HBU, that we are bias to other races not in the least. But anyway, I came to "T" to find out what life was all about and I have began to see! Although I was active I was a little sheltered and some things were new to me. Being that I am a christian who is dedicated to Christ, i felt like I would miss out on "College" because of my committment to christ. But I haven't!!! Being in this environment where the administration has complete confidence and belief in student leaders allows for the growth of every student. They make you take control of your responsibilities and become a productive citizen of the Aggie community and world. While there are many examples of what makes AGGIE LAND! The greatest Institution in my eyes, you would simply have to come experience it for yourself. Currently our student population is 11,103. Aggie Athletics include Football, basketball, volleyball, track, baseball, softball, tennis, swimming, bowling and cheerleading. We have nationally recognized programs in theatre, art, music and dance including the famous "Drum Line" (that the motion picture "Drum Line starring Nick Cannon" was based on) The Blue & Gold Marching Machine, Richard B. Harrison Players, E. Gwynn Dancers, University Jazz Ensemble, University Choir and the Award-Winning Fellowship Gospel Choir ( I'm a member of!).

To make students aware of things happening in the world and to be sure that we are well informed and are able to compete with other students globally our campus is visited by Well-Known individuals who have made impact on the world as we know it. Just recently Michael Eric Dyson, Earl Graves, Thomas Friedman, Dr. Cornell West, Tom Joyner and Tavis Smiley have come to speak to our students. Also we house 190 registered Student organizations

Our Student life is filled with programs and services that help us to develop wholistically. Like I said earlier about being developed as leaders the university provides counseling, leadership development, student housing and student activities, student government and community service to help us find a sense of belonging, responsibility and achievement.

For a historical aspect:
What is now NC A&T SU was started in 1891, We are on of America's leading HBCUs. Recently ranked 3rd for African Americans. WE are the top producer of African American Engineers and technologists. Have a Nationally accredited AACSB School of Business & Economics (MY MAJOR!).

We have a legacy of Civil Rights. Four black freshmen, the A&T Four, sat down and requested service at the segregated Woolworth's lunch counter on February 1, 1960. Jibreel Khazan, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil and the late David Richmond's courageous act of civil disobedience is credited with beginning the movement which played a prominent role in the sit-ins of the 1960s.

I hope I have provided you with a sense of my AGGIE PRIDE! because truly this institution means so much to me and I owe so much to world because of the treasure given to me in NC A&T! I forgot to mention some of the obvious things that you may already know about such as the GREATEST HOMECOMING ON EARTH! It truly is, each year we have to compete with ourselves in putting together an explosive homecoming than the year b4. Greek Life, Student Involvement, Intramural Sports and SOOooooo much more!

With AGGIE PRIDE!
Ferreli L. McGilvary

2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Friendliness: A-
AverageChemical Engineering
I gave a&t pretty decent scores but I am try8ing to transfer. It is not a big challenge as I feel I need.
1st Year Male -- Class 2009
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Innovation: C
NCATSU is an outstanding school for a personJournalism
NCATSU is an outstanding school for a person who loves the ghetto, hates diversity, and enjoys baby work.

Dorm Rooms = Vanstory(Coed) also the third floor is flooded>, Morrow(Men), Barbee Hall(Women), Haley Hall(Coed) are run-down dorms. Barbell Hall is the worst dorm for any student. My roommate and I can shake hands while laying down in our beds. Our sink leaks whenever we or our next door neighbor turns on the water. Our lights are broken and although we complain, it has NEVER been fixed in the past 5 months.

Housing Process = Horrible. Students were given housing rates of LAST YEAR.
Teachers = I've had some teachers who don't speak English very well.
* The Math, Science and Nursing departments are on probation. So taking any classes in this area means they have to bump you up a letter grade. example(F = D, B = A)

Not only in my opinion, but in many of my friends and associates say that A&T has proven Black stereotypes to be true. I plan to transfer and never return to A&T.

Compare NCAT/NCA&TSUSave NCAT/NCA&TSU