StudentsReview :: North Carolina Central University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

North Carolina Central University

Well, where do I begin? First of, ifQuite BrightCriminal
Well, where do I begin? First of, if you can, please choose a different university. I have not seen the laziest and most unhelpful school as this one. No one seems to care at the administration. When you call or come and ask questions you are greeted with an attitude of very unfriendly staff.

Ones you pass that part and still decide to sign up for classes, research your teachers carefully. Some do actually care, but I promise you, that number is very low! Way too many "professors" do not care about students progress, your work wont be graded, your emails are left unanswered and the office hours are not being honored.

If God forbid you have a blackboard issue, it better not be on a Saturday! While all other colleges have 24 hours - 7 days a week IT for blackboard issues, technical support at Central needs apparently Saturdays off. Who cares if you have an exam, or even homework, cause your education is not what's important for this school! All that matters is that they have your money, the rest is.. Well.. Not their problem.. If you want a respectable and actually true education, choose a GOOD university to get it from. I wish only that I listened to the warnings I got from people. So do yourself a favor and listen to mine.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: B-, Education Quality: F
I recommend that high school students and collegeFinance
I recommend that high school students and college students should stay focused and try to gain knowledge and skills as much as possible; develop a good working relationship with the teachers; network as much as possible, and to be involved in activities in and out of school. Personally, I should have developed a broader network.
I have to say that NCCU is oneQuite BrightMath
I have to say that NCCU is one of the worst institutions I've ever attended. I was a transfer student who has also been to a community college and would say with all honesty, community college outperformed NCCU in every aspect possible, yet the cost of attending is 90% greater.

First off, the staff and faculty are incompetent, they can't get basic things right like insuring a student has all of their files transferred to the right department. Upon attending I found nearly all of my files had been misplaced which cost me time and money to help them straighten out the issue.

Despite having a hard time getting everything cleared I decided to stay to give it a try, and I have to tell you it was one of the worst mistakes in my life! When I met with my academic advisor she was completely unprofessional, the entire session I don't think one intelligent word came out of her mouth, she insistently played music in the background of our entire conversation, which to me was rude and disrespectful.

When I finally started attending classes I found out quickly that I might of been the only one in the entire class room who was actually there to learn something as much of the students appear to not care about their education at all, I'm sure the biggest reasons is because NCCU promulgates their sports and band as their strongest precedence with academic performance coming in dead last.

Not only that but the students constantly use profane language to describe everyday situations, many of the students were disrespectful and lacked basic morals. Not to mention I was nearly run over in the parking lot by a student because they do not yield to pedestrians.

Naturally I was expecting to have a better experience with the teachers, but was gravely disappointed to find that they too were disrespectful and lacked competency. I had to even drop one of my classes because the teacher was so ignorant and disrespectful, her behavior was so outrageous and unprofessional. This decision greatly impacted my academic standing and financial ability in classes that I was already out performing the material.

To make matters worst, the teachers are constantly giving take home assignments, even exams, in which students are given weeks to complete, that in no way challenges a students knowledge of the material. The classes are profoundly easy to pass because the teachers have no expectations of the students, nor do the majority of the students care.

Parking on campus is also another negative aspect, it cost at least $150 to park per semester and you are not even guaranteed a good spot to park, that's a huge issue because the surrounding neighborhood is riddled with violence and crime which even the university openly publishes in emails sent out to the students about the most recent "active shooter" in the neighborhood.

Overall I would never recommend NCCU to anyone unless you are going because you like sports, sports seems to be the entire reason this institution exists.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015