StudentsReview :: North Carolina State University Raleigh - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

North Carolina State University Raleigh

This review is specifically for anyone considering the

Mar 31 2014Other
This review is specifically for anyone considering the College of Textiles at NCSU. If I had to do my undergrad all over and I still wanted to be in fashion, I would've transferred to a real fashion school in LA or NY & networked like crazy. Because Textiles is not the school to pick if you want to be a fashion designer or make it in that industry. Only apply for that school if you want to go into textile engineering or polymer color chemistry. Anything else is a waste of your time & money! I wish someone had told me this as a senior in high school, but I did not have the maturity, nor the wisdom I have now. After 3 years of trying to find a good entry level job/internship, I am going back to school in a completely different field that is much more promising than what textiles tried to sell me. They claim they will help you find your first real job after graduation, but that's a lie. Please do your research and talk to as many students and alumns that you can before coming here. It will save you much heartache! Overall State is a good school for engineers and veterinarians, but I'll pass on Textiles any day!
Starting Job: Visual Merchandiser Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I really enjoyed NCSU and am glad I

Jan 22 2014Communications
I really enjoyed NCSU and am glad I went there. I still live near by and know a lot of current students there, and see that the school continues to improve with time. The students are mostly friendly (any time you get 30,000+ people together, there are going to be some annoying/rude ones). The teachers were almost all of excellent quality. Many of my adjunct instructors also taught at Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill so I knew I was getting the same course my peers in those institutions were getting. If I had it to do over again, the only changes I would make would be with myself -- I would be less shy and get out there more and experience more of the great things NCSU has to offer.
4th Year Female -- Class 2000
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B+

I grew up in a neighboring state and

Aug 31 2014Business - Management and Administration
I grew up in a neighboring state and was excited to attend NCSU due to my college visits and research; however, after being there for 2 years, I chose to transfer down to UNCW, admittedly due to its location and nicer campus even though it had no real athletic experience like State. Even so, I actually felt more challenged and personally valued, in addition to enjoying the diversity and beauty of the campus, both of which were sorely missing at NCSU. While I loved living in Raleigh and attending the football games, the students basically are either very technical and scientific nerd-types, rural small-town ten cent millionaires, or frat/sorority private school kids. As such, that affects the quality of your courses unless you happen to luck up and there are more nerds than the latter two, which is rarely the case in the first two years. It was slightly better with the business courses I took, but I preferred them at UNCW by far. Truly, I was surprised at the difference in the two schools as I myself had presumed State would be more rigorous and I found the opposite, at least in the business classes. I am now in my MBA program at UNC (Not e to out-of-staters:State considers UNC its main rival while UNC considers Duke so) and found my UNCW courses and professors were far more similar, had more of a global worldview, and prepared me for life beyond North Carolina, which State seems much more centered on doing. I'm not sure if that is a negative or not -- after all, it is NC State -- but the huge impersonal campus and the demographic of a fairly close-minded student body made it an unappealing choice for me, and I was eager to transfer. I did love the partying and campus fun at State, but when I was ready to literally get down to business, it was definitely lacking.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012