StudentsReview :: The Queens University of Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York Bernard M. Baruch College -- New York, NY

The Queens University of Charlotte

Please be wise about you decison.BrightPsychology
Please be wise about you decison. Queens will only cater to you if you are an out of state boy because it's mostly girls and they want to seem more well-rounded. If u do live in Charlotte, and wish to save money since the dorms are so awful, they will make it really hard on you and give you large breaks inbetween classes. Also, they choose your schedule for you and will not sit down to ask you what you want to take. They just give the best classes and times to students they really want to make happy and give the left overs to everyone else. Feeling special because you got a scholarship? Was it for $9,000 a year? Yeah basically everyone gets that. It makes you feel special and like a deal you can't pass up and then later you will find out many other people who did far far less in high school got the same thing. The staff is overall not nice. Very hard to get a hold of. They have very little students but will take days to return phone calls and if you try to set up meetings with them they will ignore your request. I was fooled my Queens and my biggest hope is that someone will read this and change their mind. Once they think they have you with the nice workout rooms and this and that, they will do whatever they can to trap you to make it hard for you to leave. What's the worse way they do that? They make you take a "CORE" class every year for about 3 times a week. This counts for I believe 3 or 4 credits. But if you decide to transfer because people are mean and rumors can spread like forest fires, you lose all that money, all the time, and all those credits. So it makes you want to stay because trasnfering could hold you back. Of course they dont mention this stuff untill you sign up. You will be so much better saving your (or if your lucky enough your parents) money and getting a better more enjoyable education. If you are from out of state yes Queens is in a great location because south Charlotte is amazing. But not worth your money. Please read and consider.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
Attending this school was sone of the worstSuper BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
Attending this school was sone of the worst experiences I have been through. The campus appears to be nice, and well maintained, but that only on the surface. Once you arrive at campus in the fall, you will understand that is only propaganda for visitors. The PR department tells prospective students there are far more clubs then there really are. I was told Queens had a very competitive Mock Trial Team, which was a big deal for me, as I was President of my high school team, however when I arrived, I was told no such team existed. PR department also tells students it is easy to start new clubs, however nothing can be further from the truth. At a school of this size the amount of red tape that has to be cleared to get anything done. In regards to classes, Queens professes the benefits of their "unique" CORE program. From my prospective, it was much like my humanities classes I had in high school. This program requires you to spend three credit hours first semester freshmen year and three second semester. In the sophomore year you have to take another three credits, and senior year another three credit hours. This comes to a grand total of thirteen hours you could spend doing other things. I think this is just a punitive strategy for students who wish to transfer out, as most of those credits will not be accepted by another university. With regards to transfer students, many students transfer and even more students talk about it. It is a marvel to me that people even go here. With regards to the faculty, this is probably the strongest asset that Queens has. However, a few of them are a bit difficult to work with if you get sick. I am in this boat now. I currently have the flu, and yet I am being penalized heavily for not going to my CORE class. Other professors seem to be more understanding. Due to the small size of this campus there is a strict attendance policy. It varies from professor to professor, but generally if you get 2-3 absences from class per semester after that professors can take any amount of points off your grade they see fit. This generally ranges from one point to a full TEN points off your letter grade, with no excuses including severe medical issues. WARNING: If you come here prepare to have a very limited social life. There are lots of things to do in Charlotte but few students at Queens want to do anything, I will try to get people to go out and most will say they either don't want to spend money or they would prefer to sit in their rooms. There are very few parties here, the definition of a big weekend here is watching netflix in ones room. I strongly advise living off campus, living on campus is one of the worst things you can do. The dorms are falling apart, students are constantly being hospitalized for alcohol poisoning and consequently campus police treats the students like criminals. Yet the administration claims that campus is safe. I feel like my high school was much more of a college experience then Queens, granted I went to a boarding school prior to attending Queens. I frequently reminisce of high school because the environment was much more conducive success and happiness. Queens tries to use discussion based classes, however I cannot tell you how many times I have been told by the professor that I have to give others a chance to speak, yet no one wants to speak. It feels like that in some of my classes I am the only person talking to the professor and everyone sits and listens. This is the single most depressing thing about this school, it makes my very sad. It seems that most students are so poorly informed on world affairs or they are completely apathetic. A warning if you are a well informed student, freshmen CORE; which is intended to "broaden your horizons" will just frustrate you to no end.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Scholastic Success: F
Honestly,I love Queens and I am positive thisQuite BrightSociology
Honestly,I love Queens and I am positive this is where I am suppose to be. However, just like any other school, there are pros and cons to this university. I am a minority student here and there are a lot of things that I recognize that I feel some of the "privileged" majority do not see. I'll start with the positives:

PROS- Professor are wonderful. They are approachable and most times professors bend their backs to help the students out. Every professor I've had, has had an open door policy. There were plenty of times, I did not have an appointment and professors still let me walk in their office with questions. To travel abroad or go oversees is included in our tuition which I think is cool because I've always wanted to travel. Campus is BEAUTIFUL and very safe. Also we're in a major city, Charlotte, so there is always something to do. Queens has a lot of connections which is great for networking!

CONS- The professors are great, but some of the other staff is kind of terrible. Whereas most of the professors care for ALL of the students, the staff only cares about certain ones. It is not equal opportunity here. Its all about who you know and not what you know, which I understand is the world, but for a school to preach about fairness and equality, they certainly don't practice it. The minority students or diverse students do not get the same amount of respect towards the majority students. I asked a faculty member if they have heard of a certain minority club and their response was: "I didn't know that was a club. I didn't even know we had that many on campus". So that goes to show the support that minority clubs receive here on campus. The school is EXPENSIVE! Although I love the school, it is definitely not worth the amount we pay as students. Not even close. The school is small and sometimes feels like high school. Sometimes I do wonder if I went to a different school, would I be happy, but overall, I get a great education, a lot of contacts up my sleeve, and there are kind people on this campus. I choose to make my experience positive, which is what you have to do at Queens. :)

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015