StudentsReview :: The Queens University of Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York Bernard M. Baruch College -- New York, NY

The Queens University of Charlotte

Attending this school was sone of the worstSuper BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
Attending this school was sone of the worst experiences I have been through. The campus appears to be nice, and well maintained, but that only on the surface. Once you arrive at campus in the fall, you will understand that is only propaganda for visitors. The PR department tells prospective students there are far more clubs then there really are. I was told Queens had a very competitive Mock Trial Team, which was a big deal for me, as I was President of my high school team, however when I arrived, I was told no such team existed. PR department also tells students it is easy to start new clubs, however nothing can be further from the truth. At a school of this size the amount of red tape that has to be cleared to get anything done. In regards to classes, Queens professes the benefits of their "unique" CORE program. From my prospective, it was much like my humanities classes I had in high school. This program requires you to spend three credit hours first semester freshmen year and three second semester. In the sophomore year you have to take another three credits, and senior year another three credit hours. This comes to a grand total of thirteen hours you could spend doing other things. I think this is just a punitive strategy for students who wish to transfer out, as most of those credits will not be accepted by another university. With regards to transfer students, many students transfer and even more students talk about it. It is a marvel to me that people even go here. With regards to the faculty, this is probably the strongest asset that Queens has. However, a few of them are a bit difficult to work with if you get sick. I am in this boat now. I currently have the flu, and yet I am being penalized heavily for not going to my CORE class. Other professors seem to be more understanding. Due to the small size of this campus there is a strict attendance policy. It varies from professor to professor, but generally if you get 2-3 absences from class per semester after that professors can take any amount of points off your grade they see fit. This generally ranges from one point to a full TEN points off your letter grade, with no excuses including severe medical issues. WARNING: If you come here prepare to have a very limited social life. There are lots of things to do in Charlotte but few students at Queens want to do anything, I will try to get people to go out and most will say they either don't want to spend money or they would prefer to sit in their rooms. There are very few parties here, the definition of a big weekend here is watching netflix in ones room. I strongly advise living off campus, living on campus is one of the worst things you can do. The dorms are falling apart, students are constantly being hospitalized for alcohol poisoning and consequently campus police treats the students like criminals. Yet the administration claims that campus is safe. I feel like my high school was much more of a college experience then Queens, granted I went to a boarding school prior to attending Queens. I frequently reminisce of high school because the environment was much more conducive success and happiness. Queens tries to use discussion based classes, however I cannot tell you how many times I have been told by the professor that I have to give others a chance to speak, yet no one wants to speak. It feels like that in some of my classes I am the only person talking to the professor and everyone sits and listens. This is the single most depressing thing about this school, it makes my very sad. It seems that most students are so poorly informed on world affairs or they are completely apathetic. A warning if you are a well informed student, freshmen CORE; which is intended to "broaden your horizons" will just frustrate you to no end.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Scholastic Success: F
If you play a sport, or are activelyBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
If you play a sport, or are actively involved in school clubs/spirit to the extreme, you will be likely to find a social group. I've been at this school for almost 4 months, and find myself fitting in less and less. Majority of the people, even the ones who pride themselves on being open minded and enthusiastic on meeting new people and experiences, are not genuine. Most people won't even look at you when you're walking through campus, unless maybe you have a class with them. Socially, this school is absolutely awful. I have never been an anti-social type of person, but I've become very quiet and reserved, and it's NOT by choice. Queens students, loosen up a bit!!As for academies, there's nothing special. They do have a good nursing program, which I hear is extremely hard, but quite rewarding. And business isn't too shabby either. However, all other majors aren't anything special. Their CORE classes that they claim is "inventive" and "sets them apart" is a big old pile of bullshit (excuse the language..) There is nothing new, or exciting about it. It's way too much work, all of which is busy-work, and I guarantee you will not gain anything from this class. Why do we go to college? To help further our education, which will help us get better jobs. This class does absolutely nothing to help your future..NOTHING.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Individual Value: F
I want to transfer.BrightNursing
I want to transfer.
The school PR machine paints a picture of this place that is total unreality. I am in a new dorm. Yes it is clean, but it is cheap and a lot is broken, and they don't care.

The neighborhood is pretty, but they hate us. The last straw that caused me to write this was one of the neighbors who doesn't know me pausing on the sidewalk to call me a "slut" and talk about my clothes.

The neighbors vandalize our cars and go out of their way if we are doing a door to door canned food drive for charity to tell us they hate Queens. It got really bad in the last year when we started building the sports center -- which is the subject of huge PR to prospective new students. The neighbors say that Queens misled them or screwed them somehow by building this big building and blocking out the sun to their houses and creating a lot of traffic.

The school will probably charge everybody extra to use the new fitness center after its built. They don't give anything away.

Superficial is the word for Queens University. We want to look good and sound good, and we don't care once we have got you. Everything on the outside looks beautiful, with art and creativity. Appearance is all there is. I think the transfer rate is high, a lot higher than they say. I will be one of them.

There are some good things. Social life is not tempting. There is none. There is no place to go hang out, and most of the students are not going to do anything that might get them in trouble or get them a reputation. The guys are either gay (and there a lot of them!) or they are stunted in their maturity. They will put their hands on you in a "social" setting, but don't expect any sort of interesting conversation or openness.

The academics are not hard. Most of the professors are nice, but they are not interested or interesting. They will tell you that Queens pays really bad for faculty. Its pretty easy though to make a good grade. I was not especially smart at my high school, but I am here.Maybe other people will like this school, but I made a mistake.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015