StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina - Charlotte

Don't come in freshman year undeclared regardless ofQuite BrightPsychology
Don't come in freshman year undeclared regardless of what you're advised to do. Freshman who come in with a declared major are automatically part of the program. I entered Undecided and there's a ridiculous amount of pre-requisites I must complete before I can even apply to be accepted into the department. Not only that - they spontaneously dropped the BA in Psychology. I was done with the degree but due to department requirements to declare & the extreme difficulty getting into courses you need to take (they're always full - UNCC doesn't make enough courses to be able to just enroll in gen eds let alone other classes. There's also an extreme lack of variety what's offered. The small variety of courses stay the same every semester) Anyway, without warning they only offer the BS in Psychology & made the course requirements more difficult. Especially for students not planning to go into the research field after graduating.

If you have a disability I would strongly recommend you choose another university. UNCC is unhelpful & extremely unaccomodating compared to other colleges. They do not allow course substitutions so plan on at least 3 years math. Out of state tuition has increased incredibly since I started school here.

The University Area of Charlotte & the campus are very unsafe. Anyone who claims otherwise is ignoring the police messages we receive & the news. Specifically, last year CMPD vowed to try to create a program to help make the area safer. It didn't work out & the area has one of the highest crime rates in the city. Financial aid is a mess. UNCC provides next to nothing for university grants & scholarships.

The campus is very attractive, but not a lively one. Most buildings are either very nice or a dump. The library is big & mostly open 24/7 which is helpful. Parking on campus during the day can take hours to find a spot. Very few if any profs are compassionate or understanding. I've found a lot of arrogance & a "you struggling in my course is not my problem" attitude. Not a whole lot of school spirit here. Hard to get involved & would be nice if more exciting events took place set up by the school. Almost every major requires you earn a minor as well to graduate. Transient study permits are rarely approved as are transfer very many credits. It's seems their goal is to keep student enrolled her for as long as possible for financial profit. This years statistics showed that only 32% of undergraduates earn their degree in SIX YEARS here. Meaning most all students will be here way more than 6 years to get a bachelors degree. That's a very accurate reflection of all I started above.

4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
I'm a spanish major who enlisted in theNot so brightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
I'm a spanish major who enlisted in the army to transition into becoming an officer in the ROTC program in this campus. I was very motivated once I transferred to UNCC from CPCC because I enjoyed my last year there and I had just finished basic training and wanted to grow as a person in 2010 coming to UNCC in the fall of 2011.

After being in this school for one semester I had never hated education so much in my life thanks to this school, parking was complete hell from the first day to the last if you're trying to get to COED or near there any time of the day. If you have a life and a job be prepared to always be late to class and be late to work or anything you have to do after because the parking/traffic is horrible. The spanish department is full of condescending teachers and staff members, there are only a few good teachers in the spanish department. I'm a native spanish speaker who came to the US when I was very young so I wanted to get my spanish grammar, reading and comprehension to a better level. That was not the case here, the teachers expect you to do their job and teach yourself because they are very bad at teaching most of the time, they are very smart but refuse to make things easy for students who don't get things immediately. When I complained about a specific teacher to the head of the department, she cursed me out and told me to stop bitching back in the fall of 2013. The ROTC program is very competitive and the clown that are contracted make you feel like you're an outsider if you don't fit in their smart ass circle, so I got kicked out because I wasn't recommend by the MS4s there, just because I didn't hang with them. So the teacher told me to not come back next semester.To finish here I'm just the type of student who wants to learn but I need to be taught by my teachers, if you want that don't come to this school, this school is for the people who want to get a $20,000 loan a semester and not work so they can spend 10 hours studying because the teachers don't teach anything and want to get ahead because they want straight As.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
I'm an in-state student from Wilmington.BrightOther
I'm an in-state student from Wilmington. There is no reason for any in-state student to attend UNCC unless you have to have new buildings and a pretty campus or if you're a computer science major or an engineering major. I lived on campus, and I can say that campus life at UNCC sux. There is very little to do. It's a suitcase commuter college. Worse, the campus is in a high crime area. You really need an automobile in order to go anywhere because there's not much to do near campus.

Girls get raped in the UNCC dormitories. Off-campus choices aren't much better. You might find yourself sharing an apartment with somebody you really don't want to be around.

The students? Not inspiring. UNCC is a second choice for a lot of students, and I think it's probably a third or fourth choice for most of the teachers.

I'm going to UNC Wilmington in the Fall of 2014 and I'll live on campus where there's actual campus life and NO CRIME. The beach is nearby, and there's lots more to do there.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018