StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

This was a waste of time for me

Dec 01 2013English
This was a waste of time for me. I wish I had taken a scholarship ANYWHERE else. If you're from out-of-state (as I am) bring an automobile and and extra $600.00 bucks per year for parking on-campus, and get a low deductible for vandalism. Car break-ins on campus are frequent, and commuters don't know how to park. The campus is pretty, but the surrounding area is uber-dangerous. Off-campus robberies are frequent. Idiots with guns were spotted a few times since I've been here, but there have been no shootings, thank god. I learned very quickly to kiss professors' butts just so I could get recommendations to graduate/postgraduate schools. Turn down profs who OFFER to write recs from professors whom you trust, but get five written, sealed recommendations and submit those, but discard the recs from profs who aren't top-notch.

Off-campus housing in the area is awful. There's shared housing-by-the-room, and you may get stuck with a gangsta drug dealer.Better yet, go to another school.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

People complain about the school spirit which I

Sep 16 2013Unknown
People complain about the school spirit which I agree isn't like most but since the football team has came I have felt a big spike in school spirit. All that needs to happen is for students to stop commuting, greek life to open their doors party wise. As well as some more student leadership on campus. The bigger stadium and new dining hall/student center should help too.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B

After going here for a year and a

Nov 21 2013Language - French/Spanish/etc.
After going here for a year and a half, I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've met some of the most interesting people, and made friends I know I will keep for life. Before I came here, the big myth I heard was that it was a commuter school. In my entire freshman year, I only knew one person who went home every weekend, and now that I am a sophomore, I don't know anyone who goes home every weekend. We have a lovely campus with modern buildings, our student union is only a few years old, have nice athletic facilities, and really, really nice on-campus housing. Most dorms now were built after 2004 and the only old dorms left on campus that aren't planned to be replaced are the highrises, but as a freshmen, you can avoid living in those by being in a Learning Community, which I highly recommend. All of my professors seem to be really caring, approachable, and friendly, and I love my academic advisor. There are plenty of clubs to join, I think there are over 300 on campus. I like being near Charlotte, too. We have a great basketball team, and our Men's soccer team are C-USA champions for this year. With the new football team, I have noticed a sense of new school spirit. My only complaint is that the location of the school isn't really Charlotte, it's on the outskirts of Charlotte in University City, near areas with a high crime rate. Crime is sometimes a problem, but not usually. All in all, I love UNCC. It's my home.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016