StudentsReview ™ :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

I'll just say this

Sep 11 2013PreLaw and Legal
I'll just say this.
This school is a commuter school for one, and two, while the education quality may be good (at least it is in my field), it's just so boring here at this school.I'm doing fine in my courses, and I don't mind the work or anything, I'm just really bored here. If you don't mind the fact that the school has a broken spirit, and that everyone commutes, then go ahead and come here. I'll stay here because it's probably the best thing to do. It's a bit late for me to transfer anyway.

I am not enjoying my time here at all

Sep 01 2013Chemistry
I am not enjoying my time here at all. The school is full of shallow students, and the teachers (Graduates of Brown, Harvard etc.) must really think they are cool or something. This place is a COMMUTER school. There is no doubt about that. The area around the University is very shady. I would not recommend going on a walk outside of campus. I'm not the best student, but I've passed all of my courses. I'm constantly being told by PROFESSORS here that I can't keep up. Very annoying. There's a ton of international students here as well, and usually I don't have problems with them, but at times they can be very annoying. Charlotte is a nice city, but is home to a school that I will be leaving within the next semester.

Look, if you're thinking of going to UNCC,

Aug 07 2013Computer Science
Look, if you're thinking of going to UNCC, take a look around at other schools in a similar area or price range or chance of acceptance.

UNCC has a halfway decent study abroad program... and that's the only recommendation I can make for it.

The campus is isolated, expensive, and unfriendly. Instead of hiring students to run the place, as at most schools, a bunch of jaded minimum-wage employees provide insane levels of bureaucracy. It's a commuter school, so expect a ghost town on the weekends and no recognizable community or school spirit. Parking passes are $415 per semester and spots are hard to come by - plan to miss classes because of this. Academic quality is lower than you'd get at a high-quality community college like CPCC. Nothing off campus is walkable, as you're marooned between two highways. You'll drive to hang out, drive to drink, drive to shop. In a STEM program, expect to need a translator to understand your professors. Oh yeah - check police reports for the campus area and be terrified. Robberies are rampant and murders aren't uncommon. That's right, at UNCC students find bodies around campus.

UNCC is probably your safety, your backup, right? It's the same for most of the other students there. Imagine what kind of a culture that breeds.

App, UNCG, Wilmington... these would all be much, much better choices.
I would love to recover my time at UNCC and spend it somewhere else.

5th Year Male -- Class 2013