StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

I would like to offer advice to anyone

Dec 24 2013Education
I would like to offer advice to anyone considering UNCC.
1) It's very commmuter oriented school, if you're looking for the traditional type school, this isn't it!

2) UNCC just recently added a football team, but from these reviews, I see it's still pretty much a commuter school.

3) Vast majority come from the Charlotte metro area. So, you're not going to see a lot of diversity from that.

4) Social activities are almost non-exsistant.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

If there was one thing in my life

Dec 21 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
If there was one thing in my life I could change it would be NOT going to UNC-Commuter, otherwise known as UNCC. I would say this is a 2nd/3rd tier school, and that's not a putdown, everyone doesn't go to Duke etc..

Too many professors that are unprofessional, sitting on their laurels, using class for their soapbox, administration condescending and having "fun" irritating the students to get their rocks off, that's when you know they can't be fired or will not be fired. I really saw no social activities on campus, nothing to enlighten you or expand your mind, etc.. Basically it's a commuter school, students don't ever really go beyond that and don't want to. So, If you're looking for a more traditional school, this is not it. With the football team, maybe things will greatly change.

4th Year Female -- Class 1997
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and

Dec 23 2013Education
UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and I think every state needs a university with that policy. I don't have a problem with that. Let's face it, some people play and have the grades to show it and/or they goofed off in high school etc, but now they are ready to settle down and make something of their life. Granted everyone can't get in an Ivy League school, I certainly could not.

However, as I said, they have opened the doors to any and everyone, however, I don't think classroom standards should be lowered to accommodate the any and everyone admissions policy. I know UNCC is trying to grow BIG, and that's why they are admitting anyone, so they can get all the campus funding etc.. that they were greatly denied in years/decades past.

I know they have had consultants come in and they have even stated they need to raise the undergrad academics and of course, that fell on deaf ears.

Quite frankly, I didn't see where any of the courses I took really helped me in my profession. Everything was an overview or survey course mentality. Just kinda look at things and not really go too deep into it, no get up and demonstrate what you've "learned." Both with education (statewide 1/3 of students drop out of teaching after student teaching and another 1/3 drop out after less than 3 years of teaching). That's not just UNCC, but they are part of the number. Nursing, I think specifically at UNCC had similar problems in years past with too many students not passing the nursing exams, which raises the concern "why are students that are graduating, not prepared for these exams?" I know they have gotten that raised back up to passing scores. But, I can't say that my undergrad and grad classes at UNCC really prepared me for my major or the classroom. Graduate school was basically a waste of time and money.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F