StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

If there was one thing in my life

Dec 21 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
If there was one thing in my life I could change it would be NOT going to UNC-Commuter, otherwise known as UNCC. I would say this is a 2nd/3rd tier school, and that's not a putdown, everyone doesn't go to Duke etc..

Too many professors that are unprofessional, sitting on their laurels, using class for their soapbox, administration condescending and having "fun" irritating the students to get their rocks off, that's when you know they can't be fired or will not be fired. I really saw no social activities on campus, nothing to enlighten you or expand your mind, etc.. Basically it's a commuter school, students don't ever really go beyond that and don't want to. So, If you're looking for a more traditional school, this is not it. With the football team, maybe things will greatly change.

4th Year Female -- Class 1997
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and

Dec 23 2013Education
UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and I think every state needs a university with that policy. I don't have a problem with that. Let's face it, some people play and have the grades to show it and/or they goofed off in high school etc, but now they are ready to settle down and make something of their life. Granted everyone can't get in an Ivy League school, I certainly could not.

However, as I said, they have opened the doors to any and everyone, however, I don't think classroom standards should be lowered to accommodate the any and everyone admissions policy. I know UNCC is trying to grow BIG, and that's why they are admitting anyone, so they can get all the campus funding etc.. that they were greatly denied in years/decades past.

I know they have had consultants come in and they have even stated they need to raise the undergrad academics and of course, that fell on deaf ears.

Quite frankly, I didn't see where any of the courses I took really helped me in my profession. Everything was an overview or survey course mentality. Just kinda look at things and not really go too deep into it, no get up and demonstrate what you've "learned." Both with education (statewide 1/3 of students drop out of teaching after student teaching and another 1/3 drop out after less than 3 years of teaching). That's not just UNCC, but they are part of the number. Nursing, I think specifically at UNCC had similar problems in years past with too many students not passing the nursing exams, which raises the concern "why are students that are graduating, not prepared for these exams?" I know they have gotten that raised back up to passing scores. But, I can't say that my undergrad and grad classes at UNCC really prepared me for my major or the classroom. Graduate school was basically a waste of time and money.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F

What's up with all the terrible ratings on

Dec 05 2013Computer Science
What's up with all the terrible ratings on here? I honestly think there's a lot of students expecting UNCC to be a breeze (since the entrance requirements aren't very high), then when they do bad, they go on here at lash out. When I was applying for colleges, I almost didn't come here due to all the negative reviews on this website. To all the naysayers--- UNCC has been a great experience for me during my first two semesters. If you don't like it, do everyone a favor and transfer to another school, instead of going online and whining about it.

Firstly, the math department is hit or miss. With most professors, you can pull out an easy A, but I felt like I had better math professors at CPCC. There are quite a few profs (as well as physics professors) that don't speak English as a first language. That's not to say all the professors are terrible, I just find them to be either too easy or too hard.

The computer science department is incredible. Every person I've known that has gone here for computer science has gotten a good job before they graduate. So, for prospective programmers, this is the school for you, if for some reason you cannot attend UNC or NC State. Even if you can, you should maybe consider coming here to save some money. Don't get me wrong-- there's plenty of bad professors, but for every class there's usually a good professor and a bad professor. Just ask around to see who you should take when registration time comes.

The philosophy department is great. Very insightful lectures, engaging content.
To all the people complaining about the English department... I haven't taken an English class here, but my brother majored in English at UNCC, and he said there were good professors and bad professors. You'll find that at every school. QQ more. That's the thing that irks me about all these reviews. Maybe if you guys didn't want such terrible professors, you should've gone on ratemyprofessor.com. Every university has bad professors. Quit whining.

As far as social life goes, I've found it to be great. It's a little alienating at first, but people here are very open. If you want to make friends, be social, but don't be overly social, and you'll meet plenty of people. I've found in my group we get weirded out if someone comes up to us and makes it obvious they're desperate for friends.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015