StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina - Charlotte

What's up with all the terrible ratings onBrightComputer Science
What's up with all the terrible ratings on here? I honestly think there's a lot of students expecting UNCC to be a breeze (since the entrance requirements aren't very high), then when they do bad, they go on here at lash out. When I was applying for colleges, I almost didn't come here due to all the negative reviews on this website. To all the naysayers--- UNCC has been a great experience for me during my first two semesters. If you don't like it, do everyone a favor and transfer to another school, instead of going online and whining about it.

Firstly, the math department is hit or miss. With most professors, you can pull out an easy A, but I felt like I had better math professors at CPCC. There are quite a few profs (as well as physics professors) that don't speak English as a first language. That's not to say all the professors are terrible, I just find them to be either too easy or too hard.

The computer science department is incredible. Every person I've known that has gone here for computer science has gotten a good job before they graduate. So, for prospective programmers, this is the school for you, if for some reason you cannot attend UNC or NC State. Even if you can, you should maybe consider coming here to save some money. Don't get me wrong-- there's plenty of bad professors, but for every class there's usually a good professor and a bad professor. Just ask around to see who you should take when registration time comes.

The philosophy department is great. Very insightful lectures, engaging content.
To all the people complaining about the English department... I haven't taken an English class here, but my brother majored in English at UNCC, and he said there were good professors and bad professors. You'll find that at every school. QQ more. That's the thing that irks me about all these reviews. Maybe if you guys didn't want such terrible professors, you should've gone on Every university has bad professors. Quit whining.

As far as social life goes, I've found it to be great. It's a little alienating at first, but people here are very open. If you want to make friends, be social, but don't be overly social, and you'll meet plenty of people. I've found in my group we get weirded out if someone comes up to us and makes it obvious they're desperate for friends.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: A
This was a waste of time for me.Quite BrightEnglish
This was a waste of time for me. I wish I had taken a scholarship ANYWHERE else. If you're from out-of-state (as I am) bring an automobile and and extra $600.00 bucks per year for parking on-campus, and get a low deductible for vandalism. Car break-ins on campus are frequent, and commuters don't know how to park. The campus is pretty, but the surrounding area is uber-dangerous. Off-campus robberies are frequent. Idiots with guns were spotted a few times since I've been here, but there have been no shootings, thank god. I learned very quickly to kiss professors' butts just so I could get recommendations to graduate/postgraduate schools. Turn down profs who OFFER to write recs from professors whom you trust, but get five written, sealed recommendations and submit those, but discard the recs from profs who aren't top-notch.

Off-campus housing in the area is awful. There's shared housing-by-the-room, and you may get stuck with a gangsta drug dealer.Better yet, go to another school.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
After going here for a year and aQuite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
After going here for a year and a half, I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've met some of the most interesting people, and made friends I know I will keep for life. Before I came here, the big myth I heard was that it was a commuter school. In my entire freshman year, I only knew one person who went home every weekend, and now that I am a sophomore, I don't know anyone who goes home every weekend. We have a lovely campus with modern buildings, our student union is only a few years old, have nice athletic facilities, and really, really nice on-campus housing. Most dorms now were built after 2004 and the only old dorms left on campus that aren't planned to be replaced are the highrises, but as a freshmen, you can avoid living in those by being in a Learning Community, which I highly recommend. All of my professors seem to be really caring, approachable, and friendly, and I love my academic advisor. There are plenty of clubs to join, I think there are over 300 on campus. I like being near Charlotte, too. We have a great basketball team, and our Men's soccer team are C-USA champions for this year. With the new football team, I have noticed a sense of new school spirit. My only complaint is that the location of the school isn't really Charlotte, it's on the outskirts of Charlotte in University City, near areas with a high crime rate. Crime is sometimes a problem, but not usually. All in all, I love UNCC. It's my home.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016