StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

Good education

Feb 20 2013Astronomy
Good education. Bad atmosphere. If you value a real college experience you should go somewhere else. If all you want is the degree, it is a fine school to go to.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
University Resource Use: B, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I would like to offer advice to anyone

Dec 24 2013Education
I would like to offer advice to anyone considering UNCC.
1) It's very commmuter oriented school, if you're looking for the traditional type school, this isn't it!

2) UNCC just recently added a football team, but from these reviews, I see it's still pretty much a commuter school.

3) Vast majority come from the Charlotte metro area. So, you're not going to see a lot of diversity from that.

4) Social activities are almost non-exsistant.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

The quality of your experience at UNC Charlotte

May 29 2012Computer Science
The quality of your experience at UNC Charlotte is highly variable depending on the department. The modus operandi here seems to be that it's easy to gain admission and hard to graduate (U.S. News has the graduation rate around 27%), which I actually think is great, but perhaps this breaks the morale of some of the more motivated students by lowering the perception of incoming students (by professors and students alike). There isn't much "school pride" to be witnessed, as you will often see students walking around in other University-themed apparel. I am local to the area, and almost everyone will agreee that this is a commuter school (I never lived on campus so someone else might be able to give praise to the social setting). While there are some generally whiny, entitled students who complain every chance they get, I think rigor here is sometimes conflated with the "wash-out" process that other students allude to (for example, I don't think having 100 out of 200 students drop or fail a class should be viewed as acceptable or normal). My first two semesters of calculus were taught by probably one of the best professors at the university, while the more advanced mathematics classes were taught by professors from former the soviet block, who are ,on average, incredibly bright but incomprehensible at times. All of the gen-ed classes I took in the English department were taught by flaky adjunct professors, two of which ended employment before the end of the semester. Undergraduate courses in the Computer Science department are pretty shoddy with the exception of junior and senior level classes that are very time-intensive and rigorous (a good thing). Student organizations in the CS dept. from the time I enrolled, have been weak until this year, but seem to be improving. My first day at the university, I put in an application and inquiry about the student ACM organization and did not hear news until a year and a half later. They did not have funds allocated for the ACM regional programming competition, which was a huge disappointment to me (this was a major reason I wanted to attend a four-year university). I had two internships, which were found through the schools career center, and have served me well (do this regardless of where you attend). Every professor I had in the Humanities was EXCELLENT. Overall I thought that the Math and Science departments did a poor job of taking care of their undergraduates, with the exception of a couple teachers. If you are smart and resourceful, you will achieve regardless of your current situation, so always do what you think is best for you at the time. If you are not paying in-state tuition and do not come from a nearby area, I would advise another school. Take the reviews on here with a grain of salt.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013