StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

Jun 18 2014Economics

Bring plenty of condoms.

I don't know what others are saying, but

Apr 19 2013Biology
I don't know what others are saying, but here's my experience with this school. Yeah the school is pretty much out there to get your money. For example they raise the tuition and parking permits just to build a new deck and a football team(totally uncalled for). The parking permits are purchase to allow students to park any day the university is open, however during special events you are not allowed to park in some areas, resulting lack of space, yet you still pay full price for permit. The good side of this school is that the library is pretty good. Also as you move up to your major courses the professor tends to be very knowledgeable, but that means that the grade are harder to earn, but they will be understanding and will try to help you if you have difficulties.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F

UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and

Dec 23 2013Education
UNCC has a very open-door admissions policy and I think every state needs a university with that policy. I don't have a problem with that. Let's face it, some people play and have the grades to show it and/or they goofed off in high school etc, but now they are ready to settle down and make something of their life. Granted everyone can't get in an Ivy League school, I certainly could not.

However, as I said, they have opened the doors to any and everyone, however, I don't think classroom standards should be lowered to accommodate the any and everyone admissions policy. I know UNCC is trying to grow BIG, and that's why they are admitting anyone, so they can get all the campus funding etc.. that they were greatly denied in years/decades past.

I know they have had consultants come in and they have even stated they need to raise the undergrad academics and of course, that fell on deaf ears.

Quite frankly, I didn't see where any of the courses I took really helped me in my profession. Everything was an overview or survey course mentality. Just kinda look at things and not really go too deep into it, no get up and demonstrate what you've "learned." Both with education (statewide 1/3 of students drop out of teaching after student teaching and another 1/3 drop out after less than 3 years of teaching). That's not just UNCC, but they are part of the number. Nursing, I think specifically at UNCC had similar problems in years past with too many students not passing the nursing exams, which raises the concern "why are students that are graduating, not prepared for these exams?" I know they have gotten that raised back up to passing scores. But, I can't say that my undergrad and grad classes at UNCC really prepared me for my major or the classroom. Graduate school was basically a waste of time and money.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F