StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina - Charlotte

I am a transfer from out of state.BrightCriminal
I am a transfer from out of state. I was excited when I toured but then they told me I have to complete 3 semester of math to be considered an actual major - hindering me from taking the classes I need to graduate on time. Every time I have met with my advisor she always gives me the wrong information and when I come prepared with questions to ask, most of her answers are "I don't know" or "you'll have to check with..." It has been a frustrating experience to say the least.
Scholastic Success: A, Education Quality: D
I am a Junior Transfer Student at UNCCBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am a Junior Transfer Student at UNCC I am also an Adult Student 24 years old. Most of my degree's have come from a Community College where I received an AA Degree, after which I went on to Duke University to earn a Certificate in Management and Leadership. I chose to relocate to UNCC because I live close. This school; while it has a lot of students is still relatively small. I am sick of hearing "Oh this is a commuter school this, Oh this is a commuter school that" have you ever been to other Universities? Most ALL Unis/Colleges have a major chunk of commuters and Adult Students. Why you ask? Education is more important now than it was 20 years ago so you see an influx of non-traditional students; plus its cheaper to commute! If you do decide to attend UNCC don't bitch, and do all your homework! UNCC's MBA program ranks in the Top 50 in the nation. That is something to boast about.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: C+
Don't come in freshman year undeclared regardless ofQuite BrightPsychology
Don't come in freshman year undeclared regardless of what you're advised to do. Freshman who come in with a declared major are automatically part of the program. I entered Undecided and there's a ridiculous amount of pre-requisites I must complete before I can even apply to be accepted into the department. Not only that - they spontaneously dropped the BA in Psychology. I was done with the degree but due to department requirements to declare & the extreme difficulty getting into courses you need to take (they're always full - UNCC doesn't make enough courses to be able to just enroll in gen eds let alone other classes. There's also an extreme lack of variety what's offered. The small variety of courses stay the same every semester) Anyway, without warning they only offer the BS in Psychology & made the course requirements more difficult. Especially for students not planning to go into the research field after graduating.

If you have a disability I would strongly recommend you choose another university. UNCC is unhelpful & extremely unaccomodating compared to other colleges. They do not allow course substitutions so plan on at least 3 years math. Out of state tuition has increased incredibly since I started school here.

The University Area of Charlotte & the campus are very unsafe. Anyone who claims otherwise is ignoring the police messages we receive & the news. Specifically, last year CMPD vowed to try to create a program to help make the area safer. It didn't work out & the area has one of the highest crime rates in the city. Financial aid is a mess. UNCC provides next to nothing for university grants & scholarships.

The campus is very attractive, but not a lively one. Most buildings are either very nice or a dump. The library is big & mostly open 24/7 which is helpful. Parking on campus during the day can take hours to find a spot. Very few if any profs are compassionate or understanding. I've found a lot of arrogance & a "you struggling in my course is not my problem" attitude. Not a whole lot of school spirit here. Hard to get involved & would be nice if more exciting events took place set up by the school. Almost every major requires you earn a minor as well to graduate. Transient study permits are rarely approved as are transfer very many credits. It's seems their goal is to keep student enrolled her for as long as possible for financial profit. This years statistics showed that only 32% of undergraduates earn their degree in SIX YEARS here. Meaning most all students will be here way more than 6 years to get a bachelors degree. That's a very accurate reflection of all I started above.

4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
Compare UNCC-CharlotteSave UNCC-Charlotte

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→