StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Charlotte - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Charlotte

Guys, the people complaining here are the problem

Jan 08 2014Anthropology
Guys, the people complaining here are the problem. Honestly, this school has great diversity, opportunities, and ECs. I think many of the people here are the ones I see who sit in the back of class or eat alone and wonder why they have no social life. Everywhere is dangerous not just Charlotte, personally I would not walk around ANYWHERE alone and in the dark but maybe that is just me. The surrounding area is fine just be smart and walk with others and display confidence/non-target characteristics. I am pre-med at UNCC with Anthro major. Sociology is also a great degree here is you are trying to learn more about the world. I already have medical school interviews with a 3.5 GPA so I think my education here did me fine. When you get to UNCC do not whine about the commuter part. I am a commuter but I hang out with my friends all the time, am the president of two clubs, involved in 5 clubs, party on the weekends, go to sports events, etc! People commenting bad probably are not social enough to make their own friends. Come to UNCC and see people are just negative about nothing.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: B+

After going here for a year and a

Nov 21 2013Language - French/Spanish/etc.
After going here for a year and a half, I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've met some of the most interesting people, and made friends I know I will keep for life. Before I came here, the big myth I heard was that it was a commuter school. In my entire freshman year, I only knew one person who went home every weekend, and now that I am a sophomore, I don't know anyone who goes home every weekend. We have a lovely campus with modern buildings, our student union is only a few years old, have nice athletic facilities, and really, really nice on-campus housing. Most dorms now were built after 2004 and the only old dorms left on campus that aren't planned to be replaced are the highrises, but as a freshmen, you can avoid living in those by being in a Learning Community, which I highly recommend. All of my professors seem to be really caring, approachable, and friendly, and I love my academic advisor. There are plenty of clubs to join, I think there are over 300 on campus. I like being near Charlotte, too. We have a great basketball team, and our Men's soccer team are C-USA champions for this year. With the new football team, I have noticed a sense of new school spirit. My only complaint is that the location of the school isn't really Charlotte, it's on the outskirts of Charlotte in University City, near areas with a high crime rate. Crime is sometimes a problem, but not usually. All in all, I love UNCC. It's my home.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

What's up with all the terrible ratings on

Dec 05 2013Computer Science
What's up with all the terrible ratings on here? I honestly think there's a lot of students expecting UNCC to be a breeze (since the entrance requirements aren't very high), then when they do bad, they go on here at lash out. When I was applying for colleges, I almost didn't come here due to all the negative reviews on this website. To all the naysayers--- UNCC has been a great experience for me during my first two semesters. If you don't like it, do everyone a favor and transfer to another school, instead of going online and whining about it.

Firstly, the math department is hit or miss. With most professors, you can pull out an easy A, but I felt like I had better math professors at CPCC. There are quite a few profs (as well as physics professors) that don't speak English as a first language. That's not to say all the professors are terrible, I just find them to be either too easy or too hard.

The computer science department is incredible. Every person I've known that has gone here for computer science has gotten a good job before they graduate. So, for prospective programmers, this is the school for you, if for some reason you cannot attend UNC or NC State. Even if you can, you should maybe consider coming here to save some money. Don't get me wrong-- there's plenty of bad professors, but for every class there's usually a good professor and a bad professor. Just ask around to see who you should take when registration time comes.

The philosophy department is great. Very insightful lectures, engaging content.
To all the people complaining about the English department... I haven't taken an English class here, but my brother majored in English at UNCC, and he said there were good professors and bad professors. You'll find that at every school. QQ more. That's the thing that irks me about all these reviews. Maybe if you guys didn't want such terrible professors, you should've gone on ratemyprofessor.com. Every university has bad professors. Quit whining.

As far as social life goes, I've found it to be great. It's a little alienating at first, but people here are very open. If you want to make friends, be social, but don't be overly social, and you'll meet plenty of people. I've found in my group we get weirded out if someone comes up to us and makes it obvious they're desperate for friends.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015