StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Greensboro - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina - Greensboro

Virtue signaling is common.Quite BrightArchaeology
Virtue signaling is common. Some professors are more lenient to students than they should be and allow them to get away with behaviors the student would be punished for if equality really mattered to the professor, like they claim it does.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1921
Campus Maintenance: A+, Innovation: F
The academics are an extension of my highQuite BrightEnglish
The academics are an extension of my high school classes. Look, if your strength in school is memorizing information and repeating what teachers tell you, then you will enjoy your time here, at least academically.

As an English major, I was hoping for intellectually stimulating classes that involved real discussions and thought provoking ideas. Really, I've had three classes like that, and the rest are just memorizing mundane facts from literature that was written 300 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love literature. But most of the classes just go into very surface level ideas. I have had some professors who go against this norm--but even then I found that, while I loved those classes, my fellow classmates hated them.

Students here tend to like highly structured environments with little critical thinking, and most professors comply with this. I know a lot of people who basically admit to me that they aren't very smart/don't think for themselves and yet they have 4.0 GPAs here. (I'm not saying smart people can't succeed here, it's all about if you're willing to put the work in)

You might be thinking--what? This guy's wrong. UNCG is known for it's creative environment!
Yes, UNCG does have a reputation for being creative/artsy. But here's the thing--I have been in multiple creative writing classes, and most of the students are just flat out terrible at writing. I would feel guilty saying that, except those same people are also incredibly arrogant about their work. The creative writing professors are cool, but it's not un-common for students to lash out at the class and professors for not liking their crappy stories.

I have friends in the art department (who are highly skilled themselves) who tell me that many of their art classes are also like this.

Basically, my perception of the student body here is that it's largely made up of people who think they are a lot brighter than they really are. Like most UNCG students, I'm progressive. But I think even the progressive students here largely don't know what they are talking about.

Honestly, it might be that all colleges are like this. Or all colleges of this level. I didn't apply myself in high school and I ended up here, and so if this is where you are going to go, and you feel you're a creative, original thinker, all I can say is try and make the best of it despite your surroundings. I liked the experience because of a small group of friends that I found that I will cherish forever.

Overall, I came to UNCG with high hopes of finally finding an environment I felt comfortable in and people I liked. I will leave UNCG at the end of this year, ultimately with the conclusion that human beings are disappointing.

The school itself I guess is an average college. But I expected college itself to be a lot...smarter?

3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: B+, Scholastic Success: F
Please listen to me when i tell youQuite BrightEducation
Please listen to me when i tell you this. DO NOT GO HERE. This was such a learning experience but honestly I hate this school. I read these comments and didnt believe a word anyone said. I thought i would be different and I wasnt. This is such a commuter school. EVERYONE goes home on the weekend. Trust me there will be nonone here and they close down most of the options to eat so your stuck with cold sandwhiches and grilled cheese. I met my boyfriend here and honestly that was the highlight. The class work is extremely easy and I barely have to study for anything. If you go here I recommend getting a job because you WILL have free time. The events here are so unorganized and the homecoming was shitty. Please take these commments into thought before comming here I wish I did. The athletics are a joke and youll find yourself at the gym because theres nothing else to do. DO NOT LET THE TOURS OR SOAR FOOL YOU. When your taking a tour ask some of the students how they feel. This is my first year and im transferring out a quick as I can. Oh and emailing your teacher and getting a response is almost impossible. But if you do go here get the spiro 15 not unlimited meal plan, the food is gross.Good luck
1st Year Female -- Class 1920