StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Wilmington - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Wilmington

Not much diversity among the students, if you

Jan 27 2014Finance
Not much diversity among the students, if you arent rich/preppy/stuck up/Greek life up it could be pretty hard to find a place to fit in. The advisors here are great, and most of the faculty are very helpful with providing students with resources. No one really does much curricular activities, and the sports teams aren't really a thing here so there's really no sense of community or school spirit. And the location of the school is kind of in the middle of a basic area, if it was closer to the beach, it may be a lot better as well. But whatever
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A+, Innovation: F
Nov 12 2013Aerospace Engineering

This school says its military friendly but that's a joke.

I transfered here from a large university where

Jan 11 2014Geography and Geosciences
I transfered here from a large university where football was king?so it was a 180 change. First of all the transfer process was a pain at UNCW, they are not organized. I was used to having an advisor that sole job was to be an advisor. At UNCW you are assigned a professor from your department to be your advisor? So basically they all have much better things to do and don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to advising. I was not kept up to date on anything important (such as deadlines to apply to graduate, etc) They entire school is relatively disorganized in their paper work too. That being said everyone is super friendly and will try their hardest to help you. The classes are not too difficult. There are some upper level classes that are challenging but nothing impossible. I do feel however that when I graduate in May I am not prepared for the real world. I spent 4 years in college and I feel like I HAVE to get a masters to be qualified for a job in my field. They focus too much on general classes? I commute from the Jacksonville area like many other military spouses do. My experience has a commuter isn't terrible. Most people have tried to accommodate me if I can't come for projects or meetings. I have found it is very hard to make friends though. Most all the activities that would help people meet others are held at like 8pm? I'm obviously not going to stay that late and then drive an hour home. Basically I go to UNCW for my education and leave. Which is fine for me, but if your thinking about commuting from Jax don't expect to get the college experience. It is also about the whitest school ever? and people in Wilmington are randomly really raciest and I just don't get it. Downtown is nice but everywhere else in Wilmington plagued by traffic and kind of ugly. People also don't wear shoes on campus a lot?. Bizaare? Overall I transferred here to be with my husband. So I am satisfied with my experience. However, if he were not in the equation I would not go here.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014