StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Wilmington - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Wilmington

Let me begin this by stating that INot so brightPsychology
Let me begin this by stating that I LOVED my time at UNCW. I also came to Wilmington from a very different standpoint. I was not initially excited about going to UNCW--I planned on transferring out as soon as I could to a 'better' school. However, after a few months at UNCW, I learned that I belonged in this place, as cheesy as that sounds.

UNCW is not a small school, but it is not a huge school like UNC or NC State either. You will not be just a number here. I see people I know on campus all the time--professors and students alike. Despite it's mid-size, it has a very "small school" feel. The majority of classes take place in buildings on Chancellor's Walk, so most of the student body can be found walking up and down there. Regarding academics, I'm going to be honest--most of the classes here aren't that hard. However, that does depend on your department and your class level (freshman, sophomore, etc). As I advanced through UNCW, I took more and more classes that I thoroughly enjoyed and that changed my outlook on things. Those classes were not incredibly stressful, but they were not easy peasy either.

UNCW offers a lot for its students, if you know where to look. We don't have much sports, which is a bummer, but we do have a lot going on campus. There are always community-building events, free films, concerts, plays, competitions, etc. that are free or at very low costs for students. The school doesn't leave freshmen to fend for themselves; I definitely felt like the school took care of me while I was adjusting to college life. There are MANY student organizations and clubs, from Greek life to religious organizations. There are research labs, learning communities--pretty much everything you can think of.

Student life here is pretty great. Although Greek life is present, it is by no means overbearing or obnoxious. I definitely noticed more independent people on campus than Greeks. Most of the student body is very easygoing, friendly, and relaxed. We do live by the beach, after all--many students have that 'beachy' personality. I came to UNCW thinking everyone was going to be a preppy Republican, but really, most people weren't like that at all. Everyone was just really laid back and wanted to maintain a good ratio of class time : chill time. Then there were some that were extremely intelligent, driven, and ambitious--it was a nice mix. The party scene at UNCW was pretty good. When you're under 21, it's hard to do much unless you have a fake. Most of the house parties in town are held by fraternities and if you're not a girl, you'll have a hard time getting in. I know a lot of people tended to just drink with their friends. Like I said, people are chill here. When you turn 21, however, Wilmington is the best place to be. There are tons of bars downtown to indulge in and the beach bars are a popular destination on the weekends. The nightlife in Wilmington is overall really fun.

I highly recommend freshmen live on campus their first year. I lived in Cornerstone, a smaller dorm focused on learning/living communities. I made my best friends in this dorm and they are still my best friends today. Living on campus makes it easier to make friends, go to school events, join clubs, and meet new people in general. I lived on campus for most of my time at UNCW and loved every second of it. Most of the dorms/apartments at UNCW are really nice, new, and well kept. The only older ones that are less nice are Galloway, Graham-Hewlett, Belk, and Schwartz.

The city of Wilmington is beautiful and one-of-a-kind. After my four years here I have come to truly love it and will miss it when I move. The beach is maybe a 10-15 minute drive from campus, and Wrightsville is gorgeous. Every year there is a party on the beach called Beach Blast that UNCW holds for its students. On the opposite side is downtown Wilmington, which has a very hipster, artsy scene. There are tons of cute restaurants and cool clubs downtown for those who like the city feel. The waterfront area downtown is also really pretty, and apparently a lot of scenes from One Tree Hill were filmed there. I know I sound like a commercial for UNCW or something but I just really loved my time here. I came here seriously thinking I was just going to transfer, but UNCW won me over. I love the gorgeous campus (very green, and classic buildings), the smaller student body, smaller classes, the attentive professors, and the city of Wilmington in general. The great weather doesn't hurt either :) Honestly, if I had to pick one thing to change, it would be diversity. It's no secret that UNCW is mostly Caucasian. They are trying to change that and diversify UNCW. However, there ARE minorities here, you just have to look for them (I would know, I'm one of them haha). I would highly encourage you to take a campus tour and talk to a Student Ambassador about UNCW!

4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: B+
Overpriced.Bright
Overpriced...catered to freshman...not helpful to non-traditional students...yes there are some*** amazing teachers and interesting/beneficial classes (for these i am grateful) but there are also some*** folks who do not do their job AT all- not the most welcoming campus. certain programs are unorganized and certain staff, who unfortunately hold a considerable amount of power over one's grades and future, are biased and rude. Life is stressful enough- not into the high school vibe. If you're looking for higher education, may want to choose a school that invests more in its people and not its image!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: D+
I have noticed ever since I got hereBrightBiology
I have noticed ever since I got here that Greek life dominates. It seems like UNCW hasn't been transparent with the stats because until here recently they always said that out of all students 10% were Greek. Now all of a sudden I find out they are 12% Greek which is above the national average, while 50% of all males that are students being in fraternities. Before that they said it was 11% males and 10% females. The whole Greek life situation seems to cripple the school socially in my opinion. Seeing certain professors and students over here trying to be so exclusive and cliquish it is hard to not admit that the campus environment over here can be a bit rough around the edges and competitive in ways that have at times seemed a bit unfair to me.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
The University of North Carolina Wilmington

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→