StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Wilmington - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Wilmington

Oct 02 2014Chemistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Honestly? If you're an out-of-state student and you don't know anybody from north carolina, you're in for a huge culture shock. I don't know if it's because I'm from the north and I'm used to a more liberal feel but the students here are very close minded. There isn't much diversity here and it's very hard to find your niche if you aren't apart of the greek life. Greek life pretty much dominates everything here. If you're looking for a University that's easy to assimilate, diverse, and accepting, UNCW is not the place. Ask anyone who doesn't quite fit the 'sorority or frat' mold. You have to be a certain type of person to really enjoy yourself here. Other than the abysmal social life, the academics are pretty good and the faculty is usually more than willing to help you with anything you need. If academics are all you're looking for than UNCW is a good choice. If you're used to a liberal environment and you're worried about fitting in, UNCW is DEFINITELY NOT a good choice.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
Aug 31 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred to UNCW from NCSU after my sophomore year because i was really miserable at State with the huge, impersonal academics and the party scene. I loved it for the first two years, but it got old, and when I was ready to buckle down, I just didn't find the personalization I wanted. While I had heard good things about the business school,, I still presumed that being a smaller, more regional school, it might not be as challenging. I found the opposite. The Cameron School of Business offered challenging coursework and great opportunities for internships (something else I was worried about.) The campus is gorgeous and the surrounding town is friendly with the beach literally down the street. I was disappointed that I couldn't get a job easily, despite my internship, but that led me to grad school at UNC, which has been wonderful. My professors here at UNC have also commented positively on my undergrad at UNCW, and I have found the two schools quite aligned in that regard. One huge downside, especially for early undergrads, is the lack of big-time athletic events, but I had done that at State and it frankly has a shelf life for most of us who are serious about an education. The students here in Wilmington were much more friendly and open-minded. The student body, though, tends to be really attractive, and I will admit that I was a hottie at State but had much more competition at UNCW. lol All in all, it was a great experience, and it has prepared me for grad school extremely well. Doing it over, I would have started here because the courses are all really taught by professors instead of TAs, and I would have just visited State for the ballgames.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C+
Jan 27 2014Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Not much diversity among the students, if you arent rich/preppy/stuck up/Greek life up it could be pretty hard to find a place to fit in. The advisors here are great, and most of the faculty are very helpful with providing students with resources. No one really does much curricular activities, and the sports teams aren't really a thing here so there's really no sense of community or school spirit. And the location of the school is kind of in the middle of a basic area, if it was closer to the beach, it may be a lot better as well. But whatever
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015