StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Wilmington - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Wilmington

I have noticed ever since I got hereBrightBiology
I have noticed ever since I got here that Greek life dominates. It seems like UNCW hasn't been transparent with the stats because until here recently they always said that out of all students 10% were Greek. Now all of a sudden I find out they are 12% Greek which is above the national average, while 50% of all males that are students being in fraternities. Before that they said it was 11% males and 10% females. The whole Greek life situation seems to cripple the school socially in my opinion. Seeing certain professors and students over here trying to be so exclusive and cliquish it is hard to not admit that the campus environment over here can be a bit rough around the edges and competitive in ways that have at times seemed a bit unfair to me.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
Honestly? If you're an out-of-state student and youBrightChemistry
Honestly? If you're an out-of-state student and you don't know anybody from north carolina, you're in for a huge culture shock. I don't know if it's because I'm from the north and I'm used to a more liberal feel but the students here are very close minded. There isn't much diversity here and it's very hard to find your niche if you aren't apart of the greek life. Greek life pretty much dominates everything here. If you're looking for a University that's easy to assimilate, diverse, and accepting, UNCW is not the place. Ask anyone who doesn't quite fit the 'sorority or frat' mold. You have to be a certain type of person to really enjoy yourself here. Other than the abysmal social life, the academics are pretty good and the faculty is usually more than willing to help you with anything you need. If academics are all you're looking for than UNCW is a good choice. If you're used to a liberal environment and you're worried about fitting in, UNCW is DEFINITELY NOT a good choice.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
I transferred to UNCW from NCSU after myQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I transferred to UNCW from NCSU after my sophomore year because i was really miserable at State with the huge, impersonal academics and the party scene. I loved it for the first two years, but it got old, and when I was ready to buckle down, I just didn't find the personalization I wanted. While I had heard good things about the business school,, I still presumed that being a smaller, more regional school, it might not be as challenging. I found the opposite. The Cameron School of Business offered challenging coursework and great opportunities for internships (something else I was worried about.) The campus is gorgeous and the surrounding town is friendly with the beach literally down the street. I was disappointed that I couldn't get a job easily, despite my internship, but that led me to grad school at UNC, which has been wonderful. My professors here at UNC have also commented positively on my undergrad at UNCW, and I have found the two schools quite aligned in that regard. One huge downside, especially for early undergrads, is the lack of big-time athletic events, but I had done that at State and it frankly has a shelf life for most of us who are serious about an education. The students here in Wilmington were much more friendly and open-minded. The student body, though, tends to be really attractive, and I will admit that I was a hottie at State but had much more competition at UNCW. lol All in all, it was a great experience, and it has prepared me for grad school extremely well. Doing it over, I would have started here because the courses are all really taught by professors instead of TAs, and I would have just visited State for the ballgames.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014