StudentsReview :: Western Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Western Carolina University

Campus News:

Gas Tax Update

Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most

May 10 2014Art & Design Department
Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most destructive experience of my life. In fact, I can't even write the name of the school without a twinge of irony. It was much worse than skipping school and going straight to work. Western seems to attract professors that can't make it anywhere else. I had to return to school years later and get a real education elsewhere. I would strongly advise students looking for a positive educational and social experience to look elsewhere. I wish someone had written about their experience about this supposed school when I was a kid, and that I had read it.I hope this will spare even one bright and inquisitive student the same experience I had in this magnet for ignorance, incompetence, bigotry and meanness....
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I just finished up my freshman year of

May 06 2014Unknown
I just finished up my freshman year of college here at WCU. It was not a very nice experience...im actually glad to be going home for the summer because at least it gives me a chance to get ready for another terrible year here at western carolina. This school is a giant popularity contest, and not to be mean but getting into wcu is soooo easy. I didn't even have to fill out an application like I did for the other schools I applied too. I can't tell you one thing I have learned since attending here. The parties suck, and the same people attend all of them. Fresh faces are not a very common thing here at Western. The students are rude and act like the are entitled to everything...FYI YOU ARE NOT! I want to transfer but I'm scared I won't make friends because i certainly didn't make any worthwhile ones here. Do yourself a favor and DONT COME HERE

First, I'll talk about classes

Jul 09 2014Psychology
First, I'll talk about classes. Class sizes are great! You typically will have about 30 students to 1 professor. Some classes are a bit larger but they're rare and are typically your liberal studies classes. Professors are all well educated, successful, understanding, and encouraging. I've only had one professor my entire time here that has given me any trouble. Class work and home work is usually pretty easy BUT you often get a lot of it. However, as long as you take the time to work on it and study you should be fine. I have to write a lot of papers for my major, which can be intimidating at first, but you will be surprised at how easy it becomes with practice.

Now for the fun stuff!
If your fun and happiness depends on how often you get to party, then I'd say this university is probably not for you. But, if you love the outdoors, developing deep friendships, having a sense of community,and experiencing new things then Western is perfect for you. Everyone here is extremely friendly and if you work to be involved and make friends then you will absolutely love it. The surrounding town may be a bit bland but Western does a great job of planning events to make sure that students are happy and entertained. We have an on campus movie theater, pool, arcade, karaoke bar, and more. If you're bored here, then I would argue it's because you aren't working to get involved.Overall Western has been an amazing experience for me. I've made lifelong friends and have been transformed as an individual. I would never choose to go anywhere else.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015