StudentsReview :: Western Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Western Carolina University

Nov 14 2014Anthropology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school is a really good school to go to if you are into outdoor activities. Once a week me and some friends with go on a day trip which usually consists of hiking or finding cute little surrounding towns. There is lots to do as far as outdoor activities go. I love the area, but I strongly dislike the actual university and the student body. I thought when I came to WCU I would be rid of all the petty high school drama...but to be honest with you WCU is so much worse when it comes to high school drama. The students are very closed-minded and all hang out in their own cliques. Someone is always taking poorly about someone else. The gossip is awful...you can't sneeze without half the student body assuming you sneezed because you have an STD or something ridiculous like that. Also the school really does not care about you as an individual unless you are in greek like. So I suggest being in greek life so you don't feel left out by your peers, or faculty. It's a rather sad thing that happens actually. WCU is also a very racist school. The N word is thrown around more than I care to admit. I actually had a friend who threw a bible out his window at a gay boy once. WCU is a good school, if you are a white, republican, greek who loves being outside... but if not please don't waste your time. I wish I would have transferred before I hit my senior year.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: D
Sep 16 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Western Carolina University is surely a small town school but it doesn't seem to detract from the fact that WCU is a great school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: F
Jul 09 2014Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
First, I'll talk about classes. Class sizes are great! You typically will have about 30 students to 1 professor. Some classes are a bit larger but they're rare and are typically your liberal studies classes. Professors are all well educated, successful, understanding, and encouraging. I've only had one professor my entire time here that has given me any trouble. Class work and home work is usually pretty easy BUT you often get a lot of it. However, as long as you take the time to work on it and study you should be fine. I have to write a lot of papers for my major, which can be intimidating at first, but you will be surprised at how easy it becomes with practice.

Now for the fun stuff!
If your fun and happiness depends on how often you get to party, then I'd say this university is probably not for you. But, if you love the outdoors, developing deep friendships, having a sense of community,and experiencing new things then Western is perfect for you. Everyone here is extremely friendly and if you work to be involved and make friends then you will absolutely love it. The surrounding town may be a bit bland but Western does a great job of planning events to make sure that students are happy and entertained. We have an on campus movie theater, pool, arcade, karaoke bar, and more. If you're bored here, then I would argue it's because you aren't working to get involved.Overall Western has been an amazing experience for me. I've made lifelong friends and have been transformed as an individual. I would never choose to go anywhere else.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015