StudentsReview ™ :: Western Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Western Carolina University

Campus News: Gas Tax Update

Western Carolina is certainly not a place for

Mar 05 2014Anthropology
Western Carolina is certainly not a place for everyone. I've heard all the sayings about college, and tried to take all the advice - I tried to get involved, be social, and make friends any time I was given a chance. The people here are just not people I'd want to make friends with. I'm - and I know I'm not the only one here - a very open-minded, pro-equal rights person, and it seems that everyone here isn't just close-minded, but rude and ignorant. People tell me about the "southern charm" and "southern hospitality" I was going to experience up here, but I got a bunch of people looking at me weird and treating me like shit because my family is from up north. I try to be out there with my equal rights beliefs, and people ask me if it's because I'm gay with a silent sneer and a condescending attitude. The LGBT club got shut down on campus because we "didn't have enough members," but God knows we have plenty of sports booster parents. I've heard incredibly sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, even Islamophobic comments here, and no one seems to think that's a bad thing - people laugh about it. I wasn't expecting to come to college and immediately get accepted, but I wasn't expecting to hate my experience so much that I dread getting up every morning. I've seen people refused service because of the color of their skin, their sexuality, their gender. I've heard more slurs here in the last two years than I've ever heard in my life. Never before have I felt so shamed to not be christian. The only reason I stayed for so long was for the exceptionally quality education. However, I have yet to have a professor that wasn't white.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F

"College is what you make it

Nov 22 2013Psychology
"College is what you make it." I heard that and got involved right away, or as much as I could. My experience here at WCU has been terrible for me, and given the chance I would have picked another university from the start. Majority of the student body is ill mannered, they will shove past you if you do not get off of the sidewalk (both males and females) excuse me is a lost cause, and holding a door open? Forget it! The lack of respect for certain people on campus is remarkable to me and makes me consider if we are really in the year of 2013. The LGBT group on campus was cut due to "inadequate performance" and there are many students who have been harassed for sexual orientation and gender. A transgender student's wig was stolen from her head and boys from a fraternity ran off with it and then proceeded to laugh about it in class.One young man was walking with his boyfriend and 5 guys yelled slurs at him for being gay. When the subway burned down along with two other locally owned businesses here the entire freshman class flooded the residential living page with pictures joking about it and this page is ran by school officials none of which tried to stop the madness, or reprimand the actions of many many inconsiderate students. I have been called names when I asked to join a team I was told "we already have one black person on our team so you can't be on ours." I am multiracial and I have never felt more out of place than I do here at WCU. One guy in one of the freshman dorms was drunk and was charged with battery on TWO women, however the university failed to inform us about the actions of this individual. Another freshman male was sentenced to 16 years in prison for possession of cocaine. The athletes are treated like royalty on this campus so if you enjoy superiority due to your athletic ability WCU is the place for you. I have gone on many retreats with clubs of WCU, as well as competitions, and I am active in many clubs however I have lacked connections and that should not be the case if I am being active and trying my best to put myself out there. The course work is not challenging at all, and I am highly disappointed. The professors however are incredibly sweet and approachable for the most part and I will miss that part of WCU. The cafe is disgusting the food really makes me sick every time I eat it. Majority of the time what is on the menu is not what is actually served. If you are a vegan or vegetarian the options are far and few between here. During the weekends however you can expect only pizza and salad no other options are available and most of the other on campus eateries are closed. One of my friends was called the n word and was told to go back to KFC and I have seen more than once how racial slurs are handed out to anyone of a minority. Most of these kids are very much still in high school mentally.There are ambulances outside of the dorms every night due to drunken injuries. I know there are ignorant people here and everywhere else, however the overwhelming majority of idiots here are incredibly ignorant, ill mannered, belligerent, close-minded, unmotivated and are rude beyond belief. I would recommend if you have even somewhat of a liberal mindset or regard for human rights to NOT come to WCU! If you value quality challenging education do NOT come to WCU! If you value attentive and effective police do NOT come to WCU as they only file reports when they "feel like it." Some people here love it but I have never had a more miserable experience in my entire life.
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

WCU fucking sucks

Nov 15 2013Unknown
WCU fucking sucks. Mainly because everyone still thinks and acts like they are in high school. I'm not joking when I say that going to this school is one big popularity contest..and people actually take it seriously. Everyone is close minded and stuck up. Going here is all about who you know and who you hang out with. I should have just stayed in high school to be honest with you, here is no difference. Greek life here is a fucking joke. Half the students in greek life here couldn't get into greek life at a real school. The parties are lame because they always get crashed and the same damn people are always at them. There are no attractive males or females at this school either... a 10 at WCU would be a 4.5 at NCSU. like do yourself a favor and don't come here :)
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: C-