StudentsReview :: Western Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Western Carolina University

Campus News:

Gas Tax Update

Western Carolina University is

Sep 16 2014Other
Western Carolina University is surely a small town school but it doesn't seem to detract from the fact that WCU is a great school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: F

Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most

May 10 2014Art & Design Department
Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most destructive experience of my life. In fact, I can't even write the name of the school without a twinge of irony. It was much worse than skipping school and going straight to work. Western seems to attract professors that can't make it anywhere else. I had to return to school years later and get a real education elsewhere. I would strongly advise students looking for a positive educational and social experience to look elsewhere. I wish someone had written about their experience about this supposed school when I was a kid, and that I had read it.I hope this will spare even one bright and inquisitive student the same experience I had in this magnet for ignorance, incompetence, bigotry and meanness....
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

First, I'll talk about classes

Jul 09 2014Psychology
First, I'll talk about classes. Class sizes are great! You typically will have about 30 students to 1 professor. Some classes are a bit larger but they're rare and are typically your liberal studies classes. Professors are all well educated, successful, understanding, and encouraging. I've only had one professor my entire time here that has given me any trouble. Class work and home work is usually pretty easy BUT you often get a lot of it. However, as long as you take the time to work on it and study you should be fine. I have to write a lot of papers for my major, which can be intimidating at first, but you will be surprised at how easy it becomes with practice.

Now for the fun stuff!
If your fun and happiness depends on how often you get to party, then I'd say this university is probably not for you. But, if you love the outdoors, developing deep friendships, having a sense of community,and experiencing new things then Western is perfect for you. Everyone here is extremely friendly and if you work to be involved and make friends then you will absolutely love it. The surrounding town may be a bit bland but Western does a great job of planning events to make sure that students are happy and entertained. We have an on campus movie theater, pool, arcade, karaoke bar, and more. If you're bored here, then I would argue it's because you aren't working to get involved.Overall Western has been an amazing experience for me. I've made lifelong friends and have been transformed as an individual. I would never choose to go anywhere else.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015