StudentsReview :: Western Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Western Carolina University

Campus News:

Gas Tax Update

Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most

May 10 2014Art & Design Department
Going to Western Carolina "University" was the most destructive experience of my life. In fact, I can't even write the name of the school without a twinge of irony. It was much worse than skipping school and going straight to work. Western seems to attract professors that can't make it anywhere else. I had to return to school years later and get a real education elsewhere. I would strongly advise students looking for a positive educational and social experience to look elsewhere. I wish someone had written about their experience about this supposed school when I was a kid, and that I had read it.I hope this will spare even one bright and inquisitive student the same experience I had in this magnet for ignorance, incompetence, bigotry and meanness....
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I just finished up my freshman year of

May 06 2014Unknown
I just finished up my freshman year of college here at WCU. It was not a very nice experience...im actually glad to be going home for the summer because at least it gives me a chance to get ready for another terrible year here at western carolina. This school is a giant popularity contest, and not to be mean but getting into wcu is soooo easy. I didn't even have to fill out an application like I did for the other schools I applied too. I can't tell you one thing I have learned since attending here. The parties suck, and the same people attend all of them. Fresh faces are not a very common thing here at Western. The students are rude and act like the are entitled to everything...FYI YOU ARE NOT! I want to transfer but I'm scared I won't make friends because i certainly didn't make any worthwhile ones here. Do yourself a favor and DONT COME HERE

Western Carolina is certainly not a place for

Mar 05 2014Anthropology
Western Carolina is certainly not a place for everyone. I've heard all the sayings about college, and tried to take all the advice - I tried to get involved, be social, and make friends any time I was given a chance. The people here are just not people I'd want to make friends with. I'm - and I know I'm not the only one here - a very open-minded, pro-equal rights person, and it seems that everyone here isn't just close-minded, but rude and ignorant. People tell me about the "southern charm" and "southern hospitality" I was going to experience up here, but I got a bunch of people looking at me weird and treating me like shit because my family is from up north. I try to be out there with my equal rights beliefs, and people ask me if it's because I'm gay with a silent sneer and a condescending attitude. The LGBT club got shut down on campus because we "didn't have enough members," but God knows we have plenty of sports booster parents. I've heard incredibly sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, even Islamophobic comments here, and no one seems to think that's a bad thing - people laugh about it. I wasn't expecting to come to college and immediately get accepted, but I wasn't expecting to hate my experience so much that I dread getting up every morning. I've seen people refused service because of the color of their skin, their sexuality, their gender. I've heard more slurs here in the last two years than I've ever heard in my life. Never before have I felt so shamed to not be christian. The only reason I stayed for so long was for the exceptionally quality education. However, I have yet to have a professor that wasn't white.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016