StudentsReview :: The University of Jamestown - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Jamestown

The only reason I chose this school wasQuite BrightNursing
The only reason I chose this school was for the nursing program. This program is smaller than UND or NDSU's nursing program in North Dakota, making it less competitive and easier to succeed with more one on one faculty to student time. Some of the faculty are very helpful. Since this is a small school others are very noisy and two-faced. Your advisor may seem very trusting, but behind closed doors they will talk about you. It is not uncommon for you tell to a professor something in confidential and the whole faculty of that department will know the next day...unprofessional.

Don't even get me started on the cost of tuition and the financial aid department. The tuition for this state is ridiculous. They claim that it is "affordable with all the scholarships they give out". Don't believe them; it is a lie. The cost of tuition is around 25,000 dollars and they may give you six grand in scholarships because you are on an academic scholarship. The thing of that is that is does not matter if you have a 3.0 or a 3.8, you will be getting the same amount. Try asking where all of this money is going to. This school has way less students than the other universities in the state, yet it costs 10,000 dollars more. They claim it goes to their "outstanding liberal arts". That is such bull shit. It goes to athletes who barely passed high school. It is one thing to give away free money to an individual that was born and lives in the United States. But recruiting people from Europe for their crappy soccer team is so fucking stupid. Basically this school has to charge more to support the lazy students that feel like they don't need to go to class because they will succeed on their athletic skills (FYI if you want to do that, you should probably go to a college that has a decent athletic department). Then we clearly know the faculty at this college is overpaid. First of all their salary is way too high, plus they get free education for their children. Why the hell should their children get free education just because their parent works at the school...oh yeah, because us students are fucking overcharged so we can pay. It would be terrible if their children had to take out a small loan even though we are over 65,000 dollars in debt from this pathetic school.

One would think that since the faculty is paid more than other schools in the state, they would have a better attiude...hell no! Majority of the general education professors should be fired. They think they can do whatever the hell they want. Then they complain when they have to actually have to work or grade something outside of office hours. I don't know if they are too dumb to realize our overpriced tuition is paying for their salary. The least they could do is get their head out of their ass and act like they care.

One staff/faculty in particular that I want to single out is Judy Hager. She is in charge of the financial aid department and helps determine the cost of tuition. University of Jamestown feels that if a student moves off campus, it is necessary for the financial aid department to cut whatever pathetic scholarship they already have in half; they are able to do this even though this is not their money (they claim it comes from former graduates). My questions is what does that half cut from us go. It certainly is not costing anything to this school for us to move off campus. If anything,it is saving them money. My guess is that they are using it to increase administration salaries. Anyway in 2016 they decide to change that rule only for students who graduate in 2019 and afterwards. This means whichever students who are already living off campus or graduating before then are being screwed over. They claim they at they are using that money to fix up their dorms. When I lived in the dorm, it was a piece of shit and I still paid 24,000 dollars a year. It was always around 60 degrees in the room because the fucking window was broke; but no they couldn't fix it. When we mentioned it to them, they charged charging us for it even though it was like that before we moved in. They were sending emails to us frequently and dropping by unannounced to "inspect our room". They backed out when our parents got involved and threatened to sue for harassment and false claims towards us. Needless to say the window wasn't fixed when we were there. They thought it was so helpful of them to suggest sticking a BLANKET in the window seal!!!.

So anyway several members of our class of 2016 went and talked with Judy Hager about the unfair extra cost of tuition us people leaving off campus were having to pay. Her comments to us were that "this is the way things are at the University of Jamestown and the freshmen will not have to pay additional costs because they had to make the change at some point with the classes". When we asked where the additional money we were paying was going, she got all mad and was totally unprofessional towards us. We told her that she had no right speaking that way towards us, especially since it is a private college and our part of our tuition is what is paying HER FUCKING SALARY! When we went to talk to the Dean regarding Judy Hagers behavior, they denied everything and said us students have misunderstood. We knew we were not going to come to an agreement, so us students told the dean "do not bother asking our class to speak with prospective students because we will not sugar coat or lie to these individuals; we will flat out tell them how shady this college is". I personally hope this college gets sued and taken for all that it is worth. At the least, ey could clean house and get rid of all the greedy bastards in administration. The would highly recommend that students should NOT ATTEND this college. You will be ripped off and lied to. If for any reason you choose this college, make sure you can graduate with a good degree to pay for excessive loans that you took out to pay for this overpriced school.

4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Scholastic Success: A, University Resource Use: D-
My degree did nothingBusiness - Management and Administration
My degree did nothing for me. I wish that I would have explored more colleges and programs before coming here. Visit campuses first to get a feel for the type of students and administration there.
If you are looking for a true "college"BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
If you are looking for a true "college" experience, Jamestown is not for you. Jamestown College has a small town "high school" atmosphere. They told me "what I wanted to hear" when I was deciding on a college and after the first semester, I was completely disappointed. We had RA's sneaking around spying on us like we were 12. The administration was arrogant. No one attended sporting events. Limited campus events. I feel like I really missed out on a lot by going here. I wish I would have went to a larger university.
4th Year Female -- Class 1993