StudentsReview :: The University of North Dakota - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 4
Males 4
Avg years at University 3.4
Research Quality B+ (8.0)
Research Availability B+ (8.0)
Research Funding A- (8.4)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.3)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion A- (8.3)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (6.8)
Sufficient Pay B (7.2)
Competitiveness B (7.1)
Education Quality A- (8.7)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (8.1)
Useful Research A- (8.5)
"Individual" treatment A- (8.8)
Friendliness A- (8.4)
Safety A- (8.5)
Campus Beauty A- (8.6)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.7)
University Spending A- (8.2)
Extracurriculars A- (8.7)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.5)
Surrounding City B+ (7.8)
Social Life/ Environment B (7.2)
Graduate PoliticsC+
"Individual" treatmentA-
I am in the Special Ed online mastersSep 27 2017Education
I am in the Special Ed online masters program and in every class I am learning so much useful information to my career from the classes, professors, classmates and the workload. My professors and the entire college are the most understanding, thoughtful, and caring people. They want to help you succeed and work with you. They even called me down in Florida to make sure I was okay and offer extended deadlines after Hurricane Irma. How caring and thoughtful! As a side point, this is also the cheapest, quickest way to get my degree and really learn my stuff so I can be the most educated, experienced, and effective educator I can be. I love this place!
My main issue with UND is the administrationJan 09 2014Geography and Geosciences
My main issue with UND is the administration. All three years here, I needed to spend a whole week each semester dealing with some pretty ridiculous red tape policy issues. Each time it was something different. I definitely felt that I was just a number, and there was no way to talk to a reasonable person who could help.

The biggest issues were with the student account services department. This semester they placed a hold on my account which is preventing my financial aid from disbursing. I need the financial aid to pay my bills so they can remove the hold. I am in a catch-22. I have been trying to pay these bills with my Visa Card, but they do not accept Visa! Who doesn't accept Visa??!!!

Their solution was to try to get a short term loan or a Target gift card (really?) to pay off the balance.

I was under the impression that the point of student financial aid was to be the resource students use to pay their bills, not Target.

The administration at UND is way to bogged down with senseless policies like this. They are only concerned with money, and definitely not with helping their students. I would not recommend UND to anyone for these reason.

Going for my MS in Applied EconomicsNov 12 2013Economics
Going for my MS in Applied Economics. I'm a distance student. The online aspect is great except for the fact that half of the professors and faculty do not pay as close attention to you. This is probably because they cannot get to know you face to face though. Most of the teachers in the economics department are way too busy to help. Either that or they just don't care about you.

The professor in charge of the economics department is extremely rude, arrogant, and dismissive. I've gotten great grades and have learned a lot but wish I would of known then what I know now. I had many issues just turning in required forms. The course requirements changed a semester before my last semester.

Overall 50 percent of the teachers I've gotten were arrogant, not helpful, and used class time to talk about how smart and awesome they are, while making fun of "dumb" people. These professors care only about their research, consulting projects on the side, and getting overpaid to be a crappy professor.The other 50 percent were the complete opposite. Its just the bad aspects that keep it from being a great program.

Apr 25 2013Electrical Engineering
applicable for international girls who takes a major for EE
After unfortunately deciding to go to UND's sateliteApr 24 2012Aerospace Engineering
After unfortunately deciding to go to UND's satelite aviation program in Mesa, AZ, I finally got my private pilots license. I have since transferred to ATP to finish my pilot education. I would not recommend UND aviation program because it not only cost me over $5000 more to get my certificate (because I did not graduate from UND with enough hours to transfer to ATP,) but I have had ongoing issues with the FAA telling me I did not graduate with enough hours from UND,even after spending upwards of $15,000 there. The instructors are hard to work with because they have other jobs that you have to work your flight time around their schedules. They aren't very considerate of your time as far as traveling to the school, (an hour away in my case),getting there and finding out the flight was cancelled, or something else came up etc. I did not learn a lot of things I should have been taught, the list goes on. Don't waste your money.
The department is nice but research infrastructure sucksMay 17 2011Chemistry
The department is nice but research infrastructure sucks. The chemistry department have a really nice NMR but no technician. You must learn to do everything on your own. You are required to take an ACS exam in each division, if you do not do well they will strongly suggest an undergraduate course and tell you your tuition wavier will cover this class. This is not true you will have to pay for this courses out of pocket. The politics really suck too, old faculty (tenured) don't want to do anything and new faculty (untenured) have to do everything. This dynamic causes all sorts of problems. Do to low enrollment of American students the department bring in foreign students which is fine, but once there are here it is hard to fail them out compared to American students. If you are an American student then you make up ~20% of the students. There is also a large cheating ring with students from Cameroon (not all are guilty) but if you say anything to the faculty then you are threatened by this students and the faculty do nothing. The older faculty that do not recruit do not want to lose this student because they would lose there research status and have to teach more. When choosing a faculty member to work for check there publication status because a lot are lame ducks and will blame you for there fail careers. There is also a spoken but not written rule, if you are married do not have children and if do you may lose your assistantship and will be ostracized for your child. This is closed minded thinking.

In term of area this place is great from April to October but bitterly cold in the winter. The apartment are extremely small old and overpriced (compared to Fargo). Food is o.k. but not great. Night life is like any other college or university but the campus is dry. I have created an email for question:

The University of NorthJul 16 2010Other
The University of North Dakota maintains policies and procedures that discriminate against students from outside the United States. I have filed a complaint with the attorney general and anti discrimination authorities.
If you are looking for a program whereFeb 18 2003Other
If you are looking for a program where the majority of the instructors make you feel lousy about the person you are and want to become, doesn't teach basic principles, or prohibits you from making a positive contribution to society, this program is the one to enroll in. The faculty are only involved in their own personal development, consider any student who has their own ideas to be worthless, and have severe listening disorders. If you like space and want to get involved - go somewhere else. This place is a waste of time.
Compare UNDSave UND