StudentsReview :: Dartmouth College - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Dartmouth College

Campus News:

The Last Word

My years at Dartmouth were some of the

Jan 15 2013PreMed and Medical
My years at Dartmouth were some of the best of my life. Granted, it was a long time ago. I'm an old guy now (34)! My professors at Dartmouth were caring, they didn't treat you like a statue or number. They were pretty accessible. The coursework was difficult, so don't attend if you don't want to work hard. In the long run, it helped prepare me for graduate school and life, even though I didn't see it at the time. I loved everything about the campus. I played soccer at Dartmouth (attacking midfielder and forward), and my teammates really pushed me in my studies, and my coached cared enough about me to check in on how I was doing off the field. I had the intent of becoming a Doctor of Chiropractic, but after I graduated, I attracted interest from a number of professional soccer teams in Germany, Ireland, England, Holland, and Italy. I signed with the Italian team Udinese, before transferring to Holland, and then ultimately to the German club VfB Stuttgart and finished out the rest of my 9 year career there. During the last year of my career, and after I retired, I worked on getting that D.C. diploma. I just graduated, and am self-employed, doing pretty well. Knowing I was from Dartmouth definitely opened some doors that wouldn't have been opened if I hadn't gone. The people at Dartmouth are amazing, not arrogant or "rich kids" or party people. Most students are focused and determined. The school is big enough to not know everybody, but small enough to know many people and have a close group of friends. The dorms were clean and comfortable as well. Personally, I love New Hampshire, the countryside is so beautiful! Sorry, I'm rambling. :) To sum this up, if you want to work hard and get a good degree to prepare you for life, while making new friends, and enjoying yourself, then go to Dartmouth. If you aren't motivated, then Dartmouth isn't the place for you. Dartmouth is a college that will prepare you for life. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing!
Starting Job: Professional soccer player Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
Aug 19 2010Biology

Best undergrad experience in the world! If you can get in--go to Dartmouth!

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: A-

Dartmouth is an Ivy League school, but perceived

Mar 27 2011Other
Dartmouth is an Ivy League school, but perceived as "second-rank" Ivy. The drawback for many students is its remoteness and relative isolation. Hanover is a small town and there are few opportunities for internships and jobs there, not to mention shopping opportunities. The weather, particularly in winter, is fairly nasty--lots of snow and ice, COLD! And yes, there are some "spoiled rich kids" around--although they tend to be more of the "giving back" and "let's have fun" variety than the "I'm SO privileged because of my daddy's trust fund, and much better than you" type. Few minorities, as a previous rant stated?? Yes, and it is hard for outsiders to break into those well-supported groups, which consist of people actively recruited and often given financial aid, in general, who apparently never realized before arriving on campus that rural New Hampshire is just that, and not New York City or the Badlands of the Dakotas. I'm Asian, and it is amusing to me to be lumped in with "whites" as The Oppressor. . .

In any case, Dartmouth is for you if you like small classes, dedicated teachers, and an academic focus. It can be a challenge to make your own social life if you are not part of the Greek system, and a lot of people join frats and sororities here who might not do so on other campuses, just because the small town and small campus seem to necessitate creating a network for interaction. Yes, there are too many drugs and too much drinking for my liking. I'm a teetotaler. However, I visited many campuses before deciding to come here, and the drinking and drugs were just as prevalent elsewhere--and my friends at other schools report just as many drunken parties as I've heard about.

The classes are good, but must be selected mindfully. Teachers tend to have high expectations and to set high standards for themselves and for their students. If you are looking for excellent instruction and accessible faculty, then Dartmouth is your school President Kim is the most accessible and congenial and proactive college president I've ever heard of, and he takes great pains to meet with students and LISTEN to them and to their concerns. There are opportunities to dine and converse with visiting dignitaries and stars, just by requesting the ticket and showing interest.

Foreign study and volunteer service are emphasized at Dartmouth, and, frankly, the "D Plan," which mandates that the summer after sophomore year be spent on campus, taking courses, is a pain in the behind. It was instituted when the college became co-ed and there were not sufficient living accommodations for all students. I disliked it because the "off term" interrupts the continuity of education and friendships. On the other hand, my months abroad were indeed very real learning experiences, even if the lessons were largely learned outside the classroom. (I don't think that this is unusual in study abroad programs.)

Dartmouth is one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen, and there is considerable environmental awareness and incentives to be "green" (Dartmouth Green!) The food is so-so, in my opinion, and there are not enough options and limited serving hours. However, halal, kosher, vegetarian, vegan choices are always available, and there are on-campus houses that cater to these needs as well. The outdoors is part of the Dartmouth experience, and freshman year begins with an outdoors adventure that is intended to bond the newcomers to the existing community and to one another--and the efforts pay off. There are many festivals and events throughout the year that reinforce the bonding--bonfire, winter carnival, and other togetherness celebrations that are special and memorable.

Dartmouth Alumni are unusually loyal and committed to the school and remain active. Scholarship students like me also get to meet the people who are helping to fund their education and to form a relationship with them. This inspires the recipients to perform at their best level, gives them a face or faces to go with their gratitude, and also helps encourage them to give once they have "made it" themselves. Like so many others, the program emphasizes community and connectedness. It's not a perfect school, but if you want to learn with a group of basically intelligent, socially conscious, "nice" and well-scrubbed folks, if you like a sense of belonging and have a need for challenging and well-crafted courses, you might well love Dartmouth, as I do. It's all here, if you take the trouble to become part of it and optimize the opportunities. I would choose to come here again, although I might experiment more with courses given another chance.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012