StudentsReview ™ :: Hesser College - Comments and Student Experiences

BONUS: McIntosh College -- Dover, NH

Hesser College

It was a big mistake to enroll at

Apr 13 2012Other
It was a big mistake to enroll at Hesser College. It wasn't even a choice for me. They called me so i say I'd go and "check it out" so I drove 2 hours to get to the Salem campus only to find that they had already had the enrollment papers. I had to move 2 hours away from my home to attend classes in Salem. Later, I transferred to the Nashua campus only to find out Salem never sent them any of my paperwork like they said they would do. When I decided to move back home, I had asked about transferring to the Portsmouth campus. NASHUA STILL DID NOT HAVE MY PAPERWORK! They contacted Salem and Salem told them they I was still enrolled in Salems campus and i was failing all of my classes! No wonder Nashua never had me on their rosters! I am still paying on my student loans and have not attended school there in over 2 years. No campus can find any of my paperwork! Also, they are too expensive for the amount of education they offer. Half of the teachers there can't even speak decent english. Hesser puts you into classes with no prerequisites. So you don't even know what is being talked about most of the time because you never learned it. So I tell you, please save your money. Go attend another school. This is definitely not one I recommend AT ALL! All they want is your money. They don't care about the4 quality of your education.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F

I attended this school simply because it fit

Jan 06 2012Criminal
I attended this school simply because it fit my schedule and the Salem location was convenient. I was an adult student and, schedule-wise, it worked out well. To illustrate how ridiculously easy it was, I completed my entire 120 credit program in less than two years with no prior credit transferred. Other than an Algebra course and a U.S. History course and maybe a single Psychology course, I learned absolutely nothing. The school will accept everybody and anybody. There are no prerequisites such as SATs or ACTs required for admission. You just have to sign the financial aid forms. Many students are from depressed areas and speak English as a second language. It is my guess that the vast majority of students were at the bottom of their graduating class. There were very few exceptions and those exceptions were frustrated and angry. It was a total waste of time and money. As another poster stated, I have to lie about where I got my degree. I am embarrassed to voice the name of this college to those whom I meet socially. Sadly, I still have a lot of student loans to pay off and it sickens me to think I continue to pay for absolutely ZERO value and ZERO marketability. In most cases, classes dumb down to the lowest denominator and A's are routinely given just for showing up and I'm aware of students receiving A's who I rarely saw in class. There were endless videos or popular movies used as teaching tools, which is insulting and a complete waste of time and money. I took classes where I turned in lengthy papers only to find out that they were never read, no comments, suggestions. Nothing. As a test, I put bogus information in the body of my report and it was handed back to me with an A - No comments. Just the A. I guess that instructor never made it to page #3! The Career counselors have no clue whatsoever. It could just be that they have nothing to work with other than a pathetically embarrassing school and really dumb students. So, it's hard to gauge their ability when you have nothing to work with. In balance, I have to say that I did have some excellent instructors. Unfortunately, they ran the spectrum from excellent to those that needed to supplement their salary by teaching and evening or weekend class while putting in no effort.

I am a job readiness instructor in NH

Dec 03 2011Other
I am a job readiness instructor in NH. I have many clients who have gone to Hesser College. Part of my duties include vocational and basic education assessments in math, reading, etc. I don't understand how a college can take federal dollars in tuition for students who do not even test out at the high school level of basic skills. Only about 10% of my clients ever graduated, but they are now unable to find a job and the college does virtually nothing to assist in job placement, which is why they come to me. Their tuition is more than double the cost per credit of the community colleges, but then again, you have to prove that you are ready for college level work to be accepted into the community colleges. That being said, the CC's do offer remedial classes so that you can get to that level instead of Hesser's policy of setting people up to fail. I have never had an issue with assisting those that are ready for college through Pell Grants and student loans, I myself have been the recipient of some of these programs and I am eternally grateful to the tax payers for making my education possible. But I'm really tired of feeding my tax dollars to these so-called institutions of higher learning that are only interested in grabbing what they can without any concern for outcomes. These students leave without a degree, without any job placement assistance, but with a big bill in student loans. This is true for many of the online colleges as well. Had a client come in just yesterday who is now enrolled in the University of Phoenix, but tested at a 7.6 grade level in reading and an 8.3 in math!! Really?? Do you think she will be successful? And if she is, is that what we are to expect from our college graduates? We need to demand that these colleges are accountable and not just sucking the money from these federal programs. It is unfair to the tax payers and the students who get thier hopes up, only to be left with no education and huge debt.

Similar Schools: