StudentsReview :: Keene State College - Comments and Student Experiences

University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
University of New Haven -- West Haven, CT

Keene State College

If you live in New England or New York, are white, grew upAverageJournalism
If you live in New England or New York, are white, grew up in your average run-of-the-mill suburban town, did average/below average in highschool, REALLY enjoy drinking/smoking, and care more about social cliques and taking drunk/slutty pictures and posting them on facebook than your EDUCATION then come here. I'm not saying there aren't brilliant students or professors here but they are a minority, just like any college/community college.

I liked/like some of my professors but can't get past the idea of constant busy-work being thrown in my face. I'm a sophomore now and I feel like I'm still taking intro-level courses. Unless you're a safety major don't expect your department to go above and beyond to make sure you have a portfolio or teach you something that will put you above the rest in the job searching world.

As for the night life, we don't even have that going for us despite what our reputation says. Pumpkinfest as of now isn't a thing anymore because we *bleeped* that up and we've been paying for it ever since. Unless you are a freshman who finds it fun to wander around drunk as all hell in -5 degree weather and look for gross basement parties all night ? don't get your hopes up.

Be ready for the weather to be insanely cold for 50-60% of the year, it will HURT to walk outside, let alone find motivation to do anything aside from wait for the winter to be over and do your busy-work. It's early/mid April now and it's still FREEZING.

And for the BIGGEST problem about this school, atleast for me is the housing. It is the one thing that I find almost unbearable. Most colleges have doubles for freshman and then a wide variety of living choices for non-freshman, But instead this school likes to accept everybody and cram three people into these rooms that are supposed to be doubles.Freshman dorm rooms at other schools are WAY better then the dorm room I live in now, as a sophomore they require you to live on campus for two years so they can make that extra $$$. If I could rent a house/apartment off-campus as a sophomore this whole situation could be avoided, but no, Keene State NEEDS that extra year of rent pay even though they don't have adequate on-campus housing. I've just about had it and so has everybody I'm living with. I'm twenty years old and my family has given this school over $60,000 by now and I really feel like we are treated like cattle. This living space is disgusting and completely inappropriate for a twenty-year-old who is growing up and getting ready to live on his own. There is no space to think, work, have guests, walk around, enjoy privacy, in your own room. That's not okay and only adds to my stress and dissatisfaction with this school.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D
RA's Party and give the under age booze.Quite BrightOther
RA's Party and give the under age booze. School knows about it. But did nothing. Prty, party, Party, Tell them you are leaving. They dont care. NH has the most expensive state schools in the country. Thi sis what we get? All kids want is a education. When you go to this school. You cant get that. The staff wont even help you with problems. Drinking is the priority and drugs at that school. Nice Rep KEENE. IT even proved more Pumpkin festivel is now Called Keene Pumpkin Riot of 2014
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: C, Collaboration/Competitive: F
When I first came to Keene State IAverageEducation
When I first came to Keene State I had very high expectations. When I visited during the summer time going into my senior year of high school the facilities were very nice, and the people working at the school were extremely friendly. Needless to say visiting and actually going to school here are completely different things. I found during my time here that the student body is made up of kids that are still living in high school. The majority of students only care about partying, Greek life, and more partying; not the kind of atmosphere you want to be caught in if you are a serious student who has an open mind. What's worst is that the college itself does not take its bad reputation seriously, they literally keep up their party image to keep the money rolling in. Most schools are cool with partying (it's college it is going to happen), but Keene takes it to the next level. I have hung out with kids from other schools and have partied with them and it is more laid back than Keene. Also, the locals of Keene are creepy

and often are seen lounging on campus, or having their heads smashed into the hood of a police car by Keene police. My advice to kids wanting to come here, is to look at other options. There are better schools, and why limit your potential when you could be around intelligent people instead of clicky frat boys, and sorority girls. Don't waste your time at Keg stand college.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017