StudentsReview :: New England College - Comments and Student Experiences

Southern New Hampshire University/New Hampshire College -- Manchester, NH
University of Maine Orono -- Orono, ME
University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH

New England College

There are self-directed students who will succeed inBrightPolitical Science
There are self-directed students who will succeed in almost any academic environment, and then there are those who require personal attention and a bit of complementary and supplemental support. In my experience, New England College accommodates both types with ease. From the prospective of academics, NEC will not disappoint, but you must be willing to work hard for distinction and avoid the common pitfalls applicable to all college students, ie: disengagement, failure to perform, apathy, substance abuse etc. I'm not a typical student from a social prospective, but my experience tells me that students at this college are friendly, insightful, supportive, and interesting. The faculty/staff/administration are equally so.My grades were always a top priority, and to be completely honest, I probably had a few "better" options in terms of networking and distinctions. In any case, I never regret my decision for a second. I'm proud of graduating from New England College and I'm pleased with the opportunities the education has afforded me. It might not be for everyone, but for the those of us that fit in, it is the best possible choice.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: D
I feel NEC has prepared me well for life outside of college.BrightCommunications
I feel NEC has prepared me well for life outside of college. My major is a pretty broad one so I am sure I will find the right job for me given the right amount of time. The best advice I have for students once they arrive at NEC is to get involved and break out of your comfort zone of activities you did in high school. You'll meet tons of new people. The faculty and staff are very nice and the the professors always have office hours and willing to help you out with any problems you might have with understanding what you are learning. The tutors in the Pathways Center are also very helpful.
Preparedness: C- Reputation: C
The biggest complaint of the NED comunity isCommunications
The biggest complaint of the NED comunity is that ther is nothing to do. To an extent they are right. The closest city is Concord and there, you will find yourself isolated to Louden road. There is a 24 hour Wal-Mart, so when you're board at 1:30 in the morning you can go there and proably Meet up with Other NEC students as board as you are. Pats Peak is a ski area that free for NEC students and it only 5 minutes from campus. It may be small, but it's a nice escape. Also if you like the outdoors NEC can be a playground; there's a river nearby for canoeing and such. Ther is a rope swing going into the river, and if you're brave, you can jump into the river from the covered bridge; Just don't hit a rock-OUCH!!

I tried to make the most of my time there pleasant by joining Clubs. I was did ultimate frisbee, radio, the music club, and Adventure Bound. I highly recomend looking at Adventure Bound. It might not have the most money but unlike other schools that have a so called adventure group Adventure bound is like a family. You really get to know the other members (you have to be voted into the organization, not anyone can join). Oh yeah, stay active in campus life. I found the only way not to be board was to take initiative and do thinks myself in order to get them done.

If you like parties you can't go wrong at NEC. The frats go at it every week and freshman drink in their rooms a lot. If you're not a partier, like myself, don't worry, there are a lot of people like you and friendship is better than parties anyway.

Like Adventure bound NEC is a community. Everyone knows almost everyone and is a friendly place to be. The professors were always available fo consults and advice.

The work load is very manageable. It is interesting work that isn't to har. I felt that NEC was light on work, but most of the learning was done in the classroom. There is great group discussion and classes ranging in size from about 8-17 people. There is also a great learning center with help for all students.

A guide about the dorms: (the heating abd cooling system goes on the fritz all the time and dorms can get extremely hot and somtimes the heat will break in the dead of winter

Colby: a freshman dorm located next to the Simon Center (student center) five buildings with common rooms. it is the best of the two freshman dorms.

West: another freshman dorms overlooking the simon center lawn and the river. Is wider than Colby but not as nice.

Charter: Charter is located in the Quad it has two floors mixed with freshman and upperclassman. furniture is built in and the ceilings are high.

East: Upperclassman dorm. has three buildings with three floors. There is a common lounge which no one uses. Rooms overlooking the Quad are low on sunlight. There are also suites

Conor: same as East, heat dosen't work
Union: Three floord all suite style living. Newer building, located in the quad with charter, east, and conor.

Off Campus Dorms
Row: apartment style living, rooms are bigger. It is an old barn
Sanborn: Furthest from campus, heat works. dorms are in an old house. Half of the gouse has been recently renovated and those rooms are quite nice.

The food sucks a lot. I recomend spending a little more money and eating out as much as you can. Now i know college food is not the greatest, but at NEC it is the pits. If you are a vegitanian your only choises for meals will be pasta are PB& J every day of the week. Are you a veagan? Don't get a meal plan- eat out!

On the bad side, The administration is not the greatest. Yes they are a business and have to make money, but thay become nasty if you are late with a paymeny by one day. If you club spends the budget in an unapproved way, like buying all the members dinner when your concert sells out. You and your club will pay dearly. NEC does not have a lot of money and in many areas like the propayne heat it shows. At least they spend money on good professors.

I thought about transfering out of the school for over a year. When I finally did I realized the NEC wasn't so bad. Yeas I got board and frustrated at the administration, but when I think back to it the education I got there was very good. While not the school for everyone NEC is a good small school with a good community. Friends are good and easy to come by. Also because the school is isolated you bond with your friends because you spent a lot of time with them.So Yes I recomend NEC it is a good small school with good academics and its easy to have very good friends. I would also add that if you don't take the time inititative to do thinks for your self, you will be board and want to leave.

Compare NECSave NEC

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→