StudentsReview :: Southern New Hampshire University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Southern New Hampshire University

My wife and I are both attending onlineBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
My wife and I are both attending online at SNHU. I attended Miami Ohio University for 2 years and I can honestly say that SNHU provides the same level of quality education. I write better papers at SNHU and I actually understand a great deal of the math classes, such as stats. I would definitely recommend SNHU to anyone who is pursuing a degree in business.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: B
Can I print the eBook?Super BrilliantPsychology
Can I print the eBook?
This question couldn't be answered by 7 altogether academic and admissions advisers in SNHU. Since they offer this customized eBook, I believe this answer was very simply and easy to answer but it wasn?t. The lack of interest in solving my problem was very disappointing. Also, before enrolling I asked my admission adviser about the courses materials and he didn't specify that SNHU has customized access codes on its eBooks. My academic advisor didn't tell me I had to pay twice if I wanted a printed version when an eBook is required. The supervisor for the academic advisers believes they didn't do anything wrong because many students prefer the online versions. I believe my advisers should have informed me since I was insisting on my preferences for paper versions.

I registered in SNHU on March 2017. I am a transfer student who needs 10 courses for getting a bachelor in Psychology. My first course was Sociology of Social Problems. I bought a physical version of the book required for this course. I got an A+ (967 points out of 1000) and I was very happy with it. I worked hard and I was proud of my grade. My teacher's feedback wasn't what I expected but I think I learn a lot from the book and the research I did for the assignments.

On the last week of April 2017, I was ready to register for Biopsychology but I got a very unpleasant surprise. The required materials for this course was an eBook, and the "optional" was the paper version of the book. My experience with previous text books was that paper versions always come with an access code for the online lab. I always bought a paper version because I can't spend hours reading in front of a computer. So, it didn't matter if I got the online or paper version of the book. However, this time was different. SNHU has a customize code for this eBook that allows students to get access to the university lab. This code is not in the regular books. Therefore, in order to get access to the university lab I had to buy the eBook ($85.00) and about $120.00 for the physical book (loose-leaf). The explanation I got from the admission director was that the eBook gives me access to many resources and quizzes and the paper version doesn?t.

I pay tuition ($960.00) and it should cover quizzes and access to the university library and other resources, like many other universities. So, I don't understand why I have to pay for an online book which I am not going to use. I was willing to pay extra for the physical version, but they won't give me the access code for the lab. They insisted I had to pay $85 for that eBook, but I didn't buy that book. Finally, the supervisor of the academic advisers sent me an email explaining that only a very small portion of the eBook can be printed. This answer was not what I expected neither.

Disappointed by this answer, I was ready to quit and look for another university. But the supervisor of the academic advisors told me that the disability department can be an option. She explained if I qualify, they can give me the paper version free. I don't really understand how I can qualify for a disability status. My irritated eyes and headaches after reading for hours in front of a computer don't fall in the category of a disability. I am a tutor and I work with people with real disabilities. I know the process of getting an approval for extra accommodations; and a doctor's report is required for this process.

Even though, my experience with the first course was fine, I am planning to look for another university. I simply don't understand the criteria of SNHU personal. Also, the disorganization and lack of information from the advisers? team makes me think that I might face many more obstacles in the future. My advisers were supposed to contacted me back for solving my problem, but I waited patiently for more than a week and no one contacted me back. This really surprised me because during my first course I used to receive phone calls from different advisers asking how I was doing; and when I really needed their assistance, no one was willing to help me on time.

I didn't register there to get only a degree, I enrolled there because I want to become a competent professional. I think they don't understand the difference. Hope my experience helps others make a good decision. Thank you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: C+, Education Quality: F
The One Stop Office is a joke andQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
The One Stop Office is a joke and will rip you off! I am a Sr. at SNHU. I have done their verify yourself three times now. More than any of my classmates. I have some medical issues and became home bound. They were aware of this and still made me leave my home against the orders of my medical team to get a paper notarized. I also had to send in my ID, a piece of mail, this paper, and a letter of why the bills are not in my name. I did all of this, yet today they put a block on my account. First they told me I did not get the stuff in on time and I proved I did it the same day. Then it was they don't know why because they cannot see and it was a federal requirement. Then it was it is a school only requirement, they cannot see what the issue is and it cannot be changed that either I have to transfer schools and lose a bunch of my credits or pay them 3000 (almost) a term to finish my last five classes. It shows they have my loans and grants for the full year and will not be releasing them anytime soon for me to attend another school. I was told it is not my right to know what the problem is and I can not appeal this. Now, these people have my federal tax transcripts, IL State ID, medical paperwork proving I am home bound, mail, their papers (many sets), my federal aid and loans, and the letter stating that I live with my grandmother who I take care of and all the bills are in her name. I was told these were fine. Now they are not and they are trying to steal money from me that I have to pay back, force me to disobey medical orders in order to stay in school, and forcing me to lose most of my credits because most school will not accept many of their credits. Which they fail to tell you. There history program is that of a high school really. I already knew all this stuff. The whole school is a joke really. I have had many advisors, most of which don't answer their emails, calls, or return them. One Stop will mess with your aid over and over again even when you haven't made any changes. They will not refund money they flat out stole by this game of theirs. I have filed complaints with the school, the New Hampshire department of education, and the BBB. I have also contacted a lawyer and will be suing this university. Run as fast as you can.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017