StudentsReview ™ :: Plymouth State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Keene State College -- Keene, NH

Plymouth State University

Like everybody has said, Plymouth is obviously a

Feb 27 2014Business - Management and Administration
Like everybody has said, Plymouth is obviously a party school. Worse than that is the fact that it's difficult to ever just "chill" with some friends there, if you're a girl, guys are constantly all over you and make it super uncomfortable to go out. So many girls are so incredibly stupid it's mind-numbing. Partying, drinking, and drugs is all there is to do every single night. "Same shit, different day" describes Plymouth perfectly.
University Resource Use: B, Surrounding City: D-

I just graduated from

May 19 2013English
I just graduated from Plymouth on Saturday May 18th. My time there was amazing. It was the best school I could have chose to attend. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the campus, faculty, and the students that attend/attended.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A+, University Resource Use: C

If you're a big fan of the cold,

Mar 13 2013Other
If you're a big fan of the cold, winter sports, drinking, and smoking, Plymouth State is a a great place for you. Oddly enough though, you are met with just as many muscled up jersey-shore-ish guys/fraternity brothers as you are with hippies. I truly wonder how all these guys found their way up here, but their drunken antics are less than amusing. I only went to a few frat parties there, and steered way clear of the two main ones which had numerous stories of slipping girls roofies and was also the place to do hard drugs, not my scene. The fraternities are not affiliated with the school, which is probably part of the problem, so it may not be fair to judge the school itself based on them. But the social scene was far from ideal.

The academics were not bad, but certainly nothing to rave about. I had some really incredible teachers, and some that were really boring or unhelpful. Boring I can deal with, everyone has a lecture or two that is painful to sit through. What I can't deal with is a teacher who is annoyed when you ask questions and is uninterested in helping you to accell. Thankfully I only had a few of these teachers, but they still really left a bad impression. There are some really good programs, like meteorology, and adventure education. I started out as an adventure education student, and while I really liked my classes, it didn't seem like a substantial enough degree for what we were paying. I ended up attempting to design my own major, which went really well at first, my advisers were really helpful, but unfortunately I had placed a large emphasis of the program on philosophy. The philosophy courses were cancelled semester after semester because I was one of only 3 students who would sign up for them. So I ended up leaving Plymouth in my junior year. If you're a huge ski/snowboard bum, then this is your mecca. I've skied since I was a child, but I've never been that enthused by it, and I don't love the cold.A little bit about the dorms quick. I'm told that freshman dorms at college are never ideal, but I think that other universities must have had better options. They accepted too many incoming freshman the year I started so I was stuck in a triple in a room made for 2. Students were not remotely respectful of the living space, so janitors didn't care that much about cleaning up after them. I remember there was vomit on one of the walls in the stairwell for about 2 months before it was cleaned. I was so sick that semester from how gross the dorm was and living in cramped quarters that I had to drop 2 of my classes. I ended up getting a doctor's note the second semester to move into the upperclassmen dorms so that I would be healthy enough for my studies. I loved Langdon Woods. The new LEED certified building was great, and I had my own bedroom in a 4 bedroom suite. My roommates were super mellow too, not big partiers which was helpful.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012