StudentsReview :: Plymouth State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Keene State College -- Keene, NH

Plymouth State University

Regardless of what anyone will tell you, thisQuite BrightEnglish
Regardless of what anyone will tell you, this is distinctly a party school. On top of that, attempting to find a social life outside of partying is utterly hopeless. There are next to no cultural events or extracurriculars, and the area is disturbingly isolated. The students are largely rude, uncultured, and unintelligent; often they are generally boring as well. If one were to go to a community college at least they would meet interesting people on the fringes of the system, while at Plymouth you'll meet a load of generic, slow, underachievers.

I thought I could tough out one year to save money, but the school is a mess. The teachers are surprisingly good, but everything else is rubbish. Housing is a mess, I was unable to get a bed, and I'm in a room that is clearly too small for three people. Bathrooms are gross as well, and there is no wireless internet available with the housing, even if one were willing to buy/bring their own modem. The campus's food also made me violently ill several times.

If you consider yourself an outdoors person and you don't care too much for culture or intellect, then this is the school for you. As noted earlier, the school is not full of idiots, it's filled with underachievers who have next to no character. Most everyone parties (as previously mentioned) and the few people that feel that they have surpassed the "underachiever" label are pretentious and seem to live for the "big fish in a small pond" sense.

I mentioned that the teachers are very good earlier, and one would question why it's a bad school if the education seems strong. The reality of it is that the education is indeed good, but everything else is subpar or terrible and will impede your education. The food will make you sick and the entire area of Plymouth is so far removed from society that you will get rather frustrated. Unless one is able to commute very easily, Plymouth is not worth your money. It is a horrid experience. I read many reviews before attending the school and assumed they would be an exaggeration; however I found that they were not far off.Once more, if one is able to commute, the teachers all seem very competent. Otherwise the school is a nightmare unless you are a partier or an uninteresting underachiever. I chose not to listen to many of the reviews here, but I stress you to not do the same. If you found that my review at all spoke to you in regards to the lack of culture or isolated environment, then please do not choose to go to Plymouth State it is a frustrating nightmare and you will most likely regret it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F
I am the first to admit that IQuite BrightOther
I am the first to admit that I didn't want to go to PSU. However, I have to say that choosing to go here was one of the best decisions I ever made.

The school has a great sense of community; people hold doors open for the students behind them, everyone smiles at everyone and it is very easy to get involved since the student organizations (there are over 100) are so open to welcoming new members in. There is also a very approachable faculty. I have had many teachers give out cell phone numbers to call if students are having trouble with assignments. I have also had teachers offer to go get coffee at the local coffee shop to discuss an assignment, class, career paths, or life in general.

In addition, there is a very accessible administration. The dean of students, and the vp of student affairs can frequently be found in the dining hall eating and talking with students. There is at least one member of the administration at every student senate meeting ranging from the president to the provost to the various vice presidents. The president's cabinet meets with the senate executive board once a month. This is a school and administration that truly care about and listen to their student body.

PSU is also very involved in community service, both locally and worldwide. There are many organizations devoted to this including Alternative Spring Break, PSU Volunteers, Habitat for Humanity, and Ending Genocide Around the World. There are also many students not directly involved in these organizations who volunteer down at the Pemi Youth Center, or who help with construction of the local Habitat houses. I have had both challenging and easy courses here at PSU like any other school. I truly believe that what you get out of your education is what you put into it. I have loved my last three years at PSU and have grown as a student, member of the global community, and most importantly as a person.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C
Even though I haven't been too disappointed withBrightEnglish
Even though I haven't been too disappointed with my time at Plymouth there are definitely reasons I wouldn't recommend going. The worst part of the school is its location. There's absolutely nothing to do in the city of Plymouth. All you see is forest for two hours in any direction with the closest point of civilization being Concord. As a result you have a lot of students who do a lot of stupid shit (notice the "party school" reputation and what that should imply) when they're here because they're so bored and have nothing else to do. Plymouth wasn't my first choice but I had to settle because I couldn't afford any of the other schools I got into. This place is for people who want to go to college with a third of their high school class and never grow out of the old high school drama. It should be no surprise that this, coupled with the middle-of-nowhere/nothing-to-do location leads to most students being very, VERY immature. The academics aren't the greatest but are pretty decent for a state school. There are good professors and not-so-good ones, but none who made me really LOVE school like I used to. I've found my main goal here has shifted from "I want to learn as much interesting stuff as I can" to "I want to finish my schooling and graduate ASAP". I would think before going here, maybe visit the campus and see if it's the kind of environment you can put up with for 4-5 years.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012