StudentsReview :: Plymouth State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Keene State College -- Keene, NH

Plymouth State University

Despite being a "party school", and full ofNot so brightPsychology
Despite being a "party school", and full of some rather assholeish students, this is an excellent place to be. The academics are quite challenging and the teachers are eye-openingly compassionate and patient. With the exception of some egotistical and too personal art-department professors who teach courses that first years are forced to take, the teachers for the most part grade quite fairly, and treat students like equals. This university has a large focus on mental health and student well being, and this message is spread all throughout the campus, and each student really feels cared about. Despite being filled with many students who simply want to be hedonistic and party, this is a great university and would not choose to go anywhere else.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
If you're a big fan of the cold,Quite BrightOther
If you're a big fan of the cold, winter sports, drinking, and smoking, Plymouth State is a a great place for you. Oddly enough though, you are met with just as many muscled up jersey-shore-ish guys/fraternity brothers as you are with hippies. I truly wonder how all these guys found their way up here, but their drunken antics are less than amusing. I only went to a few frat parties there, and steered way clear of the two main ones which had numerous stories of slipping girls roofies and was also the place to do hard drugs, not my scene. The fraternities are not affiliated with the school, which is probably part of the problem, so it may not be fair to judge the school itself based on them. But the social scene was far from ideal.

The academics were not bad, but certainly nothing to rave about. I had some really incredible teachers, and some that were really boring or unhelpful. Boring I can deal with, everyone has a lecture or two that is painful to sit through. What I can't deal with is a teacher who is annoyed when you ask questions and is uninterested in helping you to accell. Thankfully I only had a few of these teachers, but they still really left a bad impression. There are some really good programs, like meteorology, and adventure education. I started out as an adventure education student, and while I really liked my classes, it didn't seem like a substantial enough degree for what we were paying. I ended up attempting to design my own major, which went really well at first, my advisers were really helpful, but unfortunately I had placed a large emphasis of the program on philosophy. The philosophy courses were cancelled semester after semester because I was one of only 3 students who would sign up for them. So I ended up leaving Plymouth in my junior year. If you're a huge ski/snowboard bum, then this is your mecca. I've skied since I was a child, but I've never been that enthused by it, and I don't love the cold.A little bit about the dorms quick. I'm told that freshman dorms at college are never ideal, but I think that other universities must have had better options. They accepted too many incoming freshman the year I started so I was stuck in a triple in a room made for 2. Students were not remotely respectful of the living space, so janitors didn't care that much about cleaning up after them. I remember there was vomit on one of the walls in the stairwell for about 2 months before it was cleaned. I was so sick that semester from how gross the dorm was and living in cramped quarters that I had to drop 2 of my classes. I ended up getting a doctor's note the second semester to move into the upperclassmen dorms so that I would be healthy enough for my studies. I loved Langdon Woods. The new LEED certified building was great, and I had my own bedroom in a 4 bedroom suite. My roommates were super mellow too, not big partiers which was helpful.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Social Life: F
I came on here before I went toBrightEnglish
I came on here before I went to college looking for solid advice, and was afraid I wasn't getting it. I'm going to give you my true opinion, I don't have bias against the school really.

This will very much be what you make of it. I know people say that all the time, but it really is. Granted, you have to have something to start with. So, let's start with social life.

If you are looking for a big city feel, you shouldn't be looking here. It's a small town that's relatively cute, but there really isn't much to do. It isn't too far from things to do like the outlets in Tilton, Manchester or Boston, but if you don't have a car or friends with a car you will get bored. Make friends and be creative. Finding things to do isn't going to be easy.

The teachers are friendly and classes are a normal size. I have never had a teacher who was unwilling to help me. The work is really not that difficult, which is good and bad depending on how you look at it. If you're looking for a challenge, don't come here.

We have a rep for being a party school, but it's not warranted. There are parties if you want to go to parties. I don't. You don't have to go to parties to drink, you can drink with your friends. There isn't a shortage of alcohol or pot here. If you don't do that kind of stuff, it isn't a problem. No one is going to make you and there are plenty of people who don't.It's really a mediocre school. I have fun here, I've made friends, the schoolwork isn't worksheets and coloring books. But if you want the very most for your money I wouldn't come here. This is very much a just getting by school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015