StudentsReview :: Saint Anselm College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Bryant & Stratton Business Institute (Rochester) -- Rochester, NY
Saint Joseph College -- West Hartford, CT

Saint Anselm College

I decided to attend Saint Anselm because IQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I decided to attend Saint Anselm because I knew several people who graduated from it back in the 80s and really loved these people and their values, however the school is not the same school that it was back in the 80s. Of course I expect a school to change, but not to the degree that it apparently has. The school's expectations are ridiculous. Especially when the acceptance rate is 80% of applicants. The college grants most students some type of scholarship, but apparently does not want to continue paying out the scholarship, because the administration encourages the professors to not pass all the students, thus the students can't keep up with the minimum GPA and lose their scholarships. The student's parents are either forced to pay the entire tuition payments or withdraw their students from the school. If a faculty member passes all students, God forbid with an A or a B, that faculty member's position is in jeopardy. It doesn't matter if the faculty actually did the job they are being paid for, by helping students to learn and understand the material. If the faculty give too many good grades they're fired. Most of the faculty that I directly dealt with have an arrogance about them that a student can't challenge their own performance. That is probably because teaching a student the material is discouraged. The only thing that matters is the outcomes of the courses, and the outcome better not demonstrate that everyone has passed the class because apparently that faculty would be a bad teacher. There is no value in a faculty actually teaching the material where everyone learns it and passes. Passing all students is an expectation that is frowned upon. We therefore see that the faculty do not teach the topics. They assign a book to a student, the student must read the prescribed chapters and be expected to memorize the content of the readings they were assigned. The faculty put little effort in teaching because if all the students in a class do, then the faculty is obviously too easy. I therefore have seen very little, if any feedback on any of the assignments I submitted. The student is supposed to accept the faculties grades with no actual feedback to support the faculty's evaluation. My cousin attends another university that is considered at the same level as St. Anselm and he showed me the feedback he received from his professors. The feedback was thorough and gave great suggestions to help him learn and improve with his writing skills and academic progress. I have never seen this at St. Anselm and I'm in my last year. I do see this school closing within 10 years, as I think they have not adapted to the times and have turned off so many students and the student's parents, that most people will decide to stay away from this place. Please do not accept your enrollment here, unless you want constant anxiety and be set back in life from succeeding.
3rd Year Female -- Class 1922
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F
I have loved thisBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I have loved this school since my parents dropped me off freshman year. Playing a sport here has really helped me excel academically and socially. Outside of sports, I have made amazing friends, learned how to be a great student, and learned to love the weekends.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1920
Education Quality: A, Innovation: B-
I first visited Saint Anselm College as aBrightNursing
I first visited Saint Anselm College as a sophomore in high school. I immediately felt at home. When I visited other schools, I always compared them to SAC. I was a bit intimidated applying to the nursing program here because it is a seletive program. However, I HIGHLY recommened going for an interview. SAC selects students not just off GPA and SAT's, but takes a hollistic approach when considering admission to the college. Extracurriculars and service are huge when applying, so try to be active in high school if you want to impress the admission councilors. This is an expensive school, so ask for more merit if you receive a scholarship. In my case, I received an additional 5,000 on my scholarship.

The academic rigor at this school is very challenging. I did well in high school, but was not prepared for the work load here. However, this school does a wonderful job at offering resources to aid students in success. I truly believe if you want to do well here its possble, but not easy at all. To clarify, I am referring to classes both in and outside the nursing program. I will later write a paragraph describing the nursing program. So, if you come here you may struggle a bit at first, but its possible to change that!

I've never felt in danger on this campus. It is very safe. Even though our address is in Manchester, we are pretty much in Goffstown. But, downtown Manchester is a 10 minute ride away. You are allowed to have a car on campus for all 4 years here. In no way do you acutally need a car, as public transit is available as well.

The food is very good here! In fact, we are ranked number 8 in the country (best food) by the Princeton Review. The food is all prepared here on campus, and not catered. The meal plan is pricey, but you are getting quality food. I've visited other friend's schools...none can compare.

The dorms are ok....in my opinion, they need to include more options for student. But, they have recently constructed new dorms that are both doubles and singles. The biggest issue is there are not enough suites and apartments, so its not uncommon for juniors to be stuck in a double. Housing is guarenteed all 4 years, and is granted on a lottery number assigned at random.

>>>for all perspective nursing students read this paragraph<<<
The nursing program here is very well known within the New England area. The acceptance rate to the program falls somewhere between 35%-40%, so as said before, its quite competitive. You start your first nursing course your freshmen year (fundamentals) and go on to start your first clinical rotation sophomore year. This really appealed to me when applying. I think its important to be exposed to the field earlier than junior year (when most programs start) because, it may not be for you, and its important to know that before spending thousands of dollars. This is a very demanding program, and very challenging. However, the profs want to help you succeed. But, you need to put in the work. If you are to come here for nursing, you may become frustrated when your non-nursing major friends have much less work than you...get used it. I will say, I have learned a lot during my time in the program. Its also a very rewarding program. Dont get me wrong...I do have a social life and still manage to have fun in college, just not as often as others. But dont listen to nursing majors who say they cant have any fun. I am involved on campus and so arent other nursing majors. Overall, its a fantastic program that offers a challenging, yet rewarding curriculum.

The student population is about 2,000 students, so its SMALL. This appealed to me because I was looking for a smaller school. You dont know everyone, but recognize faces. Also, word travels fast here...so dont make a bad rep for yourself! Overall, I wouldnt change my decision for the world. I love Saint Anselm College. Like every school, it has its flaws, but you are truly receiving a great education here.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2018