StudentsReview :: The University of New Hampshire - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA
University of Vermont -- Burlington, VT

The University of New Hampshire

I am a freshman at this school with

Nov 17 2014PreMed and Medical
I am a freshman at this school with a Pre Med Major. I got put into one of the "best" dorms, Christensen. This dorm is all freshman that divides the floors into half boys and half girls. The vast majority of the guys here are the classic bros, same for my roommate who I met by going random. If you are not a Bro, it is hard to make friends who aren't complete douche bags. Thursday nights are the worst here due to "Thirsty Thursday" where all the people who have an easy ass major get extremely drunk and can be found throwing up in the bathroom before 10PM. This partying will go on until extremely late, and if you aren't passed out from alcohol, you will need to sleep with headphones on because the dorm is so loud. The dorms are always loud, whether it is a weekend or not because everyone blasts music as loud as they can because the RA's do not give a shit at all about noise. Studying in the dorm is absolutely impossible, but the Dimond Library is extremely nice and has many different places for you to study that range from no talking rooms to rooms with couches and tables where you can have conversations.

Almost every single girl here drinks, and it is very hard to find a nice cute girl who isn't stuck up. The girls who are attractive usually fall into the trap of becoming trashy, so if you are looking for a nice girlfriend, find one early in the year.

Being a freshman, it is very hard to find parties to go to because all of the frats require that every guy has at least 4 girls to even out the ratio, so if you are having trouble meeting a ton of friends that are girls, good luck getting in. Usually the weekends are spent either walking around trying to find a party, or just hanging out with friends in the dorm. Not much else goes on since drinking is the major activity. IF YOU DO NOT DRINK, DO NOT GO HERE. You may say that I am just a bitch and need to be more outgoing and such to meet people, but I have tried that, and there are just not enough people here who are friend material that will last. The girls are very dumb, and those who aren't are usually very gross like in my major.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

UNH is a beautiful

Apr 01 2014Computer Engineering
UNH is a beautiful campus with a great pedigree that really focuses on helping students not only get educated but prepare for their future.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: C+

UNH is not all bad

Aug 25 2014Finance
UNH is not all bad. If you are looking for the golden years of college experience, this is a pretty decent fit. Nice campus, lots of drinking, easy classes and friendly and helpful faculty.

If that's not what you're into, I would pick a different school. Trust me when I, and other people who review, say "everyone is a bro/hoe". Could not be more true. There used to be a school-wide joke on a facebook page called "unh crushes" (where people anonymously posted comments about people they saw on campus who were bangin) and the joke was "that girl I saw in Philly today with the yoga pants, uggs, and black northface jacket". The joke being that almost every single girl there was dressed in that outfit, not exaggerating. Most girls are unbelievably dumb, even the "smart" girls are about average. They are above-averagely hot though, if that's what you're into. The guys are mostly frat guys. Thursday-Sunday the entire campus is filled with drunk people, school cops patrol the campus but only intervene if you sit down on the sidewalk (because you may be sick), other than that, they just keep on driving, even if you are OBVIOUSLY drunk and underage (which is actually kind of a good thing, if you ask me).

That being said, even though I transferred to another University, I did not hate my time at UNH. I figured my degree would be worthless (which it may) and that I wanted to make connections with people who had more to offer than booze (which was hard) so I left. I enjoyed the food, the parties, the atmosphere, but it gets old unless you are very into that sort of thing. Although, there ARE people on campus who are interested in making real connections and friendships (join some clubs and you will find them).Be warned--if you attend this University, your degree will have a hard time getting you a job. I know many senior with no jobs. That is a risk you take at any University, though. If you want to have a good time and a good college experience and don't mind so much about the empty-headed student body and easy, boring classes than this is a good school for you. I am not trying to put down UNH. It was not the best fit for me, but I know many people who are very happy there. It's really just about what you're into.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016