StudentsReview :: The University of New Hampshire - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 10
Females 3
Males 7
Avg years at University 2.3
Research Quality C- (3.8)
Research Availability C (4.8)
Research Funding C- (4.1)
Graduate Politics D+ (3.3)
Not Errand Runners C- (3.8)
Degree Completion B (7.1)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] D (2.2)
Sufficient Pay C- (3.5)
Competitiveness C- (3.8)
Education Quality D+ (3.2)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.3)
Useful Research C+ (5.3)
"Individual" treatment C (5.0)
Friendliness D+ (3.4)
Safety C+ (5.1)
Campus Beauty A- (8.5)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.1)
University Spending C+ (5.2)
Extracurriculars C- (3.7)
Scholastic Success D+ (3.2)
Surrounding City C (4.2)
Social Life/ Environment C- (3.5)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]D
Campus BeautyA-
I have honestly mixed feelings about my timeJun 15 2019Chemistry
I have honestly mixed feelings about my time here at UNH. I started as a Ph.D student and ended up leaving with a masters to pursue a Ph.D at another university (which isn't too uncommon in this department). My thoughts are the following:

The size of the department was small and that was both good and bad. As a positive, there was a strong sense of community and even a "family-like" atmosphere. All of the professors knew who you were and what you were working on, the graduate students generally all supported each other, and there were many times we were all in the same room which helped reinforce the community (lunch talks, seminars, etc). As a negative, when you are all around each other in a small area 24/7, gossip happens and there was some toxicity in the department- people talked about each other and there was frequent drama. This would probably happen in any department so I don't entirely blame UNH but they could have done more to facilitate a better work environment.

The coursework for the chemistry program was superb and I learned quite a bit (also had to work my butt off to get an A). However, coursework is a very small part of a Ph.D/research-intensive masters program. The research projects are all novel and interesting (in my opinion), but the funding isn't there. Therefore, students are supported on TA which has very demanding responsibilities and this takes away from research time. Most professors are well aware that students have TA responsibilities and understand but it results in most students taking at minimum 6 years to graduate for Ph.D and 3-4 years for masters (which is a very long time for a master's degree!). The department needs to find ways to lessen the TA load so that students can focus more on their research since it almost seemed that teaching was the primary responsibility followed by research when it should be the other way around.

In terms of the surrounding area, it is beautiful and I totally took that for granted. Portsmouth is only 10 minutes away and you are essentially right on the New Hampshire coastline! I lived in Dover and highly recommend- decent social atmosphere, young feel to it, and housing relatively inexpensive. Overall, I liked my time here and grew a lot. It won't be perfect in any department but I truly think the faculty care about their graduate students there just isn't a ton they can do in terms of stipend. The stipend (16.5 K/year) is atrocious and it really does add to the stress... hard to focus on research when you are barely affording your rent. But, the community in the department is one of a kind and it took me a year away after graduating to realize and appreciate that.

I am an onlineMay 13 2018Social Work
I am an online MSW student.
Some classes have been great, with good teacher interest and interaction. Other classes have had very low teacher interaction/interest. Choose your teachers carefully!
I was very disappointed in almost all aspectsApr 17 2018Chemistry
I was very disappointed in almost all aspects of my graduate education here at UNH. There was just not a good culture in my department- most graduate students seemed depressed and uninterested in their work, which led to an unproductive environment. About two years into my degree here, I began to feel that the department just uses their graduate students for TA resources rather than actually caring about their development as scientists. Most graduate students (the vast majority) are on TA for the entirety of their Ph.D. Even the few that manage to make it off TA are then e-mailed and asked if they could TA (proving that the department is desperate for TAs). This is not good as you can not make reasonable progress on your thesis research if you are teaching/grading all of the time. If you are coming from a program that is not ranked high (such as this one), you need a lot of publications by the time you graduate or you will be job-less and the entire degree will be for nothing. Due to the high teaching demands, that is not always possible. To cite an example, nobody in my cohort has ANY publication after three years here. In my opinion, that is a problem worth investigating, yet nobody does anything. Most students seem to drop down to a masters after two years and the department makes it unreasonably difficult to leave with a masters (they told me that it takes three years to get a masters degree here). I do not understand how almost every other university in the nation can grant a masters degree in 2 years (sometimes 1) yet here it takes at least three. Something is wrong. All in all, I do not think this is a very good environment and I urge anyone considered coming here for a graduate degree in chemistry to really investigate the department and its resources before committing. The professors are just not actively involved in their research, students are teaching more than in the lab, and it all adds up to an unproductive research atmosphere that will hurt your career more than help it.
I couldn't wait to get out of this dumpMay 17 2016Chemistry
I couldn't wait to get out of this dump. This school scared me for life. Every professor I met plays favorites. The culture at my department was a little racist sometimes. Professors and TA's are always talking behind each others' backs and are always backbiting. Several professors at this department dislike or even hate each other and it has a negative impact on the students and their performance. This department felt like high school in that if you're not a part of the cool group you're neglected and ignored. The cool group involved students and faculty. Those are the ones who constantly were asked to accompany speakers for lunch or got funded to go to conferences. Funding at this school is a joke. They pay one of the lowest PhD stipends in the nation yet rent, meal plans and parking are so expensive. The food quality is pretty good though and the school in general is clean, modern, and well taken care of.
The program talks a great game but doesn'tOct 04 2013Business - Management and Administration
The program talks a great game but doesn't back it up. Once they have your last check and you graduate there is no helping finding a job. To make matters worse, UNH lacks cache with local employers. I graduated 18 months ago and now have moved back in with my parents and work at Dunkin Donuts to make ends meet. I would have been much better off to have skipped UNH's MBA program as no employer seems to value the degree.
This was truly the worst academic experience ofApr 16 2010Business - Management and Administration
This was truly the worst academic experience of my life. Given that this is a one year, accelerated MBA, the fact that I am barely going to cross the finish-line with my sanity says something. The academics were harder during my undergrad at UNH, my "cohort" has NO REAL WORK EXPERIENCE (Which for an MBA is just downright offensive), and I spend at most 15 hours a week for something I was told would be full time. I hate it here, and when I graduate I will have no pride attached to this degree. Once I increase my work experience, I am going to go somewhere else and repeat my MBA so that I can have pride in this achievement (and remove UNH's name) instead of the feeling of shame and disgust I have now. I have actively encouraged friends who are looking at UNH for grad school to look elsewhere. This was a huge waste of cash and I am deeply disgusted with the university. The degree is less than worthless and I at this point I wouldn't hire someone with a UNH MBA over someone with a business undergrad from anywhere else. They truly are the same thing. So much for the MBA being about upping your skills, all UNH's MBA program seems to be a diploma mill.
Research Topic(s): N/A
I received my MS in animal science fromFeb 15 2006Nutrition
I received my MS in animal science from UNH. I went there from another animal science dept in New England, with applied research experience in my field. The animal science/nutrition dept is small and very diversified, which I felt was a negative ( the diversity, not the size). Seminar each week was so broad, that people either wasted too much time on background, especially for things grad students in an animal science dept should know, or no background at all for some research that was so basic, the students had no clue what the applicability even was. The college of ag, though, may be reorganized, which would be a great thing, to ameliorate this problem (eg., by labs/groups organized in a logical fashion). Also, non-thesis students presented with thesis students, which I felt was detrimental to both groups, since time is important to everyone in grad school. Since UNH is a land grant univ, Hatch funding (small amts of money) are available for research, but outside funding is necessary to get anything larger than a small master's project done. Most assistantships are available for teaching, in fact I believe that RA's are now a thing of the past there, unless outside funding is secured. Teaching, however, is a great asset for your CV, as long as you make the best of it. I would recommend NOT teaching the generic nutrition class, since you will just be a puppet, although it is likely you will have no control over this. Try to teach a bio class, if you can. Also, another note on salary: it is frightfully low for cost of living. You will need to have at least one roommate, and even then you will be strapped without a small loan. Also, the univ makes you pay for your insurance, which is better than nothing, and that's about it. UNH should really look into doing something about salaries, they simply do not compare with other land grant schools when cost of living is taken into acct.

But my program and lab were excellent, as far as the research went. It is a very applied group (dairy) and small, but important and relevant research is published. Also, travel to conferences is encouraged, and you will make some important contacts. The professors are excellent and really care about you and your education, which is the most important thing. The facilities are also excellent, especially when compared with some very large and prolific land grants. You will do good research, bottom line.

As far as social life and such, it is non-existent in Durham. The ocean is close, which is great, but let's face it, if you have time to party all that much in grad school, you need some more work to do. The better bars are in portsmouth and Dover, FYI.

One other thing, I felt that some of the other students in the dept were simply not that serious about grad school, and were just there wasting time and money, which is disappointing. I also thought that a certain level of professionalism was missing.So there are pros and cons, but that is true at any school.

Research Topic(s): Lactoferrin and Dairy calves