StudentsReview :: The College of New Jersey - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

The College of New Jersey

Classes feel like high school but with lessQuite BrightBiology
Classes feel like high school but with less student-teacher engagement
campus is tiny and always under construction
those weird yellow smoke things are everywhere and smell terrible
dorms are gross
food is gross
FSPs suck (required freshman seminars- count the same as a full three hour lab course on actually useful information)

peer mentors are supposed to be helpful but they enjoy using scare tactics
personally, my advisor is not approachable
seems like this school was last on everyone's list and they only ended up attending because it was the cheapest and it shows

I'm in the honors college and the only difference is I have to take additional useless courses and lectures on information I will never use (and I live in the more antisocial dorm)

I hope I don't get in trouble for this- it's obviously my own very biased opinion.
I know that this shouldn't matter but nightlife/ social life is terrible- girls charged up to $25 to get into a party and given a solo cup with untrustworthy jungle juice that is most likely laced with xan, made with everclear, or both.

I only know like two people who genuinely enjoy this school, but I also only know two people who hate it enough to transfer. Most people figure they can just stick it out I guess.

1st Year Female -- Class 1923
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Surrounding City: F
Quite BrightEducation
I had an amazing education at TCNJ. The professors are very dedicated to teaching and the campus is beautiful!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
My experience with TCNJ was as follows:Quite BrightMath
My experience with TCNJ was as follows:

Pros:
-Academics come first and foremost in this college. I've heard that some majors are better than others, but I graduated being very satisfied with the education I got, and most of my friends feel the same way.

-Professors here care about your state of well being and are not absorbed in their research all day. They'll do anything they can to make sure you learn something valuable. I'm still in touch with some professors today!

-If you ignore the construction going on, TCNJ's campus is beautiful. You'll see that when it's really nice outside, people'll sit near the trees, on benches, or basically anywhere they can outside to work. It certainly beats staying in a dorm room all day.

-Buildings, whether dorm rooms or academic facilities, are cleaned very thoroughly.
-People here, for the most part, are VERY liberal.
-The few people I made friends with here are FANTASTIC. We're basically friends for life at this point.

Cons:
-TCNJ's biggest problem, in my opinion, is its lack of diversity, despite it claiming it to be one of the more diverse schools in New Jersey. Almost every person that I've met here (with the exception of a few) stays inside their social circle, and does not venture outside of it to meet different people. Athletes will stick together, fraternity brothers will stick together, computer geeks will stick together...basically, every high school clique you can think of exists here. Because I met people from all different groups, it was hard to fit in with just one of them. Diversity is not just about having students from varying backgrounds-it's also about having students interact with each other despite of this. TCNJ's students fail to do this.

-Considering the last con I wrote, I'm very surprised I was able to find good friends. That being said, I should mention that I'm an introvert unless I'm around friends. Because of this, most people saw me as too quiet, so they wanted nothing to do with me. Therefore, unless you're naturally social and outgoing, expect it to be difficult to find people to relate to here.

-Backstabbing. Some people will act really nice to you one day, but, if jealousy or fear exists for whatever reason, they will not be afraid to talk about you behind your back. Some even go as far as to pin other friends against each other (which was what happened to me, unfortunately). Especially for the social butterflies out there, be very careful who you trust completely at this college.

-Extracurricular activities are weak in the sense that they encourage the social "cliques" I mentioned earlier. Unless you fit in with a said clique, you might not get much out of any club, organization, fraternity, or sorority. Therefore, they can be somewhat exclusive in this sense.

-There's not much to do outside of campus, considering Trenton is nearby, and Princeton is only accessible via driving. Considering freshmen can't have cars on-campus, the best option for them is to take a bus, which runs very slowly anyways.Overall, TCNJ should be highly considered if academics are your main priority. In the social sense, however, the lack of diversity will prove to treat some students as outcasts (as was myself). It was definitely an informative college experience for me, but it was not one I'd repeat again.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014