StudentsReview :: Drew University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Drew University

Drew University is an amazing school.Quite BrightChemistry
Drew University is an amazing school. I loved my time at Drew. The campus is beautiful and the coursework was life changing. I studied chemistry at Drew and felt that the coursework prepared me for my career. Drew has strengths in the sciences. I've taken classes at Rutgers and coursework at Drew was significantly more rigorous and enriched than anything I took at Rutgers. Bottom line is that Drew is a great school and it has changed my life. If you love the sciences Drew is probably your best option in the NYC area.
more→Jan 28 2015
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, University Resource Use: B+
Drew University has done nothing but broken myQuite BrightPreMed and Medical
Drew University has done nothing but broken my spirits and put me down. After staying in a prison-like dorm my first semester, I decided to commute by train my second semester. Even though my first semester seemed ok, my second one was HELL!!! Drew is mainly for those who are ok with living on-campus in disgusting dorm rooms. Urine on the walls in the bathrooms is not what I call "a good learning environment". Since first year students cannot park on campus, you have to take the train which is a 20 minute walk one way to campus. The town of Madison doesn't snow plow the sidewalks so you are walking on ice in the winter. I ended up getting physically ill from commuting, since the living conditions on campus weren't ideal. I was hospitalized for a week in March 2014 after falling ill in class. When I came back to hand a letter from my doctor, the dean's receptionist in the EC building asked me if I could make it the rest of the semester without being hospitalized. That comment was completely uncalled for. I decided that day to leave Drew University. I don't need to be insulted like that and treated as if I chose to go away on vacation. Also, the pre-medical advisor has the same attitude. Her name is Dr. Christina McKittrick, Chair of Biology. She told me that since I have medical issues, no matter how well I do in school, there will always be someone better than me and that I should pursue other interests. Well, according to my physician, I am medically ok to pursue medicine. The food on campus is horrible so expect to fall ill even if you stay on campus. Their are not many clubs that meet during the day so commuters don't feel part of the Drew community. Another thing, Drew charges ways to much money for the quality of education that they provide. They spend their money promoting the school but rarely use those funds for the classroom. Every college expects you to take what you are given in the classroom and take personal responsibility in learning it on your own. However not every college goes out of their way to put you down when they say that you will never fail at Drew if you put forth the effort. Don't believe what they pay students that run tours to tell you. Drew does not care nor support students. Go to a public university that the state controls. Private ones like Drew follow their own rules and are not monitored by the state. I was in the top 30 percent of my class in high school, graduated with a 3.6 GPA and took honors classes. Drew did nothing but hurt me academically. Luckily I am starting fresh at another public university and am happy to be able to start over. Don't waist your freshman year at Drew like i did. Oh, and I did reach out to faculty at Drew, very few were supportive.
more→Aug 25 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
I, personally, LOVE Drew University.BrightPolitical Science
I, personally, LOVE Drew University. I understand, though, that some people wouldn't love it. I come from a small high school in a small town in a small state (Vermont), so the warm, open, and even slightly secluded environment of the campus and even town feel new and big to me. If I came from a big high school I probably wouldn't love Drew as much as I do, I'd probably feel a little suffocated, like I needed more out of a location, more size.

Some things about Drew aren't perfect (You'll probably have to take one or two 9am classes, the dorms aren't fancy and beautiful [for the most part], and the food is... not amazing.)

But what Drew lacks in the food/dorm department it more than makes up for. The gym is amazing, the library is fabulous, there's room for growth (if there isn't a club that you want, YOU CAN START IT), the classes are amazing (even the ones you hate at the time are incredibly eye-opening in the long run...), and the professors! THEY'RE THE BEST PART OF DREW. They will not only give you information and perspective, but they're teach you how to look at things in ways you never thought to, and they'll teach you to ask questions, and even question authority. And there is nothing more important than the power of inquisitiveness.

more→Jul 16 2014