StudentsReview :: Drew University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Drew University

My experience with Drew University has been mixed.BrightUndecided
My experience with Drew University has been mixed. On one hand, I've enjoyed my on campus job, my friends, and the teachers. The teachers (or at least most of them) are nice, and will help you out if you need it. Also, if you meet the right people, they will become some of your best friends.

On the other hand, I've seen bad things with the administration, on campus life, and public safety. The administration is slower than it should be, and the people there really do not try to help you should you get in trouble. The on campus life is pretty bad, there's events to go to, but not many people take advantage of them for one reason or another. One exception is the acapella concerts, many students turn out for that. Facilities is slow to respond, and they don't always fix what they're supposed to fix.

Public safety gets a big thumbs down here. They act like they own the place, and are not afraid to write anybody up for the littlest offenses. They will definitely give you a hard time if they even suspect anything, even if they are right or wrong.

Student apathy is pretty high on this campus, and the student government exists, but is not a big issue for most students. The retention rate hovers around 80%, and the class of 2011 is rumored to be dropping below the 80% mark. Many people remark about how this was their second choice school, or how they wish they had transferred, so this could contribute to the apathy.

The food is mixed, but overall bad. The Commons (the main dining hall) is mostly miss, but every now and then there's good food there. They now have special days with special chefs coming in, which is nice. The snack bar is the other place to eat and it has gone remarkably downhill. The food seems to be more expensive than last year for less quality, the people can sometimes be rude, and they always seem to be running out of important items, such as pepperjack cheese.Overall, if you appreciate scholastics more than social life by a long shot, come to Drew. If you value anything else more than that, take a long look at Drew, or look elsewhere. Don't come to Drew only to regret it.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
Collaboration/Competitive: B+, Education Quality: F
I love Drew.Quite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
I love Drew.
Starting off with the basics, the campus is beautiful. I see deer nearly everyday. The campus is kept clean, and there is a forest right on the edge of campus (perfect for late night walks). I have never felt a moment of fear on campus.

The clubs are a LOT of fun. I am involved with four myself, and on the executive board of two. If Drew doesn't have a club for what you want, starting one is really easy! My friends and I started the Drew University Crocheting and Knitting Society.

To people who say there is no social life, they don't know where to look. Drew actually does have a good amount of stuff to do at night and on the weekends. If you want to get off campus there is a train station a five minute walk from the edge of campus. NYC is a 45 minute train ride away. You discover all sorts of cool things to do, like getting student rush tickets for Broadway.

True, the food isn't all that great, but you can get creative. My favorite recipes involve spinach leaves with honey mustard, cheese, crutons, and a cut up chicken patty. Or a warm sugar cookie with a scoop of ice cream.

Also, I love the faculty and staff. I go to the President's open hour nearly every week. He calls me by my nick name now and is excited to see me. And the teachers are super available to help clear up questions or just to chat.I would write more but I have to get to class! Feel free to contact me with questions!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2008
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: B
While it has been more than 35 yearsQuite BrightPolitical Science
While it has been more than 35 years since I attended, having read all of the reviews it is nice to see Drew is pretty much as it was when I was a student.

Drew is definitely NOT viewed as part of a college town and is very much isolated from the surrounding community. The only welcoming business was OBrien's.

However, I never found that to be detrimental to my experience as the lack of warmth from Madisonites was more than made up for by the proximity to NYC.

I came from a very small rural community and isolated myself from everyone the first year. The isolation was my choice and certainly not the fault of Drew or my fellow students.

I suppose, had I had the opportunity, my review after my freshman year would have been scathing. It would have been easier to blame others for my isolation than accept personal responsibility for it.

During the summer between my freshman and sophomore years,
I resolved to become a part of the Drew community and from that point, Drew became the most rewarding experience of my life. The academics were excellent and the staff, particularly for my major (Political Science)could not have been more engaging and approachable. I still value the time I spent with Drs Salmore, Rhodes and Smith.

Absolutely there were cliques but I believe that to be true everywhere, particularly as my children have attended both small and large universities and related their experiences.

For me, college was about growing up and transforming myself into the person I wanted to be. I'm sure that process would have occurred with or without Drew, however, I can't imagine the experience could have been better than it was at Drew.

Drew was not about everybody else, it was about me. Drew offered me the opportunity to be introverted or extroverted.

I could have been a jock or an intellectual (I'm not implying they are mutually exclusive), joined clubs or avoided them. Drew offered the choices and I made my decisions.

The only disappointment I have is 35 years later I still have to explain where Drew is located and clarify I said "Drew" not "Purdue"!

Whether Drew University is worth the current tuition is left for todays undergraduates to determine.

For me, Drew was a gem and there has not been a single day I regretted choosing Drew for my undergraduate studies.

4th Year Male -- Class 1971