StudentsReview :: Drew University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Drew University

Before Drew I attended the University of PittsburghBrightNeuroscience/Cognitive Science
Before Drew I attended the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. When I arrived at Drew I had a very positive outlook about everything. The campus was gorgeous, they seemed to have their act together, etc. I figured as well that their academics were at high standards as well. As a transferring sophomore, I was placed in all of the new trial things for the freshman. A "Common Hour" which was a complete waste of time, as well as a College Writing course, dictated by the entire University. Well, these things were not well-thought out at all. They had good intentions, but it just came off negative. The administration is a pain to deal with, at the end of the semester I ordered official transcripts... they sent to the school without the courses I was taking, no less my grades. What the heck? The community here is very disjointed as well. A huge separation between poor and rich. This is completely not what I was expecting. I am very down to earth and thought it was really immature. In the past semester, there had been a great deal of vandalism, and the attitude of the students was very negative. The faculty actually seems to love what they do--at least the professors I encountered. They want to keep the campus safe and of higher standards. The new dean is trying to expand the university, and took SATS out of the admissions policy. BAD idea. How is a graded essay a proper measure of academic achievement? Not enough of one, if you ask me. There were more negative experiences I had on this campus with students than positive ones. They can either be really snotty and take no accountability for anything, or be really sweet and caring. It just depends. The drinking on this campus was pretty out of control. Kids were transported all the time, it was a regularity. (Though the funny thing is, alcohol related problems were DOWN this year.) The academics seemed great to me, they just need to straighten out come of the freshman curricula. Due to the campus life, I'm not sure I'd recommend this school. However, Drew always had a great deal of events and things to do, which made it nice. I didn't feel that I could be very outgoing here, that others were always judging. Something I never experienced before. This school is very big on study abroad and learning about other cultures, but in and of itself, is not very tolerant. As I said, there is a huge divide in the student body. I felt that many of the kids from certain groups were isolated to stay in that click. That's not at all what I want in a college. To me, it puts a cloud on learning and experience. The choice is yours.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: D
Most of the faculty are not passionate aboutQuite BrightNeuroscience/Cognitive Science
Most of the faculty are not passionate about what they do. Yet, there are a handful, and they are wonderful. But don't expect a "Dead Poet's Society" or Harvard-level of inspiration. Most of them punch-out as soon as they can.

The staff is horrible. The internship office is a joke (the director actually lied to another professor about something which I have e-mail evidence for), as is the registrar. The finanical aid office messed up my aid (which were personal loans that I took out, but they held-up or cancelled) almost every semester.

For the money you pay, you'll feel like you're at the DMV. The staff are like inept children - you will need to follow-up a million times about everything or they'll forget. Write & save e-mails! Even if you chat about something in person - send a follow-up e-mail so you have evidence!Again, you or your parents will have to be diligent for all the money you pay.

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Innovation: F
The faculty are not passionate about what theyQuite BrightNeuroscience/Cognitive Science
The faculty are not passionate about what they do. Yet, there are a handful, and they are wonderful. But don't expect a "Dead Poet's Society" or Harvard-level of inspiration. Most of them punch-out as soon as they can.

The staff is horrible. The internship office is a joke (the director actually lied to another professor about something which I have e-mail evidence for), as is the registrar. For the money you pay, you'll feel like you're at the DMV. The staff are like inept children - you will need to follow-up a million times about everything or they'll forget. Write & save e-mails!! Again, you or your parents will have to be diligent for all the money you pay.

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Innovation: F
Compare DrewSave Drew

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→