StudentsReview :: Drew University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Drew University

I, personally, LOVE Drew University.BrightPolitical Science
I, personally, LOVE Drew University. I understand, though, that some people wouldn't love it. I come from a small high school in a small town in a small state (Vermont), so the warm, open, and even slightly secluded environment of the campus and even town feel new and big to me. If I came from a big high school I probably wouldn't love Drew as much as I do, I'd probably feel a little suffocated, like I needed more out of a location, more size.

Some things about Drew aren't perfect (You'll probably have to take one or two 9am classes, the dorms aren't fancy and beautiful [for the most part], and the food is... not amazing.)

But what Drew lacks in the food/dorm department it more than makes up for. The gym is amazing, the library is fabulous, there's room for growth (if there isn't a club that you want, YOU CAN START IT), the classes are amazing (even the ones you hate at the time are incredibly eye-opening in the long run...), and the professors! THEY'RE THE BEST PART OF DREW. They will not only give you information and perspective, but they're teach you how to look at things in ways you never thought to, and they'll teach you to ask questions, and even question authority. And there is nothing more important than the power of inquisitiveness.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B-
I have to agree with the Bio major'sAnthropology
I have to agree with the Bio major's post. Drew is not what it used to be. I think the problem has resulted from the previous President who mismanaged a lot on campus. I don't think it has anything to do with Drew, as a school. Drew can be a great school and my understanding is that things will improve. They are searching for a new President who can redirect the school after the previous one was literally given a "vote of no confidence" from the faculty. Drew faced some debt issues as well which sort of forced them to accept students who might not have been selected under previous administrations. Obviously, the school needed money to pay for some new buildings and programs. Drew is a good small school. Could you do better? Yes, you certainly can. However, you can do much worse. Positives about Drew: small classes, abundant programs like study abroad and NYC-based programs, and good public safety. Negatives: Overpriced, a student body that is a bit immature, and not the best campus life. I think Drew is a good fit for very specific kinds of students. I think if you are looking for your "typical" college experience, look elsewhere. If you want rigor and a challenge, look elsewhere. If you want a small school that is "nurturing" then Drew is that place. If I were doing it again, I would have chosen another place. But what does an 18 year old know? Just really investigate your choices carefully. That is my best advice.
Based on the preceding negative comments, I canNot so bright
Based on the preceding negative comments, I can say this about Drew. Yes, I agree with the folks who wrote about those negative aspects of the school, but there are some good qualities about Drew. The problem with Drew is the price of a Drew education. Yes, the school has its problems, and since the new President came to campus in 2005, the school's reputation has declined. This is largely due to mismanagement and an incompetent administration. Drew still offers solid academic programs, which may not be the most rigorous, but they are solid nonetheless. However, the cost of a Drew education does not match the quality nor the value of the education. If Drew is going to charge what it charges to attend the school, then they should add rigor to the programs. The truth about Drew, and I agree with the previous posts, is that it is a safety school for many students. Because of this, the faculty, departments and the administration are afraid to increase the rigor of the programs for a fear of declining enrollment. As for student life, well, Drew does not offer frats or sororities, and the networking potential of a small campus and a rather disinterested corps of alums does not help the school's reputation. This is evident in the number of employers nationally who have never heard of the school nor understand Drew's culture. Why are schools like Cornell, Lehigh and Boston College known in California? These schools have national recognition because of good administrators, sports, academic research and certain departments at which they excel. Drew does not have this kind of recognition. It is a small school, and offers descent but unimpressive academic programs. There is nothing wrong with this, however, there is something wrong with Drew charging an enormous tuition rate. If you want a school similar to Drew, look at less expensive liberal arts institutions outside of the Northeast. As an alumni of Drew, I do not have amazing things to say about the school, however, you could do much worse in my opinion. The big question is: is it worth the price that you pay? In Drew's case, it is not.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→