StudentsReview :: Drew University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Drew University

Drew has its pros and cons, more prosEconomics
Drew has its pros and cons, more pros than cons. Its a good school with good academics. But I wouldn't recommend it if you want a big school atmosphere. I spent four years there and I was happy to move on but I really liked the college andalot out of my education there. Drew definitely has to improve the quality of the food. They are doing a lot of work on improving the campus. Academics at the school are very good and each year they get better. They are constantly finding ways to enhance the curriculum and the faculty really do care about the students. For this it is worth the higher than usual price tag. Socially it's a bit lacking because of it's small size. Students tend to go home on weekends, most are from jersey. NYC is close by and this is a huge plus. The campus is also serene. This makes for a pleasant college experience. Overall Drew is a good school that unfortunately flies under the radar but I think in time it will become more well known, especially with the new president in charge of managing things.
I, personally, LOVE Drew University.BrightPolitical Science
I, personally, LOVE Drew University. I understand, though, that some people wouldn't love it. I come from a small high school in a small town in a small state (Vermont), so the warm, open, and even slightly secluded environment of the campus and even town feel new and big to me. If I came from a big high school I probably wouldn't love Drew as much as I do, I'd probably feel a little suffocated, like I needed more out of a location, more size.

Some things about Drew aren't perfect (You'll probably have to take one or two 9am classes, the dorms aren't fancy and beautiful [for the most part], and the food is... not amazing.)

But what Drew lacks in the food/dorm department it more than makes up for. The gym is amazing, the library is fabulous, there's room for growth (if there isn't a club that you want, YOU CAN START IT), the classes are amazing (even the ones you hate at the time are incredibly eye-opening in the long run...), and the professors! THEY'RE THE BEST PART OF DREW. They will not only give you information and perspective, but they're teach you how to look at things in ways you never thought to, and they'll teach you to ask questions, and even question authority. And there is nothing more important than the power of inquisitiveness.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B-
I have to agree with the Bio major'sAnthropology
I have to agree with the Bio major's post. Drew is not what it used to be. I think the problem has resulted from the previous President who mismanaged a lot on campus. I don't think it has anything to do with Drew, as a school. Drew can be a great school and my understanding is that things will improve. They are searching for a new President who can redirect the school after the previous one was literally given a "vote of no confidence" from the faculty. Drew faced some debt issues as well which sort of forced them to accept students who might not have been selected under previous administrations. Obviously, the school needed money to pay for some new buildings and programs. Drew is a good small school. Could you do better? Yes, you certainly can. However, you can do much worse. Positives about Drew: small classes, abundant programs like study abroad and NYC-based programs, and good public safety. Negatives: Overpriced, a student body that is a bit immature, and not the best campus life. I think Drew is a good fit for very specific kinds of students. I think if you are looking for your "typical" college experience, look elsewhere. If you want rigor and a challenge, look elsewhere. If you want a small school that is "nurturing" then Drew is that place. If I were doing it again, I would have chosen another place. But what does an 18 year old know? Just really investigate your choices carefully. That is my best advice.
Compare DrewSave Drew

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→