StudentsReview :: Kean University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Kean University

Coming to Kean University has been the bestQuite BrightEducation
Coming to Kean University has been the best decision of my life. Let me start off, first by saying that I have transferred so many times due to the fact of personal issues. I am an education major and right now I am completing the requirements next semester I start my education classes.

What I like about this University are the classes and Professors, the size is just right, not too big, not to small. The professors know you by name, you're not just a number to them. People are friendly, the classes are challenging but hey, it isn't high school right.

One thing that I will complain about is parking. Parking is terrible, so make sure you come in early. I come here at 11am, and can't find parking by the entrance of the school. I have to park all the way in the back. Another thing, make sure not to park on the yellow lines, those are for the staff. I cannot even emphasize this enough, they will give you tickets, for $100 but I appealed it, and they reduced it for $50. You don't want to get tickets though so park on the WHITE LINES.

Safety is not an issue here. My latest class ends at 10:15pm, I walk to the parking lot like nothing, so don't worry about that.

The campus itself is beautiful, there's internet connections so bring in your laptop, lot of professors let you use the laptop in class and record it. Also, if you are having issues in class get tutoring, it's on CAS. Simple. I can't really complain, I've read horrible reviews about Kean and I was afraid of coming here, thinking that I will transfer again but that hasn't been the case. I love Kean, I am learning so much.

Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B-
Kean University is an excellent school.Quite BrightMeteorology
Kean University is an excellent school. The campus is not large, nor is it too small. It is just the right size to handle classes and free time. The best part of the campus' size is that you will always see familiar faces in the community and this makes daily life a bit more comfortable. Another good side of the university is the extensive amounts of programs and extracurricular organizations that are offered. It seems that there are so many people passionate about their goals (both academic and extracurricular). Living on campus is great, as this school has one of the best dorms that are usually kept with great upkeep. The two new residence halls are excellent facilities in apartment and suite style. There are no "traditional dorm" style housing on campus. Even the older buildings are being updated with new air conditioning facilities, laundry facilities, and even some fresh wall paint. The professors that I have had so far are extremely welcoming and friendly. Even though, there will always be that one or two professors who you can't stand. Then, you will have some professors who speak some broken English, but it is totally understandable. Otherwise, it is really manageable.The downside, though, parking at the university is terrible, and I feel that the lot is so far away from the residence halls. Also, sometimes dealing with offices can be a pain as some student workers are not always the best chosen customer service representatives. (But that's everywhere). Meanwhile, getting what you need to get done will be very easy if you know how to communicate and ask questions.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C-
Kean is a good school with some majorQuite BrightEnglish
Kean is a good school with some major drawbacks, especially if you're a resident. While the dorms are nicer than most, they're plagued with frequent complications due to construction.

The University is well maintained, but when there's a problem it doesn't always get fixed right away. The office of residence life is particularly slow and unresponsive- not because of the staff, but because of the cumbersome work order process used.

I can't complain about my department. Some professors suck, and there are a lot of adjuncts at the entry level. But as you move up, you meet some genuinely unique and caring individual. Coursework is generally easy- if you want to get anything out of going to Kean, you have to do a lot of independent studying.

As far as the sciences go, there's a lot of opportunity. The University basically gives free rides to science majors if they promise to teach at a local high school for a couple of years after graduation.

Social life can be a drag. Most people commute, so it's boring but easy to get involved in a leadership position. Getting other people involved is the hard part.

I don't regret going to Kean over TCNJ or Rutgers. I do regret that the improvements made to Kean in recent years are something that I will probably not get to fully experience.

Perhaps this is a good thing, since the vision of the current President is controversial at best. While President Farahi does seem committed to having strong and unique educational programs, he treats the university like it's a hotel or cruise ship. "World Class Education" is the new motto. It's just pro Kean University propaganda and, honestly, an unfortunate misuse of funds.

All in all, Kean's alright. The best I could do, anyway. Just stay away from infiltrating the ugly bureaucracy beneath the surface, though. It's souring, but I expect most universities are no different.

If you want a school that's going to provide you with a GREAT social life with TONS of things to do ALL OF THE TIME, you should go somewhere else. If you want a decent place to study (and have a little bit of fun) on your way to grad school or a career, Kean is better than a lot of places you could be. I suspect that, to get much better, you'd need to have tremendous grades in high school or be in a good financial situation.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2009