StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Mar 24 2014Unknown

They say there's a lot of social activities, but that's not true if you're not in a brainwashing Greek organization, that is.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Useful Schoolwork: D+

I enjoyed being a student at MSU and

Apr 03 2014Geography and Geosciences
I enjoyed being a student at MSU and I have nothing but fond memories. After having lived in a concrete jungle most of my life, it was refreshing to see trees, clean streets, and picturesque buildings. Tuition was reasonable and the student to teacher ratio was low. As a freshman, I was timid but by the time I graduated, I had more confidence and made many friends. As for the academics, I was fortunate to have attentive professors and awesome classmates that were not only sincere but fun too! It is unfortunate to read many negative comments. MSU was my home for many years and has a special place in my heart.
Starting Job: Microbiologist Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B-

Montclair is different than a SUNY school or

Feb 13 2014Nutrition
Montclair is different than a SUNY school or other state schools where the social life revolves around the campus. You do not walk off campus and over to a friends house that lives off campus. What I mean is the town of Montclair does not revolve around Msu students and cater to them like in other college towns. Successful 40 something's with 3 kids are living in those houses near the school not ur friends who are in a band or whatever. I used to frequent house parties or walk to downtown bars at my old SUNY school and have not done that once at Msu. Unless u can afford to go out to NYC every weekend and spend 50 bucks for club cover and 12 bucks a Drink there's not really that great of a Night life. As far as academics go my program is ok. Some of the younger professors especially the adjuncts are really nice but some of the older ones are real jerks. Advisors in my program are horrible(nutrition) I'm Not sure if this is the same for others. The parking situation is also very bad. They set it up so that they can sell more parking passes and give out more parking tickets so that can make the most money possible not so that parking is as convenient as possible. They sell more parking passes than they have parking spaces on purpose so they can accomplish this extra income. This school is ok if ur a New Jersey resident and you live at home with mom and dad and want a decent degree from a nearby school you can commute to but if ur looking for the "college experience" it's not for you. It's also expensive if ur outOf state. If ur from NY ur better off with even the lesser SUNYs
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018