StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Apr 03 2006Business - Management and Administration

I came here looking for a college experience close to home. It was awful. I wouldv'e been better off not going to college at all.

Montclair State University is not that great, but

May 02 2006History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Montclair State University is not that great, but it's also what you make of it. To me, it's like just another high school. Some students are total idiots while others are seriously dedicated to their vocation. Getting in is fairly easy. The classes, however, are pretty competitive outside your introduction freshman courses.

I need to warn you though, there is an ostensible percentage of frat students. They do nothing but party, mess around, and drop out. Because the campus is pretty small, you'll notice them a lot more. MSU pretty much ignores it... All in all, it's decent. It's not perfect, but it makes a decent entreport for whatever profession you wish to seek in the future. It's a good 2nd chance for students who didn't do so hot in high school.

I've been at Montclair State for over 2

Nov 14 2005Unknown
I've been at Montclair State for over 2 years; I am a junior right now. I commute from my home, which is 15 minutes away because I don't like the dorm life. Here is how I grade MSU, with the PROS and CONS.

PROS- 1) MSU is located in a nice setting, in the affluent suburb of Upper Montclair. The college also has a nice view of the New York skyline.

2)Most of the students I met during my time here have been approachable for the most part. 80% of the teachers I had are also approachable.

3)95% of my classes have had only 20-35 students in them. This makes the class better because the teacher will know who you are and the learning environment is better.

CONS- 1) The campus is falling apart and it is not taken care of. In front of the student center, the campus looks quite old and chenzy. The winter makes it look worse because there are no leaves on the trees.

2) Parking is a big problem at MSU. While the college wants more students, they are actually taking away parking spaces by building new buildings! Its ridiculous. When I came here as a freshman in 2003, parking was bad, but now its a lot worse.

3)The course work is not very challenging. Now I don't put a lot of effort into the work, but my GPA is still a 3.5.

4)Professors in other colleges are liberal, but a majority of MSU professors (one's I had) are very liberal. And they express their political views to the whole class, while bashing the current government. They aren't supposed to do this; they are supposed to be fair to each party or just don't talk about politics (unless it is a politics class).

5)Many of the buildings on campus, such as Mallory Hall, Finely, Partridge, and the music and acting buildings, are really in horrible shape and an eye soar to the campus. Instead of building new buildings over parking lots, renovate the deterorating buildings.

Overall, my experience at MSU has been just average, even though I listed more CONS. When I go to graduate school, MSU will not be my choice. I'll go to a better college which is more challenging.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2007