StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Lots of mandatory fees for services not neededBrightOther
Lots of mandatory fees for services not needed and/or badly run. For example, shutttle service from parking lots (BTW, parking permits are extra on top of the mandatory shuttle fee) or the SGA fee that does seems to do nothing more than organizing parties and give out free condoms.

Also, most students are not the brightest so the level of many classes is really low.
Many admin employees rude and not too helpful. In my opinion some of them belong in Motor Vehicle, not an educational institution. On a lighter note, campus is full of hand-made advertisement/graffiti for sororities and fraternities. Makes campus look really ugly.

more→Mar 23 2007
2nd Year Female -- Class 2008
Surrounding City: A, Campus Maintenance: F
The Spanish program was amazing.Quite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
The Spanish program was amazing. I studied with incredible teachers and had the chance to learn from guest speakers which included Isabel Allende, Roberto Sosa and many others. The teachers are really as into their field as is humanly possible and I challenge anyone who can claim that their graduate school would be better. In fact, I did go onto a Ph.d program and it was not as interesting and well run as MSU. MSU is an amazing school which I highly recommend. You get learning, great value and nice surroundings near home!
more→Jan 28 2007
Starting Job: business; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
I feel that Montclair State University is aQuite BrightPhilosophy
I feel that Montclair State University is a gem of a school with dedicated teachers and bright students. Don't focus on students who are not mature enough for college - that's their journey. There are pleanty of great people at the college and they are as bright as anywhere. People tend to put what is known and local down, but this is silly - MSU has tremendous and infinate resources when you open your eyes and look for them. It's a very, very bad idea to work outside of school and commute because you must make time as a commuter for a campus life - get a campus job, make friends and stretch out of your comfort zone. Hang out in the student center, join the newspaper or an activity in your department. Volunteer. If you do, you will find the teachers very smart and helpful. If you run to class and run out to a job in your local CVS, you will never give yourself a chance to make a life or experience the community. If you live on campus, hang out with people who think like you and maybe, just maybe stop pre judging those who don't. I found brilliant people at MSU and later, when I met people from more famous schools, I was surprised that they were NOT brighter or more talented than those I found at MSU. It took me some time to fully appreciate just how much I learned there and now, as an adult and mom myself, I decided to send my daughter to the college which is a giant vote from our family. My husband also attended MSU so you see, I even found love at my Alma Mater! Good luck and find the school that feels right for you and seek out the most positive people you can in the environment you find yourself in.
more→Jan 28 2007