StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Jan 28 2007Language - French/Spanish/etc.
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The Spanish program was amazing. I studied with incredible teachers and had the chance to learn from guest speakers which included Isabel Allende, Roberto Sosa and many others. The teachers are really as into their field as is humanly possible and I challenge anyone who can claim that their graduate school would be better. In fact, I did go onto a Ph.d program and it was not as interesting and well run as MSU. MSU is an amazing school which I highly recommend. You get learning, great value and nice surroundings near home!
Starting Job: business Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
Jan 28 2007Philosophy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I feel that Montclair State University is a gem of a school with dedicated teachers and bright students. Don't focus on students who are not mature enough for college - that's their journey. There are pleanty of great people at the college and they are as bright as anywhere. People tend to put what is known and local down, but this is silly - MSU has tremendous and infinate resources when you open your eyes and look for them. It's a very, very bad idea to work outside of school and commute because you must make time as a commuter for a campus life - get a campus job, make friends and stretch out of your comfort zone. Hang out in the student center, join the newspaper or an activity in your department. Volunteer. If you do, you will find the teachers very smart and helpful. If you run to class and run out to a job in your local CVS, you will never give yourself a chance to make a life or experience the community. If you live on campus, hang out with people who think like you and maybe, just maybe stop pre judging those who don't. I found brilliant people at MSU and later, when I met people from more famous schools, I was surprised that they were NOT brighter or more talented than those I found at MSU. It took me some time to fully appreciate just how much I learned there and now, as an adult and mom myself, I decided to send my daughter to the college which is a giant vote from our family. My husband also attended MSU so you see, I even found love at my Alma Mater! Good luck and find the school that feels right for you and seek out the most positive people you can in the environment you find yourself in.
Starting Job: Sales Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+
Jan 17 2007History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Well, I believe this is a great school with some minor problems, like poor layout of walkways, lighting of pathways at night. I appreciate that the administration works hard to improve the campus life, although it's a gradual process. I think they are trying their best to make the school aestetically pleasing, with the new building aditions. The professors are down-to-earth, understanding of our busy lives, but also offer a challenge. I'm sure there are more difficult schools, but there is enough challenge for students willing to work hard. The changes I would make is that I believe that the yard in front of the Student Union is a total eyesore. The sidewalks are ragged and uninteresting. Looks are important in atracting students, and I believe that that area needs improvement. They should try to work on College Hall as well. This should be their next project, even though it's nothing to do with the academics. I also wish that the commuter lounge was more comfortable and modern for those who put in 12 hour days on campus. Personally, I don't think that the dorm life is that great, but I don't live on campus to know for sure. There are nice dorms. The counselors are fantastic. At my other college, it took two weeks to get an appointment with a counselor. These counselors get back to you usually the same day.
4th Year Female -- Class 2007