StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Oct 21 2013Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I went to Montclair for 3 years after transferring from Brookdale. It's a bitter/sweet school the campus and most of the teaching staff are great in many majors. However, the downfall here is the administration. President Susan Cole is hell bent on eliminating all aspects of social life that do not have to do with clubs on campus. She is on the verge of eliminating Greek Life who have a current graduation rate of around 85% and hold many of the social events on campus. She has taken from the sports teams to gain corporate sponsors and a PSENG power center. The campus is beautiful and the dorms are wonderful, although very strict and the food suffers because of it. Also, many of the academic building are falling apart due to lack of care. Montclair likes to build not fix!!!! Overall, the teaching staff and networking are great, and I loved my time there, but with the current administration many of the things that made the school great are disappearing, including school spirit. My fear is it will soon fall of many incoming freshman's list of top schools.
Starting Job: Director Preparedness: B Reputation: D
Sep 22 2013Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
seriously, don't come to montclair. I've been here for a year and a half and have learned nothing. I'm a fashion major and I'm currently taking my first fashion class, which is online. How can I benefit from an online fashion class? that's certainly not what I came to school for. classes here are a joke and you will learn nothing. the policies inside the residential halls are complete bullshit, you can lose housing if you were in a room with empty bottles of alcohol, ask them to breathalyze you, doesn't matter. you were in the room and you should be aware of what's going on around you. yeah okay right. montclairs staff only wants your money. they don't want to see you succeed or help your life in any way. don't come here. my parents forced me to because it was cheap, but I'd benefit more from a community college. it's the same education, just thousands more.
Aug 22 2013Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Montclair is an OK school. Good professors are hard to come by and from my experience the administrative staff in the business school don't care about you. I've had issues with transfer credits and tried to appeal decisions made by the marketing chair, but seeing the dean of the business school is like trying to see the wizard of oz. There is a sense of arrogance with the chairs I met. I'm an adult commuter and like you might of heard parking is one of the biggest problems on campus. I know this is a state university and I don't expect things to be handed to me on a silver platter, but all Montclair cares about is taking your money. Don't expect to network too much, because 90% of the professors and all of the administration don't care about your professional goals. I met many students who ended up working for Montclair in the administrative buildings who, guess what...are completely rude. I now understand these students couldn't even make it in the real world because they got a Montclair education and are in the process of filling the positions of the rude administration now. The only reason I stay at this school is because the grants I receive allow me to get a free education there. I have one year left and wish I put myself in debt at a private school.