StudentsReview ™ :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Montclair state is a good school

Mar 03 2013Economics
Montclair state is a good school.
Most of the complaints seem to be about the social life. I grew up locally and worked about 30 hours a week during college. Lived with friends in a house in Clifton. So I cant really say much on the subject. Academically, the school was very good. Most of the professors were top notch. And it definitely has a good "brand" with prospective employers, at least in NJ. Its a name they know.
Starting Job: Underwriter Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A

Montclair is a good college for someone who

Feb 19 2013Undecided
Montclair is a good college for someone who likes to stay in their room and only socialize with their roommate and their teachers. It's a commuter college and everybody goes home on the weekends. The first couple of weeks are okay because the baseball or football houses have parties, but you need to get a taxi to get to all the parties where kegs are tapped at 11. There is absolutley nothing to do here on the weekends or at night. It is easy to get in but that is the downfall because the campus is just too crowded. The Heights are beautiful, don't get me wrong but it does not feel like a "college setting". We all come into college thinking we'll have plenty of friends, but if you choose to go to MSU, it will be so hard to make them. I don't think this is just me because I've read other reviews and they say the same as me. I've heard commuting is impossible, and the construction on campus is terrible. It just sucks that I can't get my freshman year back so if you have any other colleges you're looking into, forget this one, unless you don't want the real experience of college. You'll be wasting 27,000 dollars. CLearly I am transferring. Good luck.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Scholastic Success: B, Education Quality: F

Everyday I really wonder why I keep coming

Feb 11 2013Psychology
Everyday I really wonder why I keep coming back to this school. As far as housing, I lived in the Heights last year and it was nothing but a scam. Young, arrogant kids destroying things all around the brand new buildings cause everyone in the building to be charged for it. I got locked out of my room a couple of times (accidentally) and was charged more than $20 bucks each time to get me back in. When I did live on campus there was nothing to do so I always went back home anyway. Unless you join a fraternity or sorority, there are no parties like other state schools have that everyone can attend unless you wanna go out to the bars the promoters (very heavily) advertise. Also speaking from experience, it is always the same crowds of people. I commute now and that is also disastrous. For being a "commuter friendly school", parking is a serious problem on the campus. One of the main parking decks for commuters is a hot mess in the morning and at night when everyone goes home. No one is watching it or cares or pay attention to all the people driving like maniacs inside fighting for a couple parking spots. There is additional parking that is so far away from the main campus you are almost on the highway to head home. I would not recommend this school if you want the "real" college experience. People here are just not that friendly and only care about themselves. You rarely see groups of people hanging out around campus unless they are in a fraternity or sorority.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014