StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

Montclair is one of the more diversified Universities

Aug 05 2008Communications
Montclair is one of the more diversified Universities in the tristate area. The student body are aware of what goes on around them. Students/faculty are bright streetwise individuals w/a lot to offer one another. As does the University with its endless study courses. The campus is nice looking and easy to get around, although parking can be tight as there are quite a number of commuters. Work is challenging but not over the top ridiculous. The university itself is situated in one of the nicer/convenient areas in Jersey. I am satisfied that I chose to go here, as I had plenty of other options.
1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Individual Value: A+, Campus Aesthetics: A-

I graduated from High School in 1998 and

Aug 15 2001History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I graduated from High School in 1998 and attended this school believing I would get an education at a good price. Unfortunately, I find myself breezing through on what I learned in High School. I hold a very high GPA in my major (History) but do not attend class regularly, nor do I do the readings for the classes. I should not be able to do this. I feel I am completely unchallenged in everything at this school. I am an above average student, but I am certainly not a genius. This school also lacks a good number and variety of classes to take. I find myself taking classes to fill a requirement because there is nothing else. As a result, I will have to stay for an extra year to achieve my degree and my teacher's certificate.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2003
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F

Montclair State University students can be very harsh

Dec 20 2013Education
Montclair State University students can be very harsh on their school. You are getting a great education, especially if you're going for teaching. The most important thing to remember is that this school is what you make of it. You can go out every weekend, I do, but you need to make friends. There is a big club scene but it's not the only option. There are definitely a lot of things academically and recreationally to be involved in. The biggest issue is that a lot of the students are unmotivated and fall behind. There isn't much organization in the advising department. You need to go straight to the head of your major if you don't have a good advisor. If you are motivated and willing to advocate for yourself you can have a great experience at Montclair State University.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015