StudentsReview ™ :: Montclair State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey -- Wayne, NJ

Montclair State University

I've been to New York once for vacation!

Apr 06 2014Video/Media
I've been to New York once for vacation! At night when you walk on the seterts, it will smell like trash because that's when people toss out their garbage . And shops there close too early! I think they close around 7PM!! And you're going to have to know your way around NY and if you look like a tourist or a noobie, taxi cab drivers will take advantage of you and rip you off by taking you to your destination THE LONG ROUTE. And be sure to visit Times Square at night because it is AMAZING! And be careful when walking into a huge crowd because you might get pickpocketed. And traffic is CRAZY. When the cross light goes on you better cross the street FAST cause the cabbies will honk the SH%T out of you or might even run you over!! Was this answer helpful?
Starting Job: xf5TyOOx7 Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Although there are some positives to Montclair it

May 20 2013Education
Although there are some positives to Montclair it is mostly negative. Parking is ridiculous. I commute to school two days a week and on one of the two days I commute I have to park in Red Hawk because Car Parc is full to the brim. I go to class for two and a half hours and have to pay six dollars for parking at Red Hawk, while I all ready paid my commuter parking fee for Car Parc, and will literally have to run to Red Hawk to get my car, move it to Car Parc and then run up that god forsaken hill to get to my next class. Whoever decided to build the student parking deck on the bottom of a hill is obviously a genius. The campus is constantly under construction so its always an eye sore. Plus it creates problems when walking to class because you're constantly having to go around construction. Some of the buildings are really nice on campus while others are falling apart.

Most of the faculty is unhelpful. When I fist came to orientation this woman was assisting me with creating my schedule and I told her I would 110 % not be able to commute to class everyday because I live almost an hour away and work full time so I wanted to take as many classes in a day as possible. I guess she just didn't care and she made this screwed up schedule for me where I had class monday - friday. Because I was a freshman they wouldn't allow me to change my schedule myself and I had to go to campus just to change my schedule. So far though most of my teachers have been pretty cool except for a select few here and there.

Many of the students there are rude and unsociable. I've talked to some on campus students and they absolutely hate it because theres nothing to do. I take a few education classes and we had this debate with students with learning disabilities being put in slower classes and a decent amount of students in my class said they were in special ed when they were younger. I almost died on the spot. You were in special ed yet you want to become a teacher? I always head pretty good things about Montclair but they need to really clean up the place and stop letting in every student that applies. They reward themselves for being one of the best colleges offering teaching certificates yet half their students are basically retarded.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Individual Value: F

I just completed my 1 and only semester

Dec 30 2012Undecided
I just completed my 1 and only semester at Montclair and im here writing my complete honest review. At the beginning of the Semester I hated Montclair more than anything because I had never been away from home and was extremely homesick. At the end I didnt have the same hatred but the school not got much better. The positives are that the dorms in The Heights are really nice and you may never find nicer dorms at any other college. The school has various different places to eat on campus but the only place that comes with your meal plan is Sams Place. This is awful!! they serve the same food every single day and during weeks 2-13 the food is terrible and they simply dont care. Convicts also serve the food which is interesting. Montclair has recently opened up a 'Guy Fieri' place on campus which you will get sick of after the 5th time eating it. Another positive is that the schoolwork was very manageable and the professors are easy to reach. If you want a school were you only study and do schoolwork nothing else, then Montclair is perfect for you. A train runs through the campus but closes on weekends which I never understood. The final positive is that the people who you see most only monday- thursday are friendly and openminded. Now the bad in the School. There is no social life on weekends!! Thursday nights are so popular at Montclair because EVERYBODY goes home on the Weekend and fridays and saturdays dont exist at Montclair. The school consists of mostly commuters and you never meet most of the people ever at the school. Out of the 17,000 at the school I would estimate that 5,000-6,000 dorm and the rest commute. Being from out of state little did I know that Montclair is a well known commuter school and Social Life is awful!! I have never spent as many weekends doing schoolwork or being bored. Most of the friends I made either commuted or went home every weekend. This school is a ghost town on weekends!!!! Lastly, if you are somebody who is looking to have fun and get the real college experience, then do not go here!! people at this school think that living at school during the week and going home on weekends is getting the college experience. But this is not you are wasting money to live somewhere 4 days a week. If you are quiet and are "too yourself" this school is perfect. The school is very nice, although they do construction 24/7and professors are good but that is it! It never got any better and I couldnt be any happier that I am done at Montclair. Know who you are as a person and I hope this will help people get the idea of the school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016