StudentsReview :: Montclair State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 6
Males 2
Avg years at University 2.4
Research Quality C (4.4)
Research Availability C- (3.8)
Research Funding D- (1.8)
Graduate Politics C (4.9)
Errand Runners D- (1.7)
Degree Completion D (2.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.2)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.6)
Competitiveness C+ (5.5)
Education Quality B- (6.2)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.2)
Useful Research C+ (5.4)
"Individual" treatment C- (4.0)
Friendliness C (5.0)
Safety B+ (7.9)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.6)
Campus Maintenance C (4.8)
University Resource/spending B- (6.5)
Extracurriculars D+ (3.3)
Success-Understanding C- (3.6)
Surrounding City B- (5.9)
Social Life/Environment D+ (2.9)
Errand RunnersD-
I/O Psychology degrees are still PSYCHOLOGY degrees, soApr 15 2015Psychology
I/O Psychology degrees are still PSYCHOLOGY degrees, so expect a lot of theory and development in the courses. A lot of people get into the program thinking it's an MBA with a twist of psychology, but it's definitely not. If you want concrete tools, skills, and how-to's for companies, go for an MBA.

This program involves more critical thinking--sometimes they don't exactly how to solve an organizational problem, but they rigorously develop your thinking and background knowledge to come up with it on your own. It can be frustrating, but that's what you're signing up for.

Their I/O program has way more pros than cons:

-Pretty much ALL the professors are friendly, responsive, helpful, and treat you like an adult.
-The classes are great, you learn a lot, and they don't make you take things that aren't relevant.
-Night classes are great options too.
-It's not expensive at all if you're an in-state student (I am)
-Great tech resources and availability
-Beautiful campus
-Wish they'd offer more classes in the summer.
-More evening events for graduate students/socials/etc
-Professors have a habit of being too lax when writing emails, i.e. no capitalization, poor spelling, etc. They're professors and should lead by example.

The billing practices of MSU are quite criminalMay 02 2014Computer Science
The billing practices of MSU are quite criminal... I attended a graduate school class three years ago and they just now decided to have the state of NJ garnish my tax returns... no bill, no notice, and their web site maintains they do not need to, as if they are above sending you an invoice.

They just send you to collections and tell you to look at your campus email, which I have no access to as my account was terminated six months after I stopped attending my class.

I would never go back to this sorry excuse for higher education again. Beware this business.

Do not ever join the pHd program earthJul 29 2010Geography and Geosciences
Do not ever join the pHd program earth and environmental science department at Montclair. The current director of the program is more interested in office politics than quality research work. While his own students enjoy lot of perks including coming to office late, doing part-time business (amway) in the office space, flexible work, everyone else in the department has to work their a** off to be noticed and appreciated by the director. His own students can secure F and still stay in the department, while others are kicked out of the GA program if they are not conforming to his standard of "citizenship" and "gradation".

He is not interested to know what you want to do with your research. He will only take you or keep you if your work is in his line of work, and if he can make a bonded labor out of you. Apparently he was kicked out of San Antonio and had a lawsuit filed. However, some boneheads in Montclair decided to hire him. He takes complete advantage of his position to make decisions independently and tries to always take advantage of people in the wrong way. I am glad I passed out well ahead of time. Good luck to the current students!! In near future he is going to convert this into department of environmental chemistry. I'll advise everyone to stay away.

I wasted money and three years of myFeb 07 2007PreLaw and Legal
I wasted money and three years of my time in a graduate program at this school. Based on my experience and those that I have witnessed of other students of color in this advice is to..STAY AWAY!!!! They might let you in..but they won't let you out. Not without failing you at least once. Remember you have no advocates here, and the powers that be believe that they are doing you a favor by "allowing" you to retest or resubmit work that should have been accepted initally.It's the same old story.You've been warned.
The graduate Counseling program was a jokeOct 27 2003Other
The graduate Counseling program was a joke. A waste of money. Too bad I need the M.A. for my professional career. It did not add anything to my professional abilities I already had. Seems to be a program for the misinformed, or rejects from more rigorous schools. I only found two helpful faculty members there during my program. Taught mostly by disinterested adjuncts just seeking a paycheck. Adjuncts have NO office hours.

Department never returns phone calls. Not a reality based program. STAY AWAY.

Research Topic(s): none available
I would not recommend the Counseling program toOct 27 2003Other
I would not recommend the Counseling program to anyone. They don't even offer the appropriate courses for their Family Counseling major, yet, they still offer that concentration. I am a Family Counseling Major who had to substitute courses so that I could graduate. Faculty advising is useless. Phone calls to the counseling department rarely get returned. Communication is very poor. Class size is too large for experiential and interactive courses. Some of the individual faculty are terrific and helpful and others are not. Fellow students are mostly approachable but not overly friendly. Also, administrative issues don't get handled unless you're constantly "on their case." And hopefully, you will get an assistant who speaks English clearly and fluently and who is competent to handle your questions. Overall I am very disappointed with my experience at MSU.
Compare MSUSave MSU