StudentsReview :: Monmouth University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ
American University -- Washington, DC

Monmouth University

I'm just going to get right to itBrightNursing
I'm just going to get right to it and say...DO NOT COME HERE!!!!!!!! Seriously, really consider why you're choosing this school before you come here. For the amount of money this school makes you pay, it's so not worth it. I went to BCC for two years and wasn't sure what I wanted to do after that so I just went to Monmouth because I heard good things about it and I thought I wanted a small school atmosphere. Worst decison I ever made. They're so stingy about giving money to transfer students, that should've been my first red flag right there. i transferred in with a 4.0 gpa from BCC and they gave me $6,000 out of the $34,000 I needed for my tuition...gee thanks. The best part about that is that was how much it cost for me to COMMUTE, I wasn't even living on campus and I still had to take out a loan for over $40,000. Where did that 40,000 go to? I guess I'll never know. Lesson learned private education is not worth that kind of money at all. Unless you get a full ride to come here I reccomend a state school, especially for the crap education and absolute zero social life you receive here. Next, the school is way too small, i thought I would enjoy it but it's kind of pathetic honestly. The student center and library get old real quick and those are really the only places you can go to hang out and study. The campus is nice I guess but like I said before you get sick of it so easily, I don't know how people don't have cars who live on campus here, because there are literally three options for dining on campus and then there is no college town so you have to drive 10-15 minutes away for food places. You're by the beach but the reality is the school isn't on the beach like it acts like it is on their website, so you're not going to see the beach often, if at all. Next, the students are very full of themselves. It's that Staten island/guido bitchy vibe from the guys and girls who don't seem like they're very smart or care about school, they're just here just because...BTW this school has a 77% acceptance rate so that's another red flag right there. I've made about three friends here and they are all transferring as well. It's very cliquey, no one seems interested in making friends with new people and I've met freshman who live on campus and still said the same thing. Greek life is a joke, it's not like Rutgers where all the frat and soroity houses are together and it's one big party, parties are very discrete and close down by midnight because the school is in a residential area. I end up just chilling with my friends from home. Sports events are a huge joke too, no one goes to the games and there's never any fun or interesting events that happen like concerts ...again still trying to figure out where my 40,000 is going to....Onto the academic department...science department is absolutely terrible. The professors don't seem to understand how to teach science courses so students can succeed, I know science is a challenging subject, but the course at Monmouth including lab were not very structured. Anatomy lab is just thrown together, they'll hand you a list of structures you have to memorize without telling you where anything is or giving you a lab manual, the instuctor just plays on his phone while you waste half the time trying to figure out where everything is...smh it's bad. My science classes at BCC were much more organized and structured than at Monmouth, so that should tell you something. Monmouth also has a very small selection of undergrad programs to begin with and I feel like the Health Studies major is just a bunch of random classes thrown togethe. So basically no matter what degree you get at Monmouth you'll have to go on..there is no physical therapy program or pre-med or anything like that (liberal arts school I guess). Well lesson learned if you don't know what you want to do or where you want to go just stay at community college until you figure it out, but when you do transfer to state school. For what I payed at Monmouth for one year, I could have gone to a state school in florida or California just to give you an idea at what a waste it was. I should've stayed at BCC instead of wasting a year and money but yes I am transferring out to USF even though I have to repeat my junior, for me I personally did not want to stay there any longer and waste any more money getting a useless degree I would have to go one for anyways. I'm transferring into a nursing program that still costs less than a year at monmouth and I'm going to be in Florida. If you have to stay in Jersey, go to Rutgers. Otheriwse go out of state
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D
I have had multiple problems with ResLife, AdvisorsBrightEducation
I have had multiple problems with ResLife, Advisors and teachers here. ResLife is extremely rude and unhelpful and will completely disregard and ignore your complaints. My advisor was continuously late for meetings with me and was not helpful at all. My RA was very rude and acted as if she was in high school. This school reminds me of a boarding school and is great for students who are playing sports. Most students are arrogant and stuck up. Everyone is rich, has a BMW and no manners. They are awful at pairing you up with roommates if you decide to choose random. I will be transferring to Rutgers next year. I actually feel as though I became dumber here and hope to get a quality education at Rutgers. If I could go back I would most definitely decide to attend a different school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
I will say time and again that MonmouthNot so bright
I will say time and again that Monmouth is what you make it. Firstly, the professors are great. All of them are so helpful, and friendly. They sorta remind me of high school teachers, in the sense that they do e-mail to ask about missing homework. The try to work with you when it comes to grades,you can hang out with then. If you don't agree with something in class, you can basically shout "That's stupid." and a professor will say "Tell me why you think that"They want to help you be better here. As far as campus life and involvement, you have to join and club or go Greek. No one is "unfriendly". But you need your group of friends, so one is going to break down your door be be your friend. And you need to have a shared experience to bond here.If you have a club, or if your in Greek life. Your weekends will be full. There are great parties, and lots of interesting stuff to do . I wouldn't change it for the world.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018