StudentsReview :: Monmouth University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ
American University -- Washington, DC

Monmouth University

The professors are very sweet and helpful, butQuite BrightSociology
The professors are very sweet and helpful, but the academics are so easy that it's a joke. I am part of the honors school and even the honors classes are ridiculously easy. I was able to maintain a close to perfect GPA without studying very hard. Don't come here if you're looking for any type of academic growth. There's really only a handful of ambitious students at this school. Most of the students here like the easy academics and get frustrated at any sign of a challenge in the classroom. A lot are very ignorant, snobby, and rich. Non-black kids love saying the n-word. There's barely any diversity and most of the people of color that do attend are here for the athletics. There's nothing to do on the weekends and the campus looks like a ghost town because so many people go home every weekend. The way the schedule is set up also makes it very hard to get involved in different club activities. You really can't be part of more than one club because there's only one time slot per week for club meetings and all the clubs schedule their meetings at the same exact time. I tried to go to meetings every other week for two clubs but I found that I couldn't get involved to the degree that I would have hoped for so I had to pick just one. Barely anyone attends club meetings. As a premed student, I wasn't able to research simply because I didn't have connections to any science professors who were conducting research. I was pretty disappointed because the school makes it seem as if everyone and anyone that wants to research can dive right in as soon as they're on campus. You would think that at a school that has terrible academics and students that really only care about passing rather than doing well that the parties would be fun, right? Wrong. I haven't been to a single party that was actually fun. I regret ever getting out of my bed to go stand in a sweaty, crowded frat house that runs out of alcohol within the first two hours. Nobody even interacts out of their own groups at parties so you rarely even get to meet anyone new. I stopped going out a long time ago. I live in a suite-style dorm and it is absolutely terrible. I'm closed off from interacting with anybody on my floor and literally don't know anyone that lives on my floor. The toilet is always getting clogged and smells disgusting. My tuition is $35 grand a year and it is absolutely not worth this garbage. I guess this place is heaven for students that are rich, white, and are only going to school for the degree rather than self-growth. If you want any type of mental, social, or academic growth, don't come here. I'm definitely transferring as soon as I can.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Innovation: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
The Residential Life atBrightUndecided
The Residential Life at Monmouth is TERRIBLE. They could care less about your concerns. They are awful at pairing up roommates and the RA's go behind your back and are unapproachable. Would never dorm here again after my first year.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Individual Value: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C-
I'm just going to get right to itBrightNursing
I'm just going to get right to it and say...DO NOT COME HERE!!!!!!!! Seriously, really consider why you're choosing this school before you come here. For the amount of money this school makes you pay, it's so not worth it. I went to BCC for two years and wasn't sure what I wanted to do after that so I just went to Monmouth because I heard good things about it and I thought I wanted a small school atmosphere. Worst decison I ever made. They're so stingy about giving money to transfer students, that should've been my first red flag right there. i transferred in with a 4.0 gpa from BCC and they gave me $6,000 out of the $34,000 I needed for my tuition...gee thanks. The best part about that is that was how much it cost for me to COMMUTE, I wasn't even living on campus and I still had to take out a loan for over $40,000. Where did that 40,000 go to? I guess I'll never know. Lesson learned private education is not worth that kind of money at all. Unless you get a full ride to come here I reccomend a state school, especially for the crap education and absolute zero social life you receive here. Next, the school is way too small, i thought I would enjoy it but it's kind of pathetic honestly. The student center and library get old real quick and those are really the only places you can go to hang out and study. The campus is nice I guess but like I said before you get sick of it so easily, I don't know how people don't have cars who live on campus here, because there are literally three options for dining on campus and then there is no college town so you have to drive 10-15 minutes away for food places. You're by the beach but the reality is the school isn't on the beach like it acts like it is on their website, so you're not going to see the beach often, if at all. Next, the students are very full of themselves. It's that Staten island/guido bitchy vibe from the guys and girls who don't seem like they're very smart or care about school, they're just here just because...BTW this school has a 77% acceptance rate so that's another red flag right there. I've made about three friends here and they are all transferring as well. It's very cliquey, no one seems interested in making friends with new people and I've met freshman who live on campus and still said the same thing. Greek life is a joke, it's not like Rutgers where all the frat and soroity houses are together and it's one big party, parties are very discrete and close down by midnight because the school is in a residential area. I end up just chilling with my friends from home. Sports events are a huge joke too, no one goes to the games and there's never any fun or interesting events that happen like concerts ...again still trying to figure out where my 40,000 is going to....Onto the academic department...science department is absolutely terrible. The professors don't seem to understand how to teach science courses so students can succeed, I know science is a challenging subject, but the course at Monmouth including lab were not very structured. Anatomy lab is just thrown together, they'll hand you a list of structures you have to memorize without telling you where anything is or giving you a lab manual, the instuctor just plays on his phone while you waste half the time trying to figure out where everything is...smh it's bad. My science classes at BCC were much more organized and structured than at Monmouth, so that should tell you something. Monmouth also has a very small selection of undergrad programs to begin with and I feel like the Health Studies major is just a bunch of random classes thrown togethe. So basically no matter what degree you get at Monmouth you'll have to go on..there is no physical therapy program or pre-med or anything like that (liberal arts school I guess). Well lesson learned if you don't know what you want to do or where you want to go just stay at community college until you figure it out, but when you do transfer to state school. For what I payed at Monmouth for one year, I could have gone to a state school in florida or California just to give you an idea at what a waste it was. I should've stayed at BCC instead of wasting a year and money but yes I am transferring out to USF even though I have to repeat my junior, for me I personally did not want to stay there any longer and waste any more money getting a useless degree I would have to go one for anyways. I'm transferring into a nursing program that still costs less than a year at monmouth and I'm going to be in Florida. If you have to stay in Jersey, go to Rutgers. Otheriwse go out of state
1st Year Female -- Class 2016