StudentsReview :: The Ramapo College of New Jersey - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Montclair State University -- Upper Montclair, NJ
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, The -- Pomona, NJ

The Ramapo College of New Jersey

Ramapo never helped me get a job

Oct 03 2014Communications
Ramapo never helped me get a job. Their internship program is a joke with no direction, as well as their communications program when I was there. Yes, I can think critically, and I am well-versed in theory, but employers don't care about that. In media, they want hard skills. And Ramapo has no network to tap like a brand name school has. Ramapo's legacy left to me is in the form of student loans to pay, and that it has made me extremely cynical about the value of a higher education/the institution of it and of life in general.

As I stated, if you want to go into media, you need technical skills. And you need a reel (a portfolio) showing off those skills. I unfortunately ran out of resources by the time I realized this deficiency. Technical skills don't mean squat if you don't have a network though. Networking is the most important thing for any career. If you doubt this, look around you. You've probably met or know about plenty of incompetent people that work jobs they shouldn't be, and others that are a success not because they're talented or skilled, but because they were in the right place at the right time or their work was seen by the right people.

I should've never picked Ramapo. However, I did make a friend for life, so they luck out that I can't hold everything against them. I wish I had known how how to properly research a school, like I do now. While this site existed back then, it was in its infancy. Don't be impressed by college tours. I am only aware of the powers of manipulation and coercion now, partly due to my education, ironically. Talk to people studying your field you want learn at the school you want to go to. That is the only way you will get an idea of if the school is a good fit for you, and I would say that's only from an academic standpoint. If you need to gauge a school's social life, you will have to arrange to stay there for a weekend with a student. Hope you have good connections. Buyer beware!And they still ask me for "donations."

Starting Job: Data Manager Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Ramapo never helped me get a job

Oct 03 2014Communications

As I stated, if you want to go into media, you need technical skills. And you need a reel (a portfolio) showing off those skills. I unfortunately ran out of resources by the time I realized this deficiency. Do an advanced project and two internships: one at a big company for the networking opportunities and one at a small company for (hopefully) hands-on experience. Technical skills don't mean squat if you don't have a network though. Networking is the most important thing for any career. If you doubt this, look around you. You've probably met or know about plenty of incompetent people that work jobs they shouldn't be, and others that are a success not because they're talented or skilled, but because they were in the right place at the right time or their work was seen by the right people.

Starting Job: Data Manager Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Ramapo is one of the cheapest schools I

Feb 06 2014Psychology
Ramapo is one of the cheapest schools I have ever heard of. Not only is out college place in the Ramapo mountains, the amount of harsh weather we get each winter multiplies by year. Ramapo does not care about their students safety and health whatsoever. They do not plow or salt the campus correctly after any snow or ice storm. My friend has shattered her ankle and had to get surgery as a result of this. In addition, multiple people have fallen and gotten hurt because not only do they not provide a safe environment for us, they still expect us to go to classes. They will do anything to save money.

In addition, 90% of professors at this college think that they teach at some Ivy League school while they are teaching a 101 at a state school that barely any one knows about. There are about 50% of the professors at this institute that are way too old to be teaching and have no idea what they are doing or saying. Many forget they even assigned work. I had a teacher that peed in her pants the first day of school because she was so old. Many professors for important and hard classes speak so little english that you cannot understand a word they try to say to you. Making learning actually impossible.

Aside from the great group of best friends I have made here, this school is undoubtedly a typical suitecase school. Every single Friday until Sunday night into Monday morning the school does a great disappearing act. There is not a soul around the entire weekend if you dare to stay. 85% of students who go to this school are from Bergen county and/or commute to school to begin with. There's never anyone here and never anything going on that students are actually interested in.

Parking at this school is one of a kind. Not only are there not enough available spots in your own area to park, some areas worse than others, but you get ticketed if your parked in any other area in this school. We pay $250 a semester to even get a permit to park, and you only get the luxury of parking if there is a spot near you.

Dining services at this school are a joke. They do not serve real food, both dining halls services sell food that is barely edible and their hours of operation are most difficult to deal with. As a freshman I lost a total of 17 pounds because I was not eating because of how disgusting the food was and the fact that it was making me sick.

The schools public safety is another story in itself. They are lazy and deal with no issue. They did nothing about domestic violence happening on our campus. They barely picked my friend up from when she shattered her ankle. They do nothing when your stuck on campus. They don't help if your keys are locked in your running car. All they are good for is pretending

They are cops and giving out parking tickets. If your Imn trouble on campus you know better than to call them, just call directly mahwah pd directly .

Also, the cleaning services, amongst many other services that the college hires must be very cheap because they do a half ass job. They are supposed to clean housing before students enter them for the year, which they never have looked clean and always are dusty and a mess before move in. Also, every year I've been here I have experienced mold in every dorm/apartment I have lived here. Including a mushroom that grew out of my bathroom floor. There are many things I could say about this college, but it would take years to read. Overall, do not go here unless you are looking to live home and just go to classes that you learn almost nothing in and get graded like you go to Yale and will take 30 min at minimum a day to find a parking spot.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015