StudentsReview :: The Ramapo College of New Jersey - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Montclair State University -- Upper Montclair, NJ
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, The -- Pomona, NJ

The Ramapo College of New Jersey

While the teachers are nice, the classes are

Oct 29 2014Physics
While the teachers are nice, the classes are underwhelming.
I entered as Undecided (Science) major, but have since decided that I wanted to major in Physics. Unfortunately, it turned out that their was no (Theoretical) Physics major, instead they had Engineering Physics. the web page for Engineering Physics advertised that it, "is designed for students who like physics, have strong aptitude in it, and are interested and excited by the applied or engineering aspects of it." Of course, they don't have a major designed for people who are interested in just how the universe works, and not the engineering applications (or vise versa).Another issue is that some classes aren't taught every semester. For instance, One of the classes I need to take is Differential Equations. this class isn't offered in the upcoming semester, even though it is a prerequisite for the more advanced courses!
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

Ramapo never helped me get a job

Oct 03 2014Communications
Ramapo never helped me get a job. Their internship program is a joke with no direction, as well as their communications program when I was there. Yes, I can think critically, and I am well-versed in theory, but employers don't care about that. In media, they want hard skills. And Ramapo has no network to tap like a brand name school has. Ramapo's legacy left to me is in the form of student loans to pay, and that it has made me extremely cynical about the value of a higher education/the institution of it and of life in general.

As I stated, if you want to go into media, you need technical skills. And you need a reel (a portfolio) showing off those skills. I unfortunately ran out of resources by the time I realized this deficiency. Technical skills don't mean squat if you don't have a network though. Networking is the most important thing for any career. If you doubt this, look around you. You've probably met or know about plenty of incompetent people that work jobs they shouldn't be, and others that are a success not because they're talented or skilled, but because they were in the right place at the right time or their work was seen by the right people.

I should've never picked Ramapo. However, I did make a friend for life, so they luck out that I can't hold everything against them. I wish I had known how how to properly research a school, like I do now. While this site existed back then, it was in its infancy. Don't be impressed by college tours. I am only aware of the powers of manipulation and coercion now, partly due to my education, ironically. Talk to people studying your field you want learn at the school you want to go to. That is the only way you will get an idea of if the school is a good fit for you, and I would say that's only from an academic standpoint. If you need to gauge a school's social life, you will have to arrange to stay there for a weekend with a student. Hope you have good connections. Buyer beware!And they still ask me for "donations."

Starting Job: Data Manager Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Ramapo never helped me get a job

Oct 03 2014Communications

As I stated, if you want to go into media, you need technical skills. And you need a reel (a portfolio) showing off those skills. I unfortunately ran out of resources by the time I realized this deficiency. Do an advanced project and two internships: one at a big company for the networking opportunities and one at a small company for (hopefully) hands-on experience. Technical skills don't mean squat if you don't have a network though. Networking is the most important thing for any career. If you doubt this, look around you. You've probably met or know about plenty of incompetent people that work jobs they shouldn't be, and others that are a success not because they're talented or skilled, but because they were in the right place at the right time or their work was seen by the right people.

Starting Job: Data Manager Preparedness: F Reputation: F