StudentsReview :: The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ
College of New Jersey, The -- Trenton, NJ

The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

Dec 06 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Stockton is a great school with a really friendly atmosphere, but the extracurriculars are pretty lacking. There isn't much school spirit, which is disappointing. But there are select groups of people that, if you get involved with them, you'll have an amazing time because they (hopefully like you!) care about Stockton.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Innovation: A+, Surrounding City: C+
Oct 02 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Every day I am amazed how great this school is. The buildings are beautiful, and clean. The staff is very friendly, helpful and willing to go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. The Professors are amazing. The knowledge and talent here is truly impressive. Also, the Professors are very helpful and interested in your progress. I actually look forward to classes.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: A-
Aug 01 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you are thinking of joining Stockton Alum, then chances are you are from New Jersey. If you are not, then I'm not sure how you even heard of this school.

I harbor very little animosity to my first alma mater. It runs a tight ship, and employs a fair share of excellent professors (and a fair share of adjuncts who don't give a damn, but are otherwise rather nice).I have my hang-ups with Stockton. Some are astoundingly petty like "Why do all these buildings ugly,gray and square? did they make this school in minecraft?" or "Why does no one crack-down on the damn NO-EATING policy in the library? I am quite tired of listening the Symphony of the Sunchips" while some of them are more drastic like "Why is my first-year learning seminar such an astounding waste of time?" or "How is this sort of learning going to help me? Is it even worth it?". These may be certain words of a disconfuzzled student, wet behind the ears after high school, but it was an actual concern of mine. The school itself is the very definition of the middle-of-the-road sort of school. It is not atrocious, but it is hardly spirit driving. It is OK, from an academic standpoint. Many students here are here just to get the degree process done and over with. On the flip-side,that means there's a niche group of kids who are here for the 'undergraduate' experience. I was of that group, but felt more like the ones who wanted it done and over with.

I made the choice to transfer after my first year (I was deemed by my cousin as possibly the first person ever to leave a school on the basis that it was "too easy". A disclaimer: it wasn't 'easy' it's just a lot of it was unrewarding). For all the good things at Stockton, I felt both unchallenged and out-of-place. Even with friends, the campus sequestered location can make one feel fairly trapped. I was an out-of-state student living on campus without a car. the most travel I could experience would be taking a shuttle to the Seaview Hotel (Stockton's own hotel-dorms, which has a rustic charm to it. Had I stayed, I would have been dorming here.) or a public bus to the Hamilton Mall or Atlantic City. If you like Atlantic City, that's one thing, but that has never been my cup of tea. Moreover, the Jersey shore in the dead of winter is quite solemn. I am transferring to a suburban school which situates itself closer to a Metropolitan area that adheres to my interests in studies

Even with this choice, I have a special place in my heart for this institution. The professors do care, the head of the education department (my major) is an absolute sweetheart and the Educ. program itself was pretty straight-forward, GenEd requirements aside.

If you are an incoming student, I have some professors to suggest to you off the bat: Franklin Smith (Acting/Theater), Marion Hussong (Literature), and Amy B. Jolley (Education). These professors were the best I had while I was there

Additionally, people will tell you N-Wing sucks. I disagree. Sure the food is not always good and is never the healthiest but 1) They have make your own stir fry and everything else can go home 2) Everyone who works there are sweet as pie.

The national park on which the school sits is absolutely beautiful. Taking a walk along Lake Fred (Yes. That's the actual name of the lake) at sunset is an experience that is hardly matched.

The people here are usually kind and come from such a variety of background it is astounding, most of which you will meet if you take night-time classesAt the end of the day, what pushes me away is the prospect of living in the area for the next 3-4 years. Not being a Jersey native, pursuing my education here is not something I desire. If you are a commuter than this is hardly an issue, but if you are living on-campus as someone who is hoping for a break from confinement, I would suggest another school.

Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: D